Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 116: THE OLD SONG SALESMEN

Hippie Dribble Guest

Default Season 116: THE OLD SONG SALESMEN

Welcome along to the new season gang.

Your challenge - and enjoyment -this week is to mine the deep well of wonderful songwriters from the jazz age in America. Specifically, that fabled area of railroad flats around 28th and Broadway in New York City where the music publishers were clustered.

From around 1895 until WWII music became big business. Many of the greatest popular songwriters wrote for mass consumption and their success on Broadway, on film, on radio, advertising, the dancehalls, parlors, cafes and musical theatre created an industrial folk music.

So this week is the music of Tin Pan Alley and the old song salesmen.

Whilst not always the case, this particular article from Wikipedia is an excellent introductory resource and well worth a read as you begin this week's journey:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_Pan_Alley

Please submit no more than three entries as otherwise my head will explode. Please only submit new recordings and state somewhere in your video the season and name of the songwriter. (I say that only because when most of these tunes were written, almost no-one knew nor cared who these songwriters were - though everyone carried their melodies around in their heads. This week is really about them - to honour, celebrate and recognise them, to give credit where credit is due). I will smile widely if you dress in threads of the period. I have a wonderful book for the winning entrant. A little something for the runner-up. And kind words and backslaps for everyone else.

Any other questions please post in the thread. Please let me know if I've neglected to mention anything.

Hope you have fun with the theme everyone. Pretty much every enduring popular standard was written during this period, as well as some fabulous kooky, cheesy and gloriously politically incorrect songs.

x

THE OLD SONG SALESMEN: The music of Tin Pan Alley
    Last edited by Hippie Dribble; 05-04-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Great idea, Jon. Already have some thoughts.

Excellent choice. I look forward to seeing what everyone will choose.

Woohoo! This is right up my alley, so to speak............now to pick a tune or two...... Nice theme, eugene!

"Knowin' where you're goin' is mostly knowin' where you have been....." B. McMaster

Already have an idea or two for this. Actually gonna pull one of the songs I was planning for 115 to play here. X3
    Check out my stuff. I promise it's not THAT bad.
    My Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/someponywithaguitar
    My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultimateninjaboi
    My YouTube for Non-Season Music Projectshttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw5...QwcJP9T4D1mJ7w

Ukes:
    Luna Guitars Turtle Soprano: Named Tera
    Mahalo Soprano (Deceased): Named Clara
    Guitars:
    Yamaha Acoustic (dunno the exacts...): Named Hope
    Gibson Les Paul 50s Tribute Electric: Named Isabella (Izzy)

I am going to submit 25 entries because I want your head to explode. This is gonna be fun!

I can't wait to see what everyone cooks up for the week. We all know Jon's expertise and artistry in this area so I expect everyone to bring their "A" game and knock his socks off. Jon, better wear some garters!!

Quote Originally Posted by buc mcmaster View Post
    Woohoo! This is right up my alley, so to speak............now to pick a tune or two...... Nice theme, eugene!
    Fun fun fun!! Yes indeed - this is my kind of music! The challenge this week will be deciding which three to pick - there are SO many good songs from this era. Thanks for this wonderful theme.
    Still immersed in Season 115 till tomorrow (I have a great song I'm working on for BEVOMU). Then it's off to Tin Pan Alley!

This is an excellent theme and I can't wait to record some of these songs! Great music custom made for ukulele!

Great theme! There's a ton of wonderful music to discover this week. Fun!

Thread Information