Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Thread: StewMac Tenor Ukulele Kit

The top and back linings are all installed.

The next step is to trace the template for the bracing onto the top and back. As you can see in the pictures below, the tracing that shipped with the kit were a quite off. Early in this build thread, I showed a picture of the center line also being drawn inaccurately on the top. The wider lines are the ones I redrew and actually fit the width of the braces.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeguam as LESSON LEARNED #7!
    Don't trust the pre-penciled template tracing, there are many signs of carelessness. Just take the time to redraw it yourself.

To retrace the lines, I laid the template over the top/back lining it up with the centerline and the soundhole (for the top). Then, using a good straight edge, I marked the lines on the wood outside the paper template. When all the lines were marked outside the paper template, I removed the template and connected them.

Last edited by boydellinii; 05-26-2018 at 09:24 PM.

boydellinii, thank you for sharing this information. I actually came across that radius dish thread and though: "if only I had a bandsaw, I could do many things!"
    For this build, I'm going to see how it goes without the radius dish as I'd like to determine how well the kit is put together.
    Thanks again!

Abiding by lesson learned #4, I dry fitted the back bracing with clamps first. I'm so thankful I did not skip this step because I discovered that the back bracing is actually radiused and not flat. This discovery led me to change the type of clamps I initially used.

Looking through an angled light revealed that the center of the brace was not properly clamped.

So I changed the clamps, added one to the center...

...and all looks good and ready to glue.

The dry fit for the 2nd back brace using the same type of clamps.

You can see some light coming through, that means another clamp is needed.

So we added a third clamp and all looks ready to glue.

The next step will be to glue and clamp the back bracing.

Glued the back bracing on this evening, dry fitting the clamps made it real easy and quick.

Of course I cleaned up the squeeze out...

I have back-to-back gigs the next two days so it may not be until the weekend for the next update. Hoping to get the the fretboard and rosette inlays completed next.

looking great- well done so far! hope your enjoying it

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Hannam Ukuleles View Post
    looking great- well done so far! hope your enjoying it
    Thanks Beau! I'm truly loving this...

Just a quick update, I let it glue overnight and the back bracing looks real good.

I won't have much progress until the weekend, but I hope to at least get the sides sanded down even with the linings.

Sneaking in a little update, I've been using a rasp to take of the chunk of material off the sides to get it flush for the gluing of the back. Taking this real slow and steady and going "downhill" with the grain. I thought about using my orbital sander, but didn't want to chance it. The rasp is coming along nicely.

I'll take it down to about 1/16" above the lining then use 100-grit paper stuck with double-sided tape on my granite top to sand it flush.

Thread Information