True or false : “Players can't build and builders can't play”

Gary Gill

Reaction score
I have heard it said that “Players can't build and builders can't play”. I know that is not entirely true, having met some folks that are accomplished at both crafts. There may be something to the idea that those gifted with musical abilities may not have the same gifts as mechanically inclined builders. It may have more to do with time dedicated to practicing either craft. What are your thoughts or experiences with this idea?

It is harder to build a good instrument then play well on it.

As neither a good builder nor a good player, I can look at this topic quite dispassionately.
What I do know is that when I play I try to experiment with new ways of playing the same piece; when I build I'm trying to make each piece the same way but a little bit better each time.
Maybe it's the tension between uniformity and creativity that's the issue?
In my case I try to compensate for a complete lack of talent with a superabundance of enthusiasm.
Miguel

I am sure there are others, but here are a few I know of that are first class builders and players.
Rick Turner, Joel Eckhaus, Mike DaSilva.

+1 for Rick Turner!!

*Edited to add that he and Mike DaSilva (also a good player) are the only two builders I've seen play live. :)

Last edited:
I enjoy playing my guitar just about every morning.
I go out with my buddies occasionally for "jam night".
I play guitar & lead singing at church every week, for 15 years now.
I play every uke & guitar that I build several times, with great vigor, to open them up and to confirm their playability.

If I try to record something, my body goes hot & my fingers turn to a sticky mess.

I've been playing guitar, steel string and classical, and 5 string banjo since 1963, uke since the 90's. I've built over 500 instruments, guitars, banjos, ukes, violins and dulcimers. I've been repairing all the above since the mid 90's. I think you can build a better instrument if you understand what goes into them and how they should sound.

You can't truly be a Jedi until you build your own light saber.

I'm with Duane. Building doesn't require that you be a great player, but if you don't play a given instrument at all you may not understand all of what a player expects of it. A guy picked one of my first banjos off my shop wall, then hung it back up quickly. "You don't play banjo, do you?" he said. And I didn't. That was the early 80's, and I don't think I've made that mistake since.

fe8dc51d966d75a8f59bb56114268e18.jpgOne word: Dominator.

Last edited:
I've been playing and making ukuleles for about twenty years, and have achieved mediocrity in both endeavours.

Last edited:
I first stumbled across Aaron Keim as a player, and then (if my timeline is right) he developed the Beansprout, and since has certainly broadened his building horizons - another example of someone who excels at both.

As for me, I am an aspiring amatuer on both fronts.

Interesting post, Gary. I like to read the "philosophical" comments (as opposed to advice) of other contributors sometimes. Thanks for posting.

It all depends on how good a player you are when you start building. Building seems to cut my practice time quite a bit

You don't need to play an instrument to build extremely good examples. I know of a few Violin makers right at the top of the tree who can't play a single note. I've also come across very good Guitar makers who can just about play 3 simple chords.
But you certainly can become very accomplished at both building and playing. There are examples of that type of person too. It's highly unlikely (virtually impossible) to have both going as real careers at the same time. Each discipline demands too much time. I'm sure it's possible to eek out P/T earnings from both though.

I'll throw Doug into my list too.

Great player aspiring to greatness builder!

I'll second that judging from his seasons vids and what his ukes do in the hands of others too!

Top Bottom