Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken ukulele.....twice:(

Default Broken ukulele.....twice:(

Hi everyone!I'm new to this forum,my name is andrea and I'm from Italy.
    I just bought an ukulele "arrow" and i've been practicing all yesterday.
    Today i was strumming a little when suddnely the bottom wooden piece( the one attached with glue, it serves to reinforce the wood against the pressure created when the strings are plucked) deatched,removed from the body. I went to the shop and got it changed,then,back home, I gently tuned the ukulele,but the last chord made the same piece of wood deatch.
    What should I do?remove the glue and put my self some hot glue?i don't know what to do
    thanks for help and sorry for the long post!

I would say go back to the store and pick up a different brand or model..
    generem ( je ne rem )

YT Channel

Quote Originally Posted by misterM View Post
    Hi everyone!I'm new to this forum,my name is andrea and I'm from Italy.
    I just bought an ukulele "arrow" and i've been practicing all yesterday.
    Today i was strumming a little when suddnely the bottom wooden piece( the one attached with glue, it serves to reinforce the wood against the pressure created when the strings are plucked) deatched,removed from the body. I went to the shop and got it changed,then,back home, I gently tuned the ukulele,but the last chord made the same piece of wood deatch.
    What should I do?remove the glue and put my self some hot glue?i don't know what to do
    thanks for help and sorry for the long post!
    Not sure exactly what happened...how about a picture? I may be able to help you then...thanks, e.lo...
    Dude...it's a ukulele! www.dudeitsaukulele.com

ok this is not me and not my ukulele,but the thing that happened is this
    http://files.splinder.com/bb6c31977d...d53c625a5.jpeg

maybe you didn't wait long enough for the glue to "cure".
    Cliff Rock - I have a severe ukulele learning disability

Basically, the bridge came off.

Possible problems:

1) The ukulele you bought is no good.

2) The strings are tuned too high.

or

3) The strings you purchased are for a larger size ukulele which the smaller ukulele cannot handle.

Those are the only things I can think of. Sorry to hear about it.

If you're getting the bridge glued back, make sure it's clamped on while it cures.

Successful sellers: Nuprin (Mele Tenor Koa/Mahogany Electric on 11/2009)
    Successful buyers: Tomdini (Pono Tenor Mango Cutaway Electric on 10/2009)

ok this is not me and not my ukulele,but the thing that happened is this
    http://files.splinder.com/bb6c31977d...d53c625a5.jpeg
    misterM, thanks for the pic. Yes, that would be a pic of a '"bridge" coming off. You can try to glue it back on yourself. A couple things to make sure you do is...
    1. Do not try to glue the bridge back on without cleaning the old glue off.
    2. Make sure that the bottom of the bridge AND the body where the bridge will be attached is free of any finish. You must glue the bridge to the body using only clean, bare wood to wood. If you try to glue the bridge to a finished top it will come off every time. So have a good, clean, dry, bare wood to wood contact.
    3. Use Titebond |, ||, or |||
    4. Use a "C" clamp through the soundhole to clamp the bridge. (watch for movement of the bridge piece once clamp. It will want to wander a bit.)
    5. Wait at least 24 hours of the bridge to dry. Two days if you want to be sure...
    6. If it comes off again....then the only thing I can think of is that the body wood is not finished drying out. (i.e. still green wood with moisture trying to evaporate).
    Some lower end ukulele companies that come from Asia or elsewhere will use fairly, fresh cut wood to crank out a product and will skip the drying out stage for the wood. The results are bridges poping off, finishes that start to flake off, etc.. Good luck with the bridge...e.lo....

thank you guys,you have been really helpful.
    Tomorrow I'll try.Anyway mine is a reaaaaly cheap made in china ukulele,i wonder if the instrument has been built with wood or plastic
    i wanna try the ukulele if i'm gonna love it i'll buy a better one for sure!
    i'll let you know.
    see ya

p.s wich tool do you suggest me to use to take off the glue?i don't wanna finish up carving the body!
    Last edited by misterM; 02-07-2009 at 08:15 AM.

Use a fine grain sandpaper to take off the old glue.

thank you guys,you have been really helpful.
    Tomorrow I'll try.Anyway mine is a reaaaaly cheap made in china ukulele,i wonder if the instrument has been built with wood or plastic
    i wanna try the ukulele if i'm gonna love it i'll buy a better one for sure!
    i'll let you know.
    see ya

p.s wich tool do you suggest me to use to take off the glue?i don't wanna finish up carving the body!
    misterM, getting the glue off is sort of hit-or-miss. You will just have to eye-ball it and think about it. Some first go-to tools might be a utility raser blade used as a scraper (take it out of the knife to use) to get the heavy stuff off then sand paper for the rest. It doesn't have to be pretty since both surfaces will not be seen by the eye. The idea is to just get a good contact between the two pieces of wood.

P.S. remember to blue tape on the top of the uke around your working area to avoid the occassional slip of the raser blade. Good luck...e.lo...

Thread Information