Music Stands

For a tabletop stand at uke meetings and at home, I have found this bamboo cookbook stand to be sturdy and capable of holding up the Daily Ukulele books : http://amzn.com/B002JM0RN2 . It folds flat and it's not too heavy to throw in a canvas grocery bag to take along to meetings.

That looks like it would hold an iPad nicely too - I use OnSong and am always trying to find a decent way to stand the device up in portrait mode.

Stand has Arrives

So, that stand got here, and I am quite pleased. Assembly/disassembly, about thirty seconds each. It is not as sturdy as an all-steel orchestra stand, the desk is plastic, and there is fiberglass in the upright; however, it weighs considerably less than my regular stands, and is a lot sturdier than the wire stands. It is much easier to stick into my gig bag, and even comes with a handle for carrying.

The box, when it's open, serves as a place you can put pencils, pens, tuner, lights, extra batteries, and it supports a five-pound book, no problem.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

(I dunno why the images rotated ...)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I'll try a few more pictures:

Here's the stand next to my ProLine and OnStage steel stands ...

IMG_2355.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

IMG_2357.jpg

I stand corrected. Desca does use paypal. You just don't know it's an option until after you check out and fill in all your shipping information. I suggested he add the paypal logo to his website so everyone knows this is a payment option prior to checkout.
Don't you just hate that? A lot of sites will include all kinds of other info about shipping in their FAQ but never tell you what payment they accept up front. I shouldn't have to put an item in my cart and start entering personal information before I know what payment they accept.

Ran across this the other day at a (non-uke) site and decided to contact them to ask. Guess what? You can't even use their "contact" form unless you include a phone # because it's a mandatory field. :rolleyes:

Did I ever put a link up for the Peak stands? Or is there one on this thread? I didn't see one, but was reading fast.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/peak-music-stands-portable-music-stand

I still have my old Hamilton floor stand from when I was in beginning band. Still works great and I started band in 1980. For a cheap floor stand, they seem to hold up. I have a few of the one piece floor stands and they are pretty flimsy - I think they were made by Protec. I still have them, but they aren't very good. Work in a pinch. I also have a heavy, Manhasset symphony stand. All metal and pretty secure, but you have to put tennis balls on the feet to keep from scratching the floor up.

I really want to try a Peak.

Got my Desca stand in today. Very impressed with the stand and customer service. Reed at Desca answered my few questions quickly.

+1 with everything Steve says above. I especially like the cubby space to stow the tuner and whatever else you want to stick in there.

FWIW, that's just the top half of a regular Hamilton two-piece folding stand to which they added a little rubber end to either keep it from scratching the tabletop or sliding around.

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Folding-Stand-Chrome-section/dp/B001ANPT2U/

Granted, some folding stands these days are one-piece, so they won't work on a tabletop. But if you want both capabilities (desktop and full stand), just make sure you get a two-piece.

Forr what it's worth, the Hamilton stand to which this link goes at amazon.com is advertized there as a "two piece" stand, but I don't think "two piece" means what I thought it would mean because the top part is not removable. I think "two piece" means that there are two bars in the stand itself, which allows for height adjustment in two places. I was unable to find at Hamilton's website any folding hamilton stand in which the top part comes off and can be used as a standalone tabletop stand.

Got my Desca stand in today. Very impressed with the stand and customer service. Reed at Desca answered my few questions quickly.

+1 with everything Steve says above. I especially like the cubby space to stow the tuner and whatever else you want to stick in there.

Do you think a storage bag is needed? That's the one item the Peak Stand has an dis stopping me from ordering it.

I'm a woodworker by trade, and have made my own unique Uke stand that I've been selling on Etsy.

image.jpg

Forr what it's worth, the Hamilton stand to which this link goes at amazon.com is advertized there as a "two piece" stand, but I don't think "two piece" means what I thought it would mean because the top part is not removable. I think "two piece" means that there are two bars in the stand itself, which allows for height adjustment in two places. I was unable to find at Hamilton's website any folding hamilton stand in which the top part comes off and can be used as a standalone tabletop stand.
All I know is the top part of my Hamilton comes off and can be used as a tabletop stand. I've had it for probably 20 years and can't tell you about their current models.

You guys are funny. I had a stand that folded up to pretty much nothing for years. Recently one of my students gave me a big, steel Manhasset. I can't believe what I've been missing! It's so sturdy you could weld your mixer to it...

You guys are funny. I had a stand that folded up to pretty much nothing for years. Recently one of my students gave me a big, steel Manhasset. I can't believe what I've been missing! It's so sturdy you could weld your mixer to it...
I only use a cheapo folding stand on the go.

Yes, a nice sturdy stand makes a huge difference. For daily use at home, I have a heavy duty Belmonte like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Belmonte-Orchestra-Stand-Deluxe-Black/dp/B000CDUDQG/

But mine's white, don't think they make those any more.

On the holiday wish list is not a new uke but a Desca & Fholder.

Have had a big honkin' Manhasset in a previous life & a few of the wire-ish ones. The wirey ones may work for others but if I ever see another one in person, I'd like to not just have it recycled, but see it smelted in molten metal. Or toss it into an active volcano.

This video cracked me up & is more true than funny, including the holey snow shovel...

Desca demo for those interested... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB1oRiYxvFA

Great video. This is a lot better than the ones with plastic parts that don't even last a year. This is a good reason for memorizing songs!

Liking my Konig Meyer, German made, light weight w/carry bag and a 5 yr warranty.

I've had my K&M Heavy Duty music stand for 2 years and it has held up really well. Folds up and fits in my music bag. (It comes with a case.) It's pretty stable outdoors with mild breezes. I attach a cup holder and a ukulele holder to it when I play. Works really well. Very stable.

K M Heavy Duty Music Stand.jpg

They make an Extra Heavy Duty one, but I haven't seen one of those yet.

Last edited:
All I know is the top part of my Hamilton comes off and can be used as a tabletop stand. I've had it for probably 20 years and can't tell you about their current models.
I've got that stand and have had it way more than 20 years. Every stand has its trade offs.

Top Bottom