Pet peeves (or, don't ever do that again!)

People who refer to the first string (A) as the "bottom" string. No, that's the "top" string.

"The uke is tuned like the bottom four strings of the guitar with a capo at the fifth fret." No, it's tuned like the top four strings of the guitar capo'd at the fifth fret. :rolleyes:

Urgh! Drives me nuts and so many people do it that it perpetuates the wrong nomenclature because, hey, "I read it on UU from someone who's been playing longer than me so it must be true."

It bugs me when people say "top" or "bottom" instead of "high" or "low".

It bugs me when people say "top" or "bottom" instead of "high" or "low".

Fair enough, but on a standard uke tuned re-entrant G, neither the top nor the bottom string are "low"; in fact they're the two highest pitches of the four...
so you sorta have to refer to the 'A' and "G" as 'top' and "bottom" because the lowest strings are the middle two. Whew...I need a brandy :p

Finally thought of something - people who, when they find I play ukulele, ask if I know Tiptoe Through The Tulips. No offense, Mr. Tim.

What you should do is get Jumpin' Jim's book. Has a killer version of TTTT you could proceed to wow them with.

In the same vein: I can't stand the 'gCEA' notation for re-entrant tuning. It's wrong in two ways.
- it suggests Helmholtz pitch notation (developped for labelling organ pipes) but isn't. Helmholtz uses upper case letter for lower octaves and lower case ones for higher notes, adding commas and quotation marks when moving away from the center. The ukulele is tuned in G4-C4-E4-A4, which in Helmholz is simply g'c'e'a'.
- anyway, for re-entrant tuning the g-pitch is in between the e and the a, so there's no need for it to be in a different notation than the other strings. Linear tuning does, because the g then falls in a different octave than the other ones.

Okay, I'll add another one...

People who insist on referring to chord/lyric sheets as "tabs."

OMG this absolutely drives me up the wall. I hate it when I do a search for tabs of a song and get all excited after finding them - only to discover they are chord sheets. There is a special place in hell for people that do that.

OMG this absolutely drives me up the wall. I hate it when I do a search for tabs of a song and get all excited after finding them - only to discover they are chord sheets. There is a special place in hell for people that do that.

I'll raise you ...those who refer to lyric /chord sheets as Chord "Charts".AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGh.

Course it could just be I am intolerant .......

my pet peeve is when some chumpo steals your shades while your looking at ukulele.

if you know it ain't yours, don't touch; if you do know to whom it belongs, kindly return it.

Incessant noodling when someone is talking. My wife does that. It's the only thing she does I don't like so I guess that's pretty good. The jam session leader hates it, and gives us the stink eye, so I nudge her under the table. She hates that.

I'll raise you ...those who refer to lyric /chord sheets as Chord "Charts".AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGh.

Course it could just be I am intolerant .......

CeeJay Intolerant? Surely not :rofl:

Yes .....and ? ....it doesn't mean that the term doesn't peeve me off ...............;)

"Chord Chart" does have the virtue of being more accurate than "Tab" for a Chord/Lyric sheet.

Top Bottom