Dumping cable/satellite TV

coming up on a year since we cut cable TV.

Grew up at the Cananadian border. Just two stations, one US station to the distant east, but mostly consumed whatever came out of Thunder Bay. Don Percy was a great disc jockey (In the morning/When I get up/She brings me coffee in my favorite cup), I think he wound up in Toronto. TV was the CBC.

Lived in the middle of an unregulated wilderness where no cared what you did or where you went, as long as you made it back alive in time for dinner. What a childhood. About the only thing we watched on the BW TV was Ed Sullivan and Dark Shadows. Who had time?

I watched SCTV mostly (the show started with TVs thrown out of a highrise apt hitting the sidewalk below, It Blowed Up Real Good, Bob and Doug, Eugene Levy) and when I moved to the Big Cit Tee I got hooked on SNL when it was funny (Belushi, Morris, Curtin etal). Somewhere in the 70s and 80s was Professional Wrestling and Dr. Gene Scott of the Church of the Open Door (I remember him because he sent a check at my behest to the charity I was working for), they were pretty much the same. The only thing I liked after that was the Sopranos. I guess I need high voltage dialog to hold my attention.

Now it's just all the cool stuff on youtube.

(/38d)

Last edited:
If you have an older, analog TV you'll need a digital converter box.
Nope, digital high-def Sony. Tried a digital antenna. Problem is mostly geography: we live in an area where signals are blocked.

But we've moved past that. Don't want to get TV any more. Too many books to read, blog posts to write, songs to learn and dogs to walk to waste time staring at the furniture.

I've been cable/satellite free for the last five years. We do stream when in the lower 48, but up here we just do the Netflix movies thing.
The only thing I miss is the History Channel and sports.
When we were in Puerto Rico last winter we had dish TV and one of the english channels was the history channel. I don't know if it is like this everywhere with the history channel, but down there we kept getting re-runs of pawn stars, american pickers, some lumber jack show, and some guys mining gold. And they were back to back re-runs. One night was back to back pawn stares. The next was back to back something else. Every once in a while they might run something different. For a while they were running a series, the men who built america, but that was pretty short lived. Then it was back to pawn stars. So if that is the case, you aren't missing much on the history channel.

...re-runs of pawn stars, american pickers, some lumber jack show, and some guys mining gold. And they were back to back re-runs. ... you aren't missing much on the history channel.

Sounds like my experience. Same with Discovery Channel: a channel supposedly dedicated to science was crammed with crap about ghost hunters and mythical monsters like Bigfoot. Pseudoscience garbage. Or other fake reality shows (well, they all are...) like on History.

Coming up on a year without TV and don't miss it at all. I've had more time to play my instruments, learn new songs, walk my dogs, talk with my wife and read more books.

I haven't had pay TV for a good while. I've probably had it 12 months over may life time. (64 years old)
We have an antenna and get quite a few channels (Chicagoland south east). On broadcast TV, like Mike referred to, there seams to be 33% of the hour taken up by commercials.

Top Bottom