uke setup near San Jose

dirtiestkidever

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have 2 ukes that need some slight adjustments. One has a small buzz on the E string 2 and 3 fret. Another just needs lower action. I would really love to bring it someone who specializes in ukes as I have had some bad experiences in the past with places that were very reputable but didn't specialize in ukes. And it would be even better if I could stick around and watch rather than leaving it with them for several days which seems to be common. Does such a person / place exist? Does anyone have any recommendations in the area?

Thanks.

I'd talk to Smiley Kai. Smiley owns/operates "The Ukulele Source" in Japan Town on 5th Street in San Jose. I spend my mainland time in the tri-valley area, & have several go-to gurus a bit closer to me that handle Uke/guitar things I either don't have experience with or simply wish to avoid. http://www.ukulelesource.com/

Have another luthier resource in Fremont if Smiley can't help you, which I doubt will be the case. Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Aloha, NKO

Last edited:
And from reputation alone, there are Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, and Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz.

For minor issues, Ukulele Source might be able to help, though Smiley is much more a retailer than a service shop. He sends his pick-up work out, for instance. He can adjust action, though.

You our would be much better off taking the trip to Palo Alto and going to Gryphon Strings. They can literally do anything. They aren't cheap, but you can be assured that it will be done right. Though you will likely have to leave it. They are too busy working on $10,000 instruments to stop the line and put your uke through immediately. They reglued a bridge for me and it took about a week.

You might try C. B. Perkins in San Jose. I had a pickup put into a Pono and they were very reasonable.

You might try C. B. Perkins in San Jose. I had a pickup put into a Pono and they were very reasonable.

Ditto on Arr4fun's suggestion. C.B. Perkins are mainly luthiers that sell a few low-end ukes on the side. Eric Perkins is a good guy, charges reasonable prices and usually short waiting times.

My second choice in San Jose would be Guitar Showcase on S. Bascom. Ask for Kelly.

Gryphon, or if you want a bit of an adventure, see "Ukulele Dick", aka Rick McKee, in Felton in the Santa Cruz Mountains. His business is "Guitar Works", and you could also see his collection of about 250 vintage, art, and contemporary ukes. He's a really fine luthier, too. 831-335-3593

There's some guy in Sant Cruz named Rick Turner that knows a thing or two about lutherie also ;)

Rick Who?:biglaugh:

Yeah, but if that guy takes on one more project not directly related to his core business, his admin assistant will break a uke over his head...

Not in the fix-it biz at this time...unless a one year wait is OK...

Yeah, but if that guy takes on one more project not directly related to his core business, his admin assistant will break a uke over his head...

Not in the fix-it biz at this time...unless a one year wait is OK...

Yeah, but if that guy takes on one more project not directly related to his core business, his admin assistant will break a uke over his head....

Depending on the wood-type, angle of the blow & which portion of the instrument makes contact with the cranium, there could be some cathartic value in experiencing this type of blow -- plus, in my case, this could potentially re-align a fair number of neurotransmitters gone awry.. :wallbash:

Top Bottom