19 tenors comparison sound samples

Doc_J

Reaction score
This is not a written review, but a sound comparison. Here are 19 tenors all recorded with a Blue Snowflake in mono with no enhancements. Some are low G, some are high G. Some are in B tuning, some in C tuning. It is what it is. Thought folks might like to hear a comparison of some of these tenors. Recording and comparing helps me decide what I like best.

All 19 tenors are on one file: https://soundcloud.com/doc-hj/19-tenors

Which ones of these did you like best?

Click on the links below to go a specific uke sound sample.

1. LFdM sinker redwood with ziricote, Oasis Bright, low G
2. Lichty sinker redwood with Paua ferro Fremont Black line and Soloist low G
3. Scott Wise, Australian Blackwood Tenor Oasis Bright Low G
4. Covered Bridge, Cedar and Curly Myrtle Worth CTs, Aquila low G
5. Wolverston cedar/ Paua ferro Low G Worth CTs, Aquila low G?
6. Compass Rose Cherry, Oasis Bright low G
7. Ono Cherry School Tenor, SC Mediums with Aquila Low G
8. Kinnard Mahogany, Worth CTs, Aquila low G?
9. Collings UT2 mahogany with Savarez + Oasis Warm Low G
10. Boat Paddle Kayak mahogany Tenor with Worth Heavy Clears, Savarez low G
11. J. C. Clark five string with Galli FC, with Aquila low G
12. Makapili, Worth CTs
13. Ko’olau Deluxe, spruce/rosewood, Alohi wound C
14. Ko’olau T2 koa, Oasis Bright Low G
15. Pu’uwai , Worth CTs
16. Martin Vintage (40s-50s) Worth BTs
17. Collings UT2K , Worth CTs
18. Moodyville Gypsy Jazz Spruce/ English Walnut, Worth BTs,
19. Maui Music T4K, Oasis Warm Low G

one more as requested....

20. Takamine GU-T1 mahogany laminate tenor with Galli FC strings

Last edited:
Listened around and around and over again. My favorite is surely the Luis Alberto Feu de Mesquita (#1).

19!?! Wow, I'm gonna have to come back when I have more time to decide.

That is just fantastic. Great job putting all of that together and throwing it up forus to hear. Very revealing when you can hear so many back to back. Thanks for sharing this.

Last edited:
I listened to all and eventually they sounded very similar. I think the bookends were the best.

Thanks for all the clips! I liked the first two the most. Generally I really like low G with redwood.

I listened to all and eventually they sounded very similar. I think the bookends were the best.

There are subtle differences but generally they all sound fine and I'd be happy with any. What would have been fun for me would to have heard a few full on laminates in the $200-250 range for comparison.

I'll pick my favorite in the morning.

I have had a good time listening to this repeatedly. I even went so far as list them all out then made notes on my impression of each. I tend to gravitate to something almost guitar like with great note seperation and bell like clarity.

My favourites are #1 LFdM and #19 Maui Music. There are a whole bunch of others I would be more than happy to own:rolleyes:

Good news, bad news. I recently found out LFdM lives a few miles away from me. Bad news, starting price $1700.00. At least I know I have good taste.

Last edited:
There are subtle differences but generally they all sound fine and I'd be happy with any. What would have been fun for me would to have heard a few full on laminates in the $200-250 range for comparison.

I'll pick my favorite in the morning.

Aren't many of the laminates made from the same factory?

What would be great is after a couple weeks revisit the thread and say that it was just one uke played differently each time, or with different strings.

Love that LFdM! I *almost* managed to grab one last yr, but the seller would not ship it downunder! Ziricote too.... bah!

I'll just have to commission one someday soon :)

Thanks for the comparison - really interesting!

it's awesome that you did this. My conclusions from listening to them, without looking at the labels are that either the differences between ukes is vastly overstated, my hearing isn't that great or sound recordings can't do an instrument justice. Honestly, they all started to blend in and sound the same to me. But when I'm playing all my tenors, they sound very different, so I don't know if I'm just tricking myself

How wonderful it would be to own both an LFdM and a Maui Music.

And even more wonderful to own those and a couple of Covered Bridges and Compass Rose. ;-)

Wow ... just caught wind of this ... thanks for taking the time to put it together ... will need more time to listen to all of them ... Just want to say LFdM lives in my humble home town ... will see him shortly ... pretty excited.

Top Bottom