Is it okay to tighten screw in back of headstock?

quiltingshirley

Reaction score
I have a new ukulele and the A string is not holding at all. Can I just tighten the screw that's in the back of the headstock to make it tighter? Don't want to cause a problem but I also don't want to mail it back for the adjustment. It's a Makala Great White. The shark really shows up and I already have it hanging on the wall..

I'm assuming the tuners are friction type, not geared, and that you are referring to the screw at the centre of the tuner button. The screw does apply more turning resistance to the tuner, so it is OK to tighten it if the tuner is not holding tune.

Use a screwdriver that fits the slot(s) well, and beware of over tightening the screw. It should be just tight enough to hold, but not so tight that the tuner is difficult to turn. Some people tighten it as much as they can, thinking, "tighter is better", but that can damage the head of the screw, or even break the plastic tuner button.

You might be surprised how little tightening will get the job done. Easy does it.

These ukes have geared tuners.

Then, if the strings have settled in, it's likely a bad tuner. Kala has great customer service and will ship you a new one likety split!

Retied the A string on very securely and seeing if it'll hold. It's really a cute uke. One complaint I've always had with the Dolphins is that they are so shiny, they slip while I'm holding on even with a leash. This is a satin type of white and it doesn't seem to slip as much.

Top Bottom