Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When flying with a uke, should I loosen the tension on the strings?

Default When flying with a uke, should I loosen the tension on the strings?

Hi everyone, I hear differing opinions on this issue. Is there a definitive right answer?
    In order of purchase:

Blackbird Tenor
    Blackbird Clara
    Boat Paddle A-style tenor (spruce/walnut)
    Pono TE Mango Deluxe
    Koaloha KTM-00-R
    Kinnard Series 2 tenor (cedar/Honduran rosewood)
    Barron River custom tenor (Huon pine/Aussie Blackwood)
    Outdoor tenor in Bottle Brown
    Outdoor tenor in Camouflage

In 60+ years of living I have found that for very few questions is there a definitive right answer.

I think it depends on whether you hold it in your hands while you're flapping?

Seriously though, I have never done it despite taking a uke on flights a couple of times, with no problems.
    Matt - Ukulele Man at World of Ukes
    Editor of UKE Magazine

I think our govt. has fully gone insane.

If the pressure changes in the cabin enough for the uke to explode, you have a more serious issue.
    Keep Strummin'

Never did and nothing bad has ever happened. Why worry? are you going to check in your uke? I don't check my uke. Never ever check your uke in.
    一期一会

If you are flying with it in the cabin with you, I would not worry. If you check it as baggage, definitely do so! A touring musician I know once referred to "airline baggage handlers, an other lower forms of life...."

Anything you can do to take stress off of the instrument in transit is a good thing, especially if the case is dropped or tossed. When the strings are in full tension, the entire instrument is under stress to keep from collapsing. A really fine instrument may be even closer to its tolerances than a cheaper one because lighter construction is what makes it responsive when played. If the instrument is stressed in transit in a way that adds to that pre-existing tension, the instrument could suffer.

I recommend dropping the tension by at least a third, a fourth is better. It won't hurt to try it, even if you don't think it is necessary. The worst thing that could happen is the strings settle a tiny bit when retensioned. That should not be a problem unless you are playing a quick concert in the airport lobby.

Good luck.

Flying with and shipping should follow the same process.
    I know this has been posted before, but few folks ever use the search function.

From Larrivee Guitars
    Keep Strummin'

confluence of the Mohawk and Hudson Rivers, New York

Like others here, I recently flew (SW) without incident carrying on a concert size fluke in its bag. Several on at least a leg or 2 had full size guitars in gig bags.
    It did not occur to me to loosen strings then, nor had I ever done it with a guitar checked in as luggage in a hard molded case & taken to Africa, the Middle East, & Europe. It was fine. Lucky? I dunno. That's a lot of flights to be lucky on.

Mainland Red Cedar Concert, Mango Tenor
    Boulder Creek RipTides: UB-2N spruce-top baritone, UT-5NS tenor, UT-11NS acacia-top tenor, UC-5NS concert

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaMatt View Post
    I think it depends on whether you hold it in your hands while you're flapping?
    I really hate to say it but I was thinking along the same lines.

Thread Information