What are you listening to?

Thanks for the tip, gotta watch him, and congrants on the National.... And, rigth now I'm listening to the Dandy Warhols... Welcome to the monkey house...

"New World Symphony" -Dvorak. Fritz Reiner, Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Magnificent, inspiring . . .

"Symphonie Fantastique" Berlioz. London Symphony Orchestra - Sir Colin Davis. One of my favorite symphonies. I always find "The Witches Sabbath" exciting. I love the "Dies Irae" on the tuba. Very good with Scotch - ummm.

It's been a difficult week; I needed some good music and a drink or two. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
I have the Toscanini set on records - great! I have a Von Karajan CD set too, and it's good except for the ninth, which I always find disappointing. The last movement is just kinda flat compared to the Toscanini.

When those "angels" sing in the last movement (my imagination), I get chills - beautiful! :eek:ld:

I have the Toscanini set on records - great! I have a Von Karajan CD set too, and it's good except for the ninth, which I always find disappointing. The last movement is just kinda flat compared to the Toscanini.

When those "angels" sing in the last movement (my imagination), I get chills - beautiful! :eek:ld:
Bernstein's last iteration of the 4th is the only disappointment on this Deutsche Grammophon set..............very lack-luster/dull.

I've finally succumbed and joined the masses by getting an iphone this last year. (My first smart phone.) I have more memory on it than I'll ever need so I've been importing a ton of music onto it from my CD collection via my computer. It's been an interesting journey. Some of the decisions were obvious and easy. I imported the entire Beatles catalog without a 2nd thought. Also all of Steely Dan and Donald Fagan. On the jazz front, I had to have Kind Of Blue by Miles Davis, Lester Young and the Oscar Peterson Trio, Jim Hall's Concierto (for the nearly 20 minute Concierto de Aranjuez alone), Chet by Chet Baker, The Jazz Crusaders' Complete Pacific Jazz Studio Sessions and the 5-CD JSP Jellyroll Morton box set. I had to have some Ray Charles so I imported his 6-CD Atlantic box set and his Modern Sounds In Country And Western Music vol. 1-2. There were several other obvious favorites imported but once I got them downloaded, the decisions started to get a bit more difficult. Over the years I've managed to accumulate over 1000 CDs! What do I choose? The wealth of options gets kind of overwhelming. I'll listen to samples of candidates I'm considering and I'll either give them a go or decide that they aren't "phone worthy". Are too many options too much of a good thing? Do you ever get paralyzed by having too many options?

Like you Mike, I also have well over 1000 cd's. I haven't downloaded any to my smartphone, but a whole lot of them are on a MP3 player I use while exercising.......... many are those same cd's that you mention in your post. I have the MP3 set to the random jukebox mode, so I never know what plays next. There are so many songs, that I find myself jumping to the next random selection fairly often. Boredom? Not in the mood? Suddenly don't like a song? Too much of a good thing me thinks......... always looking for something better.

I, too, have a lotta CDs and many records. I don't have a phone or MP3. I just play 'em on my CD or phono player. But I too have trouble trying to decide what to play. I haven't bought any new ones for a long time because I decided that I'd rather have DVDs, but I've since found that there really aren't many worth having. Most of them are for instruction.

I was gonna put them on an MP3 (?) player or something, but, then, what would I do with all the CDs? So, heck. I just kept 'em as is.

I'm not very modern I guess, but I just don't wanna be bothered to change 'em. They're okay as is . . . :eek:ld:

Do you ever get paralyzed by having too many options?

Oh yeah. Big time! I was an early adopter of the MP3 and converted all of my CDs and records years ago - my iTunes on my main computer has close to 60,000 songs on it, and then there's more on hard drives and an old 160GB iPod.

I actually like the fact that my iPhone 6 only has limited storage capacity (128GB) - it forces me to choose what I really want to have with me and helps me realize what I enjoy listening to the most.

Oh yeah. Big time! I was an early adopter of the MP3 and converted all of my CDs and records years ago - my iTunes on my main computer has close to 60,000 songs on it, and then there's more on hard drives and an old 160GB iPod.

I actually like the fact that my iPhone 6 only has limited storage capacity (128GB) - it forces me to choose what I really want to have with me and helps me realize what I enjoy listening to the most.

Wow, you've really got a lotta tunes. You must listen to music constantly and have every piece ever written.

Remember those guys who usta shuffle around with those HUGE stereos on their shoulders? Listening is a lot more comfortable nowadays. I was gonna buy some Bose headsets. Music sounds great on them, but i was a radio operator in the Air Force and couldn't face wearing those hot old things again.

It's amazing what we've all done to listen to music. It's really powerful. :eek:ld:

Wow, you've really got a lotta tunes. You must listen to music constantly and have every piece ever written.

Remember those guys who usta shuffle around with those HUGE stereos on their shoulders? Listening is a lot more comfortable nowadays. I was gonna buy some Bose headsets. Music sounds great on them, but i was a radio operator in the Air Force and couldn't face wearing those hot old things again.

It's amazing what we've all done to listen to music. It's really powerful. :eek:ld:

I love my Bose, and I have some of the cheaper ones. Eventually, I'll buy a pair of the actual noise-cancelling ones.

I'm back to listening to Home Free again. They do a lot of country acappella (how do you spell that, anyway?).

They did Elvira with the Oakridge Boys.

Top Bottom