Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 70

Thread: Rubin ukes? Tom Uke?

  1. #1

    Default Rubin ukes? Tom Uke?

    So I've heard that China's musical instrument manufacturers are getting smarter and creating some quality products at fraction prices. I just ordered a Rubin Concert ukulele with electric pick-up for $70. Aquila strings, close geared tuners, zebrawood, etc... I've heard a few positive reviews on it, but nothing on here yet.

    I'm also about to try a $38 TUP-200 Tom pocket uke.

    If anyone has some feedback about either of these, please share.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    I got nothing, but very interesting that the Chinese are gaining steam in so many markets, ukulele included.
    Click a photo for information!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,953

    Default

    There's a guy in the meetup group I go to who bought a soprano Rubin from ebay and was so pleased with it he also ordered a concert.

    I got to try it briefly... looked pretty well made and with a pickup for $50 shipped (many Chinese/Asian sellers charge a small fortune for shipping) it seemed like a real bargain.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ross-on-Wye, England
    Posts
    738

    Default

    I've got the Tom pocket uke. I love it. Especially considering how cheap it is. It's not the best looking uke but it plays in tune with acceptable intonation and the tone is really nice for a pocket ukulele. It sounds better than the Ohana sopranino I tried.
    If you restring it with Martin m600s it sounds best, much better than the faux aquillas it comes with.
    And mine also came unexpectedly with a gigbag, electronic tuner, capo, plectrums and spare strings!! A bit of an odd combination of freebies but a couple of them were useful.
    I have heard they are hit and miss though so I might've got lucky!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,000

    Default

    80 dollars for a solid spruce top tenor? delivered? do they make the uke for 20 dollars, and the rest is shipping? Even if the uke is a complete POS, it's still incredible they can do this. (and this uke doesn't look that bad in the pictures)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rubin-RT-301...-/261467403354

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    171

    Default

    I actually just ordered the Pocket Rubin Uke http://www.ebay.com/itm/261448485542 a few days ago. I had trouble finding any information on the company/any detailed reviews of the quality so was a bit skeptical, but for $40 I thought it would be worth giving it the old college try. I'll reply to this post with some pictures and a review. If the pocket uke is made well and looks as good as it does online I may just end up with one of the electrics. Now to wait the 15-30 estimated shipping time! BTW, first post!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    171

    Default

    I have a feeling the pocket uke is laminate. There are two options for the soprano size of this model, one laminate and one solid top so my guess is that the pocket is laminate. If they mention that one is solid top then I would imagine they'd tout it on any solid top in the line. No evidence though, just my opinion.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    I have a feeling the pocket uke is laminate. There are two options for the soprano size of this model, one laminate and one solid top so my guess is that the pocket is laminate. If they mention that one is solid top then I would imagine they'd tout it on any solid top in the line. No evidence though, just my opinion.
    Agreed. For the most part, if it doesn't say it's solid, you can assume it's laminate. No one really touts laminate as being a selling point.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattyukaholic View Post
    I've got the Tom pocket uke. I love it. Especially considering how cheap it is. It's not the best looking uke but it plays in tune with acceptable intonation and the tone is really nice for a pocket ukulele. It sounds better than the Ohana sopranino I tried.
    If you restring it with Martin m600s it sounds best, much better than the faux aquillas it comes with.
    And mine also came unexpectedly with a gigbag, electronic tuner, capo, plectrums and spare strings!! A bit of an odd combination of freebies but a couple of them were useful.
    I have heard they are hit and miss though so I might've got lucky!
    Thanks for the post. Might be worth picking up for $40, even if I don't get as lucky as you

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Colfax, CA
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Money McGee View Post
    80 dollars for a solid spruce top tenor? delivered? do they make the uke for 20 dollars, and the rest is shipping? Even if the uke is a complete POS, it's still incredible they can do this. (and this uke doesn't look that bad in the pictures)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rubin-RT-301...-/261467403354
    It is a very nice looking build. Feels like 3 am on the Shopping Channel. Pretty tempting.
    MP Mango Cedar Tenor
    Pono ATDC Acacia Cutaway Tenor
    Pono TE-2 Chambered Acacia Spruce Tenor
    Dupont D Hole Koa Spruce Cutaway Tenor

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •