Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixing Up East-Start Archtop

BM005-CRD_zps5b86d2b7.jpg

How about this roller bridge? Surely there's someone out there with the ability to machine a new block that would then bolt straight onto the existing saddle?

I'd pay for something like that, for sure!
    Keith

Mahalo 2020 Soprano - or at least it used to be! http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...akeover-Thread
    Aria ACU-250 Concert
    Clearwater UCW7T Tenor
    Epiphone Les Paul Concert
    Fender 52 Telecaster Concert

I'm thinking along these lines also. Somehow using standard adjustable saddle pieces in a custom bridge base.

Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Maybe piece of junk was wrong choice but for the price you guys paid and the time you waited, you guys are having to do quite a bit of work. I almost went in on this first order but I just had a feeling it'd be a pain (at least for me since I live 350 miles from a road).

Did everyone's uke need work or just some? They do look good.
    I was in one the purchase and I havent said anything yet on this thread as I've been away. I'm not going to read the whole thread now but on mine apart from the obvious guitar parts there is a blemish on the top that would make it B stock in any dealers shop and two of the knobs needed to be screwed down properly other than that I'm pretty happy with it I suppose what I paid was a B stock price and I got a B stock Ukulele not quite the bargain I'd hoped for but I don't feel I was ripped off. I will get round to a full review at some point and post that up
    My Ukulele's all live in Ukulele Corner
    home.ukulelecorner.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by focsle View Post
    Big Phil,

You have become the "master of alida" with all of your advice and pioneering work. Wish I had the skill, or better yet, you live next door. Thanks....headed to the post office..just kidding.

Mark
    THANK YOU Mark! I hope my remarks have or will help others improve their instruments, it not all that difficult to make them pretty nice. Just a few tweaks here and there.
    Big Phil

Moore Bettah 55 VW Tenor
    Ko'Aloha Soprano
    Kanilea K1 Tenor Premium
    Kanilea Concert Hono Premium
    Pono Acacia Baritone
    Gold Tone Concert Banjolele
    Alida Archtop Electric Tenor
    Kala UBass
    Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor
    Philnominal Ukuleles Walnut Tenor
    Islander Guitalele

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
    I'm thinking along these lines also. Somehow using standard adjustable saddle pieces in a custom bridge base.

Anthony
    Wonder if Timbuck is reading and fancies a challenge?
    Keith

Mahalo 2020 Soprano - or at least it used to be! http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...akeover-Thread
    Aria ACU-250 Concert
    Clearwater UCW7T Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosToo View Post
    BM005-CRD_zps5b86d2b7.jpg

How about this roller bridge? Surely there's someone out there with the ability to machine a new block that would then bolt straight onto the existing saddle?

I'd pay for something like that, for sure!
    Keith, you actually managed to put a thought in my head. Don't let it happen again...

Y'all please chime in here, but from where I'm sitting, there are two major issues that currently limit the tail/bridge options on these ukes: The arch top (cant use a "flat" bridge) and lack of any structural support in the tail/bridge area (cant use an LP type post like is pictured above). No doubt these issues could be resolved by a skilled luthier, but I don't see that happening to my uke anytime soon. So after ruling out those two options, what's left? Trapeze?

At any rate....I put an ABR bridge on my LP some years ago and after seeing the pic Chaos posted I dug out the old Nashville bridge. Here it is posing for a comparison photo op......

20140504_092806.jpg 20140504_092754.jpg

So, with a cursory examination I found that both bridges are actually about the same size. The Nashville appears larger in the photos due to it setting on top of the strings. The string spacing, at least in my case, is identical. Of course, if you order un-notched saddles you can place the notch in them as needed to fine-tune the string placement. The bridge support posts do not line up (too narrow). Possible options here would be to drill/tap new holes in existing base plate (assumes existing holes would not interfere) or use a new base plate. It would have to fit the radius, naturally.

But based on this brief observation, it looks like this type bridge actually could be made to work without any major butchering. A little brain-storming between y'all and I bet you could iron out the details. My only other thought at the moment is that you would want to use a bridge with saddles and not a roller bridge. I think that type is meant for use on guitars equipped with a Bigsby (Hmmmmm....there's a thought).

Now if we just had a stop tail........
    Sarcasm: Just one more service I provide.

I chose the roller type because they are designed for guitars with tailpieces. I don't know enough to know whether the tune a matic types come in a tailpiece variant.

My idea, to me at least, seems straightforward enough ....... use the individual saddle bits (is there a proper name for them?) Fitted into a new housing that then screws into the original base via the two thumb wheels. I was thinking either a machined block, or even just a box profile piece of material that the daddle bits could be fitted into?
    Keith

Aria ACU-250 Concert
    Clearwater UCW7T Tenor

Damn...I just realized my last post didn't contain one dumb joke that only I find funny (well, yukon too, but...well) no droll humor, no smarmy retorts, offensive language....nuthin!

Oh...I know what you are thinking (insert peewee herman voice) "But Wag...you tried to be funny in that first line!" Uh-uh...that, sirs, was no joke. You have ONE coherent thought and next thing you know you are clean and sober, driving a mini-van and attending PTA meetings. And it's already starting.....cuz it happened again.

First, let me say that my machinist skills/knowledge is just as vast as my luthier talents! That said...I'm sure you could have a custom bridge built as you have described. But a one-off item may be a little pricey unless you have a friend in the business. But...you caused me to have ANOTHER thunk, again, (I'm warning you) and look what I stumbled across:

GE101BTC.jpg
    Tut-tut. Dont even ask. I've no time to answer any silly questions as I am late for my PTA meeting....

Quote Originally Posted by Wagster View Post
    ...look what I stumbled across:

GE101BTC.jpg
    I saw that through my searches over the past week, it seems too big according to the measurements I saw.

Y'all hear that?

That hissing noise?

That's Mike letting the air out of my party balloons....

LMAO! Mike! I didn't even get a chance to make 'em squirm! (...pencils Mikes' name in at the top of the doody list).

True. It's dimensions are much to wide for our use. Hey...but it looks good!

Well, I'll scrounge around some more later. Right now I have to devise a plan to covertly attach a "perpetual whoopie cushion" to a certain persons chair at a certain persons ukulele meeting facility.

Thread Information