Ukulele Fretboard Radius

Cocobolo Ukuleles

Reaction score
Hello all,

We are experimenting with radiused fretboards and I am hoping to get some feedback from the UU community.

We are debating between 12", 16", or 20" fretboard radius. Any thoughts or opinions?

I appreciate your feedback,

Kevin

The folks at HMS sell several ukes that have radiused fretboards. I wonder if they know what radius was used in the building of these instruments and could tell you.

Thanks for your input KnowsPickin. I was reading on Mya-Moe's web page, and it looks like they put a 12" fretboard radius on all of their ukes.

However, I spoke with John Gonzalez at Fan Guitar and Ukulele in Richmond, Virginia, and he suggests sticking with a mellower fretboard radius for a ukulele. He recommended either a 16" or a 20" radius. He made a good point that many ukes have flat fingerboards, and that a little bit of radius goes a long way.

I guess it is a matter of opinion and preference. It will be interesting to hear a little more feedback from the rest of the UU community.

Thanks again,

Kevin

The Godin Multiuke has (according to the website) a 24" radius. Not much and hard to notice, really. But it really fits my hands well.

I prefer flat, but when someone wants a radiused fret board, I use 16', and it is noticeable--subtle, but noticeable.

I did a radiused board for a client, once. 20", and it felt different from flat.

For reference, my Fender P Bass has a 12" radius. I wanted a flatter board, so I went with 16" for my custom P & J (no, not peanut butter and jelly). For a bass, 16" is really flat. I've read some going down to below 9", but this is a different instrument. Just thought I'd throw it out there to show some of the range, and how low it goes.

Thank you for your feedback Kekani and MasonGuitars. It sounds like each instrument is quite a bit different. I would imagine that the wider the fretboard, the more radius you would want to increase playability.

It sounds like on a ukulele a little bit of radius goes a long way. Maybe we will start with a 12" or 16" radius and go from there.

Thanks again for your input,

Kevin

I used to go with 16" but now I only do flat boards. Any difference between 16" and flat is all in your head. Or at least my head. :) Anything over 16" I find difficult to play, especially with the right hand. For action on a board that is scarcely 1 1/2" wide I think good, playable action is much more important for ease of playing.

Hello again,

Some time has passed now and I wanted to update this post. We ended up going with a 12" radius on our fingerboards and we are very happy with our decision. I think that less radius would have been barely noticeable. Many of our customers have given us very positive feedback about the playability of our ukuleles. Also, we have found that we can set string action a little lower without fret-buzz problems.

We are now using the 12" radius fingerboard standard on all of our ukuleles. It has been a big step for us.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Hello again,

Some time has passed now and I wanted to update this post. We ended up going with a 12" radius on our fingerboards and we are very happy with our decision. I think that less radius would have been barely noticeable. Many of our customers have given us very positive feedback about the playability of our ukuleles. Also, we have found that we can set string action a little lower without fret-buzz problems.

We are now using the 12" radius fingerboard standard on all of our ukuleles. It has been a big step for us.

Thanks again,

Kevin

I have Cocobolo Ukuleles #328, concert with the 12” radius. It is hands down absolutely the most confortable, fastest neck I have ever tried, and by now I’ve probably owned over fourty ukuleles. I am thining the herd from about 25 right now. The radiused fretboards I currently have include Pono PC, Mya Moe, several Enya HPLs.

I was disappointed when I got the Mya Moe that the fretboard and neck didn’t match the Cocobolo. I was hoping the fretboard and neck would match the Cocobolo. Don’t get me wrong, the Mya Moe is an exceptional instrument and I am NOT slamming it, but to me, the Cocobolo is the best neck/fretboard I’ve found yet. I have a custom job on the way with radiused fretboard, and am thinking on getting a Godin. I wish more builders would to this. I don’t think it should be so rarified a feature though I recognize it is a more complicated build.

To anyone wanting to try a radiused fretboard for the first time on the cheap, I recommend the Enya HPL ukes. I love my pineapple Enya HPL, a definate keeper. They can often be had for under a hundred bucks. The build is very consistent, setup spot on. They don’t sound like a solid wood uke but they sound pretty good and make a good take-anywhere instrument. Of course, Cocobolos are very nice if you can get one!

Blessings to you all, friends, D

Last edited:
I do 12", as i found 16" (what i do on guitars) wasn't enough to be very noticeable on the thinner uke FB.

I should reiterate my 12" vs 16" comment.

I do a 12" on uke FB's so it appears the same as what a 16" does on a guitar FB.

I would much prefer to do a 16" on ukes as it would leave the edges thicker which is better for side dots etc. maybe i'll revisit the 16".

For me it depends on the scale - don't personally like one on a soprano, slight one if any on a concert, but I do like a 12 inch radius on a tenor - was what Mya Moe used to use I think and I had a custom made with that. Niceness

Top Bottom