Biopsy results back.... Not good ;(

Olarte

Reaction score
So my Biopsy results are back...

I guess I get to "Join a club that would have me as a member" the big "C" club...

Got a score of 7 on the Gleason scale... While not as aggressive as it could have been, I do have so e decisions to make...

It was a bittersweet day as I got the call from my doc, right as we arrived for my sons college commencement... We did not mention this to him as we did not take away from his day.

But it was twilight zone like, being there with 20,000 people celebrating including me, while also letting the diagnosis and what's in the future for me sink in....

Oh well, at least I know now and part of this is to move on. I can't wait to return home tomorrow and play my beloved instruments.

I had not played in 2 weeks as I was like a deer frozen in the headlights waiting for the biopsy then the results.

Such is life...

Sorry Ivan,
Take care of yourself, work to keep your heart and head clear and I wish you the best possible outcome.
Congratulate your son and play lots of music.
Peter.

Hey Olarte, That is a nasty shock for you. I can fully relate to how you feel, having been diagnosed with prostate cancer myself. Is that what yours is?

As you say, you have decisions to make, but you will get lots of good advice, and the right path for you should be fairly obvious. I was lucky to have been diagnosed early(ish), and the cancer was treatable - it was eleven years ago. I hardly ever think about it now.

This will change your view of life, in a positive way. Always look for the positives - they are there to be found.

Just live your life one day at a time, my friend - and play lots of music.

Ivan, we have never actually met, but I want you to know that I will be thinking of you. Count me as one more person in your corner.

Leigh

Not sure what his Gleason was, but my father-in-law had a PSA of over 50 when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer back in '08. He beat it. He had a complete prostate-ectomy.

In April of 13, he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer (totally unrelated). He had Whipple surgery, and has undergone chemo and radiation therapy. At this point in time, he is completely clear of any metastatic cancer. He also has Parkinson's disease on top of all of this. He's a survivor, and he refuses to give up. All of this now at the age of 73....and counting.

You can do it. I have faith in him, and now I place that same faith in you.

PM me if you want to know more. There is a lot I've left out about this man and what he has survived in his pre-cancer days. He's amazing.

Aloha Ivan..
So sorry to hear the bad news.....I hope they have caught it early and you will have a quick recovery....Good luck and think positive man...
I will be saying prayers and sending some get well vibes as well...Take Care Man... S

I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Stay strong and know many of us here have you in our thoughts.

Thank you all for your support and for sharing.

Yes it's prostate cancer and there is a scale called the Gleason scale from 2 to 10 I'm a 7... Not overly aggressive but there...

Anyway, I'm doing ok so far will meet with the doc on Wednesday and find out more what my options are...

My dad had it, and survived it for another 15 years until his 90s... But crawl I'm only 52, too young to be dealing with this you know?

Anyway, I know that if I face this mothaf@cker head on, I too will survive it and go on to a long life, but still... I'm scared, and still letting it sink in.

One thing I'm grateful for is for the Aloha spirit from all my ukulele friends here and on FB...

This is one huge plus that we often don't realize it.... The people that play ukulele are some of the most sincere, and caring people I've ever met, and I'm very grateful for this.

Thank you!

Olarte -- give it all you've got. You can beat this! My best wished to you AND your family.

Sorry to hear that being a medical patient is going to be added to your resume. I enjoy your videos and hope you still have time for music as you pursue treatment. Best wishes to you along the journey!

I have at least four friends who have gone through this and they are all fine now.

Olarte, I enjoy your posts on UU and want you to get well soon.

I have a friend who was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer. He and his doctor adopted a process of "watchful waiting". This may not apply to your case, but his cancer tends to move slowly, they told him. As his doctor put it, "More people die WITH it than OF it." I hope that yours takes a leisurely course.

I hope all goes as well as it can. Good luck.

PM sent. Hope it helps you.

Well what the heck as a consolation I picked up a risa stick from the uu marketplace... Th is one time UAS is well worth it.

The stick can be the uke to bring for whatever type of therapy I end up doing... :shaka:

Olarte - May your faith be your strength.

Top Bottom