What are you listening to?

Shape of You

Been listening to a lot of Radiohead lately. Love their newer album "Moon Shaped Pool". A lot of great acoustic style/laid back stuff on there that I plan to try with the uke.

I am going back to the music of my youth. 50s and 60s jazz. Cannonball, Miles, 'trane and Dave Brubeck and that era. And my all-time favorites Monk and Charlie Parker. Great stuff.

Lately, I’ve been listening to a lot of banjo and mandolin music, trying to figger out what the heck I’m supposed to be doin’. Most of ‘em play so fast their fingers are just a blur, so I dunno what good it’s doin’. Even my ears can barely keep up with the tunes.

Well, it’s cheaper than private lessons. :eek:ld:

Chili making days are typically CD listening days but today is an untypical session as I added sipping bourbon today at 9:30 AM. Am I a bad person? :uhoh:

CTA.jpg
Chicago Transit Authority - This was Chicago's first album and what a fine one it is. For those who only know Chicago by their hits they should check out the other stuff on their albums because this band was much deeper than their hits. (At least for the first 8 albums or so) They were the real deal with chops to burn.

Petty.jpg
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Anthology
Tom Petty wasn't really on my radar back in the day when he was releasing his stuff but a deep respect and appreciation came decades later and left me wondering why it took me so long. I think that Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers might be one of the best American bands of all time. Great stuff!

Ufo Tofu - Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (w/Howard Levy). Great! :eek:ld:

The Flecktones - Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (w/Howard Levy). Another great one. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
Freddy Fender: “Before the Next Teardrop Falls”. //Encore!//
Good drinkin’ music. But I gotta watch the guy two stools down, he’s lookin’ at me . . .

“Wanted: The Outlaws; Waylen Jennings, Willie Nelson, Jessi Colter and Tompall Glaser.” ‘Nuther round here, Chief.

I had a really good time tonight. I hope I wake up tomorrow. :cheers: :eek:ld:

Last edited:
Sam Phillips (World On Sticks). Love her music and sort of handmade approach to recording. Also can't wait to hear the Beatles white album re-issue (Giles Martin remix).

On the live music front- a few weeks ago we saw Alison Kraus open for Willie Nelson. Alison was amazing.. I hadn't seen Willie for 30 years but he was in fine form- "I woke up still not dead again today" still stuck in my mind..

As usual I'm all over the map

Last edited:
Been listening to a lot of Radiohead lately. Love their newer album "Moon Shaped Pool". A lot of great acoustic style/laid back stuff on there that I plan to try with the uke.

that is a cool album.. Just ran across it this morning and was thinking it's time to revisit it.

“Half Nelson” - Willie sings with various guest singers—Ray Charles, Julio Iglesias. Carlos Santana, Hank Williams, George Jones and others. A terrific CD.

////Encore////. Set ‘em up again, Chief. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
I finally got around to filing away the piles of CDs that have been accumulating over the years. It just reconfirmed to me that I have way too many CDs and that I really never have to ever buy another one. As I sorted through the stacks and reordered much of my collection I was finding a ton of CDs that I didn't remember having and many artists I don't remember at all. If I ever get the itch for a new CD all I'd have to do is peruse my current collection and I could pick any number of CDs that I don't remember so it would be just like listening to a new CD!

download.jpgdownload.jpg
Les McCann - Swiss Movement and In New York

I love Les McCann's groove on the piano and the sidemen on both albums are steller. These are both winners!

Top Bottom