A Seasonista Wrote This...stuff

decaturcomp

Reaction score
I thought about calling this Berni's hideaway but lots of you folks are turning out good new stuff you've written for the Seasons. I'll bet you have other stuff, too.

Wave that flag.

Mind if I kick things off?

This is only my 3rd or 4th song that I'd care for anyone to hear. I thought maybe I'd throw it out here for suggestions. I wrote and recorded a version of it yesterday and tightened it up some today. Berni wrote me an encouraging note so I thought I'd keep working on it. I also thought we might try different versions of songs for comments before they go to the general public.

What have you gotten from the aether lately, friends?

Last edited:

This is only my 3rd or 4th song that I'd care for anyone to hear. I thought maybe I'd throw it out here for suggestions. I wrote and recorded a version of it yesterday and tightened it up some today. Berni wrote me an encouraging note so I thought I'd keep working on it. I also thought we might try different versions of songs for comments before they go to the general public.

Well that was just AMAZING!! I love it. Great playing and singing. A good song paints a good picture and this one did for me. Very nicely written lyrics. Three kinds of sweet tea?

Last edited:
Well that was just AMAZING!! I love it. Great playing and singing. A good song paints a good picture and this one did for me. Very nicely written lyrics. Three kinds of sweet tea?

Yeah, I might wanna rethink that line...
How about "all kinds of sweet tea, this and that...."?
Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

Here's one I wrote for Doug's season 108.

I wrote this one for Myrna's 19th Season of the Ukulele---songs about rivers. I grew up in Twin Falls, Idaho, just a couple miles from the Snake River canyon. My hometown's best known as the site of Evel Kneivel's failed attempt to jump a canyon in a "rocket bike".

New this morning so really just an idea at the moment,
Dig Another Hole.
Had to use two harmonicas.

Dig another hole
Like a greedy mole
Bring up what is down
Inside out the planet’s gown

Inject and chemically frack
Make those gas rocks crack
Till the water burns and bubbles
Now shouldn’t worry about the future’s troubles

Scrape away the worthless layers
Shove aside the nay sayers
Chop down the last darn tree
Those freakin’ chemicals need to be freed

Wring out those oil filled sands
Modern life has big demands
Ignore the fossil bones you find
That’ll never happen to human kind

Stick a hole in the ocean floor
Suck it all out right to the core
Gotta find those mother lodes
Til the hollow husk implodes

"Restraining Order"

This is a love song.

It's called "Restraining Order"

I wrote this one about 15 years ago. If you got into songwriting to get chicks, I do not recommend writing songs like this one.

- FiL

"Makeup"

This is one I did for Season 34. The theme was songs that use the I - V - vii - IV chord progression. I had this song sitting around for a long time, but was never quite satisfied with it. When I changed the verse chords to the aforementioned progression, the song finally felt finished. so thanks to the Seasons for helping birth this one.

- FiL

"Jennifer"

OK, last one for now. This is another song that was lying dormant for a few years before the Seasons gave it a new life. I did this for Season 42, which was all about crime. It's based on a true story I read in the local paper one day, and I was moved to write about it.

- FiL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxWEgxOEpik

FiL and I were just lamenting how many months in a row (all of them
frown.png
) we have intended to go to our local songwriter circle, and there's always some other great thing we go to instead ... and then we thought maybe we might need to start our own, at a more convenient time. Maybe this is our answer? A Seasonista songwriter circle right here whenever we have a moment for it!

Alan, I love your song! And "three kinds of sweet tea" is my very favorite line. (Even though I don't really understand it either. Sometimes sound and image matter more than meaning.) Please don't mess with it. :(

I just made a playlist of all the original I did for the seasons, mainly to see how many I did write. And I have written 22 (there is one double song in the playlist) so far.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3GDF5piGeGZiyyiL9ZEEzst1KpUA-q89
And just to show something here, one of my early works, that shows my love for coffee. Because some of you might have missed it:
This was for season 35 I need coffee in the morning (still true ;-)).

I wrote this one in the mid-oughties for a Christmas project I did with a friend. I get bummed every year as the holidays roll around that this song is still topical. Here I am singing it on a Maui beach in 2012 for eugene ukulele's holiday song contest.

Baby Shoes

Ernest Heminway was challenged to write a six word story.
It was For sale baby shoes never used and this was the inspiration
for tis song.

I am flattered that Alan considered naming this Berni's hideaway :eek:

My first contribution to this thread is the song I consider the most passionate I have written since joining the Seasons. It was written in response to that terrible attack by fanatics on a shopping mall in Kenya. The creators of wise old sayings got it wrong: Money is the root of all greed, it's organised religion that is the root of all evil.

Bad Sasquatch

Here's one I just did for season 112. I know I'll never be as prolific as Bernie, but this one pretty much wrote itself in just a couple of days.

Top Bottom