Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gold Tone Microbass - REVIEW

Quote Originally Posted by frawley View Post
    My advice,get used to the Aquilas and silicone hand cream if you don't want any hassels
    hey frawley... any chance of an update on how you are finding the mbass? trying to decide between the mbass and ubass. I'm leanding towards the mbass, but I'm in NZ so will have to go down the ebay path like you...

Hi to Kiwiland,
    The microbass is still copping a hammering by myself, my wife and son (on occasion..a real bass player). Without a bridge mod, the Paehoehoe strings are an acceptable compromise. As in NZ, we in West Oz don't have a snowflakes chance in hell of personally trying out random stuff, so we have to make an average of the info that we get on line, buy something and hope for the best . My personal opinion is still that the Microbass is a better instrument to play than the U-Bass from the standpoint of playing a regular full scale bass. It is a lot of fun to play, because you get a big sound with minimal effort. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by frawley View Post
    Hi to Kiwiland,
    My personal opinion is still that the Microbass is a better instrument to play than the U-Bass from the standpoint of playing a regular full scale bass. It is a lot of fun to play, because you get a big sound with minimal effort. Hope this helps.
    Hey

Thanks for getting back to me =)

In the end I caved and got the u-bass. I figured I've never played a full bass so I probably wouldn't know what I was missing.

So far I'm enjoying it - absolutely clueless on a bass, but having fun =)

Thanks
    Dave

I just got a Gold Tone Micro bass 1 week ago and I like it so far. Must I buy replacement strings from Gold Tone or are there other options to get the same kind of strings that came on it? JT.

Just picked up a fretted Gold Tone MicroBass....this thing will be fun to learn!
    Nice volume unplugged and excellent workmanship. Plugged in, it sounds so much like an upright bass. Cool.
    Susie
    5 Taylor's ● 1 Martin ● 1 Pono
    Fingerpickin' since 9/11/73

Had my hands on one briefly at the Tampa Bay Ukulele Getaway in November.....that Goldtone MicroBass is a serious, quality little acoustic bass.

Baby powder for the sticky strings.
    This instrument has plagued me (23" fretted neck). I love the sound, but the string issues and the intonation (related somewhat) are a drag. The Aquilas gave a nice round tubby sound, but they dented easily, were very expensive to ship to Canada and the resonance wasn't even across the strings (the low E was hugely less resonant). I strung my micro bass twice with the Aquilas and then I went to Pahoehoes. The tension is greater, they don't dent as much, and the resonance is more even across strings. The sound is a bit brighter but you can put more bass in the EQ to help with that. Getting the strings on was a lengthy ordeal. They stretch a lot once they're wound on the tuning peg (so wrap issues), but you have to use a lot of pull to get them on. They keep slipping out of the pegs. My mbass has intonation issues. The truss rod has been adjusted, the saddle's been shimmed and shaved. It's just never in tune. Another issue is that because of the diameter of the strings, they bunch up in the nut, so you have to lift the string off every time you tune. This is unacceptable, and means you can't do quick tweaks when you're playing or between tunes. In terms of sound and portability, though, there's no comparison with anything else, but I have such a love-hate relationship with this instrument. It's limitations are constant. Any updates from players would be welcome.

I've had a 23" GT Microbass for six years and after finding the Thundergut strings to be sticky and sausage, I went to Pahoehoe. I think it's ridiculous to have to constantly use powder, tried it once, never again. I read recently that Aquila recommends to spray a little Windex on a cloth and rub it on the strings, haven't tried it yet. Yes, Pahoehoe are difficult to install and stretch for a long time, I'll cut some off when they wrap back up the spool.

The only problem I have with my GT Microbass is inconsistent volume string to string when amplified, which could be a bad string, or the pickup. I fixed that on one of my other bass ukes with the same pick assembly by taking it apart and cutting the plastic saddle at the lines, which allows each section of the saddle to put it's own pressure on the individual pickups underneath.

The nut problem can easily be remedied by filing the channels a little wider to prevent the snag. I actually have a new nut made specifically for the slightly fatter Pahoehoe strings. I'm not very picky about perfect intonation, being close is fine for me, I rarely play near there.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Thread Information