Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FS:blackbird Tenor ukulele

Quote Originally Posted by NoKaOi View Post
    I've yet to sample the Clara -- although I'm more of a tenor guy, I'm anxious to see what flavour (for you Canadians..) the "Ekoa" offers to Blackbird's bullet-proof line of strumming devices..
    I tried out the Clara the other day (at Bernunzio in Rochester, NY) -- if I had discovered a forgotten $1500 in my pants pocket, I would have bought it. It was strung low-G, and had a full, deep, tenor-like sound. (Or maybe I'd buy this tenor for sale, and put the extra $600 back in the pocket.)

Tri-Valley (East SF Bay Area) / Lahaina, HI

Or maybe I'd buy this tenor for sale, and put the extra $600 back in the pocket.
    Yah, I'm not sure mixing in some Koa shavings & etching a grain pattern into the carbon fiber exonerates one from kissing those extra 6-snappers goodbye - plus, I'm more of a tenor dude anyway..

Had you played the BB carbon tenor, and if so ... did you experience any tonal difference(s) in the Ekoa??
    (apologies for the hijack - serious business/info exchange at work here.. )

Quote Originally Posted by KellyK View Post
    Thanks guys. In February I can go from here in Saskatoon at -40 and 0 % humidity to the usual Hawaii temperature and humidity and not worry.
    Let me know how you like it. I bought an outdoor uke for my winters and it didn't do that great. Not terrible, but not quite what I wanted. The blackbird is a little out of my price range, but their guitars are great.

I just got a Clara (at the Reno Festival).
    I played one at NAMM and was blown away, but I am really a tenor guy.
    Also NAMM is really noisy so it was hard to hear it.
    At Reno I could really hear it. It will probably be a few years before the E-Koa tenor will be developed.
    I played the black tenor and it has a great sound, but the Clara has a more robust voice to me.
    Being that it is several inches shorter and well it will make an excellent travel uke as well.
    Keep Strummin'

Quote Originally Posted by SailingUke View Post
    I just got a Clara (at the Reno Festival).
    I played one at NAMM and was blown away, but I am really a tenor guy.
    Also NAMM is really noisy so it was hard to hear it.
    At Reno I could really hear it. It will probably be a few years before the E-Koa tenor will be developed.
    I played the black tenor and it has a great sound, but the Clara has a more robust voice to me.
    Being that it is several inches shorter and well it will make an excellent travel uke as well.
    I had been after a used Blackbird tenor for quite some time, but since the come on the market fairly infrequently, I recently ordered a Clara (having mine made with Pegheds). I tipped to the Clara for its richer tone and greater portability. They both sound great to me and had this Blackbird tenor been offered a few weeks ago, a might have done that route instead.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Tri-Valley (East SF Bay Area) / Lahaina, HI

I just got a Clara (at the Reno Festival). I played one at NAMM and was blown away, but I am really a tenor guy. Also NAMM is really noisy so it was hard to hear it. At Reno I could really hear it. It will probably be a few years before the E-Koa tenor will be developed. I played the black tenor and it has a great sound, but the Clara has a more robust voice to me.
    I recently ordered a Clara (having mine made with Pegheds). I tipped to the Clara for its richer tone and greater portability. They both sound great to me and had this Blackbird tenor been offered a few weeks ago, a might have done that route instead.
    Mahalo for this info, folks! & please excuse my poor attempt at humor regarding the "Ekoa" comments. I know how serious Joe & Kyle are about their product and have great respect for the research that was involved in the development of these novel instruments -- I really appreciate the input & comparison to the std c.f. model.

Now, whether to roll out to the city & get one in my hands, or try to avoid teasing myself & hold off until my larger preferenced instrument is developed(?) That'll be a good pre-Hawaii quandary for the next few weeks..

Thread Information