What are you listening to?

Little Feat (Waiting for Columbus), Pat Metheny Group, Weather Report and Randy Newman among others

On another thread, I mentioned "The Firebird" by Stravinsky. It reminded me that I had not listened to it for several years. I found this wonderful version online:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZkIAVGlfWk

Forty-five minutes well spent.

John Colter.

Tom Misch - Geography
The Felice Brothers - Celebration, Florida
Alan Gogoll - solo acoustic

Pierce Pettis- his first new album in 10 years. So far so good as I have only heard two tracks..
Still working my way through the Beatles White Album 6 CD box set. My favorite Beatles album for years. The box set is revelatory.
Have tickets to Alan Parsons in April.

I've been on a Chicago kick the last two days.

- The Chicago Transit Authority
- Chicago II
- Chicago III (just ordered it online)
- Chicago V
- Chicago VI
- Chicago VII

Other than a handful of songs here and there, I pretty much lose interest in Chicago after Chicago VII. It might be easy for a lot of people to dismiss Chicago as kind of a wimpy, soft-rock, top-40 love ballad band but it's hard to deny how good and how talented this band was in their early years. They were stretching boundaries. Their horn section was super tight, they had 3 lead singers and they were all excellent on their respective insturment(s). For me, they started slipping downhill after VII and were never the same with the loss of Terry Kath and the growing prominance of Peter Cetera's love ballads. This band had the stuff to back up the balls it took to make their first 3 releases double albums and their 4th a 4 album live set. Lots of great stuff!!

Last edited:
I've been on a Chicago kick the last two days.

- The Chicago Transit Authority
- Chicago II
- Chicago III (just ordered it online)
- Chicago V
- Chicago VI
- Chicago VII

Other than a handful of songs here and there, I pretty much lose interest in Chicago after Chicago VII. It might be easy for a lot of people to dismiss Chicago as kind of a wimpy, soft-rock, top-40 love ballad band but it's hard to deny how good and how talented this band was in their early years. They were stretching boundaries. Their horn section was super tight, they had 3 lead singers and they were all excellent on their respective insturment(s). For me, they started slipping downhill after VII and were never the same with the loss of Terry Kath and the growing prominance of Peter Cetera's love ballads. This band had the stuff to back up the balls it took to make their first 3 releases double albums and their 4th a 4 album live set. Lots of great stuff!!

Agreed, the early Chicago albums are among my favorite 70's albums. And they've aged quite well! I recently picked up Chicago II - the Steven Wilson remix. He remixed the album from the ground up and it's fantastic. Not radically different but has a great fresh sound- you can hear things that were buried in the mix before.

Time Out by Dave Brubeck:

Blue Rondo à la Turk
Strange Meadow Lark
Take Five
Three to Get Ready
Kathy's Waltz
Everybody's Jumpin’
Pick Up Sticks

"Time Out" - Wow! That takes me back! I bought that album when I was living in Toronto in 1959. I was twenty-one years of age.

I must be getting old.................

John Colter.

220px-TomPettyLiveAnthology.jpg
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - The Live Anthology (4-CD)

In general, I'm not a fan of live performance albums/CDs. Often times the live performances pale in comparison to the studio releases or songs are performed so differently that I don't care to hear the live version. This 4-CD collection is definitely an exception! It's an excellent testament to how exceptional Petty and this band were. Petty states in the liner notes that the Heartbreakers were always a live band first and these recordings leave no doubt about that. It's stunning that these recordings span over a 25 year period yet they are all so solid. There aren't any weaker performances signaling a band still trying to find its sound, the sound was there from the very beginning. Whether listening to the discs seperately or back to back there is a cohesive flow to the selected songs which make it seem as if you were listening to a single concert rather than 4-CDs cobbled together from many different shows. The performances are all solid and strong whether they are performing familiar hits, covers or the lesser known songs. Highly recommended!

Keiran Kane - Shadows on the Ground
Kamasi Washington - The Epic
Smudge - Manilow
Godstar - Sleeper
Ry Cooder - Jazz
Daniel Bachman - River

Ranky Tanky’s self-titled first album. (Info below pulled from Wikipedia, since I couldn’t exactly remember all the details!)

That bit about their name is a spot on synopsis of how I feel listening to their music. If you’re a fan of music that puts you in a good mood and carries some pretty amazing (imho) history with it, I’d highly recommend checking them out.

Ranky Tanky is an American musical ensemble based in Charleston, South Carolina. It specializes in jazz-influenced arrangements of traditional Gullah music, a culture that originated among descendants of enslaved Africans in the Lowcountry region of the US Southeast.

... The name "Ranky Tanky" comes from a Gullah expression roughly translated as 'get funky.' The overall goal of the group was to create a contemporary interpretation of the Gullah musical vocabulary to share with the world, while remaining true to the pared-down, working-class attitude of the songs.

Landed about 6 of Dolly's CDs so going through them. Saw her for her 50th anniversary at the Opry last month. Another one off my bucket list.

~Round Midnight
~My Funny Valentine
~A Night in Tunisia

Top Bottom