NUD thread for everyone who received their East-Start arch-top ukulele

You're right Bruce. That looks like exactly what I got. Who knows ... that thing could have shot clear across the room and landed in my uke.

He told me "minus shipping". Which means, the cost of shipping both ways would end up being the same cost as the uke. .

That is the case with many, many of the Chinese sellers on eBay, for example. They sell something for $10 and charge $90 shipping - knowing that even if you file a claim with eBay buyer protection they won't lose the shipping costs, which is where they're really making the money because they charge far more than the shipping actually costs them.

John

Here's a photo of mine with my '64 Gibson ES330.

The neck feels alot like my 330. Love the neck for sure. They make a good neck and body; too bad they put such crappy electronics and little attention to detail. It would be one sweet uke.

Wish it were red to match the 330...heck, maybe I'll get it paitnted lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0361.jpg
    IMG_0361.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 65
Well mine FINALLY turned up. They had the address slightly wrong. They had 2114 King Street rather than 2/14 King street but the Post office rang me up and sorted it out.

Mines the same as everyone else's. No surprises there. A quick measurement of the scale length says that they positioned the saddle at the theoretical position and left no room for compensation. This is actually a common error for many builders. High end builders as well as budget builders. I'll pull out the vernier callipers and do a very careful measure up soon.

Initial impressions is that it has good sustain and a good tone. With the strings it came with I don't feel like taking it up to GCEA. The tension is happier at EAC#F#.

Nice case. I measured it against some of my collection. A tenor ukulele is a loose fit. I have a slightly oversize 8 string tenor that fits nicely and surprisingly, a 19" scale baritone JUST squeezes in. Very tight around the body but good room for the headstock.

Anthony

Last edited:
Organise yourselves to sell one at a time on eBay, and recouperate at least some of your outlay.

Only one or two mentioned they may sell theirs. I've done a good setup on mine and never had any intention of selling it. In fact, I like the darker brown color better than the bright red on the East-Start photos.

Do you want the double cutaway? The double is like the Gibson ES 335, the single cutaway is like the Gibson ES 350.

Do you want the double cutaway? The double is like the Gibson ES 335, the single cutaway is like the Gibson ES 350.

I'd like a double cutaway, like the one Patrick and Dennis got. I would have ordered that one if I had known the one I did order wasn't available.

Has anyone else recorded a video with their East-Start baby, yet? If so, let's see them in action!

Here is my entry for the Seasons of the Ukulele this week using mine.

As the more perceptive among you will notice I am not playing this live. I wanted to add the sound straight from the video camera - but I couldn't get the sync 100% right and the sound was much purer on the multi-track MP3 that I recorded last night.

Basically, for the Rhythm Ukulele, you'll hear the clean sound for the first verse and chorus, then a phase pedal kicks in, followed by a distortion, followed by a real dirty grunge style distortion before returning to a phase and chorus pedal for the end. The solo was a kind of dirty blues sound. All courtesy of my Zoom GFX 8.

I am no Eric Clapton, but I had some fun making this.

If only they had sent me the model I wanted I would be a very happy boy right now!

PS It should be sung by a woman, obviously.

Last edited:
Has anyone else recorded a video with their East-Start baby, yet? If so, let's see them in action!

Curiously enough, my Seasons video this week was also not only using my Alida, but also my new (used) Zoom G3 - simpler than Berni did (a single patch, since I am still learning), but the same basic rig.

Also, this is the first original song I have ever done for Seasons - the first completed piece of music I have done in decades. It's a bit of a lark, but I think it's fun, and it's short.

Here is my entry for the Seasons of the Ukulele this week using mine.

Hey Berni, this is my first view of the brown color, I like it better than my dark brown (supposed to be red).

Berni brown uke.png

1 ES Mine.jpg

Last edited:
Mike, I think mine is the same colour, but there was a lot of Mediterranean sun out this morning so I think that's influenced the colour balance on the camera. I reckon another shortcut East-Start did was to only produce Green and Brown ones. Has anyone got a different colour? Did anyone who ordered a blue get one? Or a red?

There were 8 reds ordered, 3 greens and 1 blue by hammer40. He's posted on either this or the other thread. This is all going in my dissertation about the experience, to come in the next couple of days in a new post.

Reviving this old thread for I don't want to step on the "fix-up" thread. Am I the only non "red/brown" uke that was delivered (since I mistakingly received a green)? I didn't see any mention by anyone else of other colors. Any other greens out there? How about the blue?

Last edited:
Got home last night and got round to opening my new Alida box.

Very quick first impressions .....

Its a cracking looking instrument, didn't seem to have any issues with the electrics and sounds great through my little Vox 3.

The tailpiece / string layout looks odd, so I'll be changing for the 4 string tail, but the strings line up nicely along the fretboard using the fitted bridge, although I'll be changing that out too.

Tuners don't seem up to holding the strings in tune, but I'll look at tightening them, or just swapping them out.

The scale length, being somewhere between tenor and concert, is ideal for me ..... I couldn't have planned a more perfect size, and the string spacing again suits me brilliantly.

Yes, it needs a wee bit of work to tidy up the f holes, slim down the nut and sort out the sharp fret edges, but I've cleaned up the frets on all my ukes, so it's hardly an issue.

Even the case is better than I could have hoped for.

As a 'tinkerer', I can't wait to mess about with this new uke, although it's perfectly playable as it is!

Thanks again to all involved in this wonderful gift ..... it'll be treasured, no matter what! :D

Welcome Home Keith! Bigtime Welcome. Glad you like the Alida, it was our sincere pleasure to offer such a small gift to a person such as yourself.

Top Bottom