Thread: Humidifier for all solid uke in UK?

Default Humidifier for all solid uke in UK?

Sorry if this question has been asked and discussed a lot previously, I am a new member and just wanted a few opinions please.

Do many UK uke players use humidifiers at all and is there a real need for one in this climate? I keep my uke in a hard case and take good care of it but have never considered a humidifier

I'm not in the UK but here's the bottom line - it's indoor humidity that counts (unless of course you are storing the uke in the attic or the garden shed ). So, even though it may be very humid outside, if the the furnace is running a lot or you have air conditioning that runs a lot in the summer, your humidity indoors may be in the low 30's or lower. I recommend putting a good hygrometer in the room where you keep your ukes. If it consistently reads in the high thirties or lower then I would use case humidifiers or a room humidifier during whatever seasons cause your indoor humidity to drop.

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

I've been a uke owner for about twenty years, living in the vicinity of Wolverhampton. I have never given any thought to using a humidifier, and my ukes have not deteriorated as a result. It does depend upon your living circumstances, of course, but most homes in the UK do not have a problem with dry atmosphere which needs to be modified for the sake of musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    I've been a uke owner for about twenty years, living in the vicinity of Wolverhampton. I have never given any thought to using a humidifier, and my ukes have not deteriorated as a result. It does depend upon your living circumstances, of course, but most homes in the UK do not have a problem with dry atmosphere which needs to be modified for the sake of musical instruments.
    Thanks for your reply. I noticed the humidifiers on the website of a uke store and as theyre not that expensive, I thought its a small price to pay for some peace of mind. I suppose its also a waste of money though if theyre really not necessary. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by OldePhart View Post
    I'm not in the UK but here's the bottom line - it's indoor humidity that counts (unless of course you are storing the uke in the attic or the garden shed ). So, even though it may be very humid outside, if the the furnace is running a lot or you have air conditioning that runs a lot in the summer, your humidity indoors may be in the low 30's or lower. I recommend putting a good hygrometer in the room where you keep your ukes. If it consistently reads in the high thirties or lower then I would use case humidifiers or a room humidifier during whatever seasons cause your indoor humidity to drop.

John
    Thanks John that's very useful advice, cheers for taking the time to reply

DOnt forget tio check out Miscellaneous and DIY
    where Aldrine teaches how to make a homemade Humidifier.

http://ukuleleunderground.com/lessons/diy-humidifier/

Quote Originally Posted by ranger92308 View Post
    DOnt forget tio check out Miscellaneous and DIY
    where Aldrine teaches how to make a homemade Humidifier.

http://ukuleleunderground.com/lessons/diy-humidifier/
    Wow! it really is that simple. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by DazW View Post
    Sorry if this question has been asked and discussed a lot previously, I am a new member and just wanted a few opinions please.

Do many UK uke players use humidifiers at all and is there a real need for one in this climate? I keep my uke in a hard case and take good care of it but have never considered a humidifier
    You need to find out what the humidity levels are in your envirnoment before you do anything. Don't assume it to be too high or low. Get a decent room humidifier in the space the uke lives and then you can adjust the levels.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBearUkes View Post
    You need to find out what the humidity levels are in your envirnoment before you do anything. Don't assume it to be too high or low. Get a decent room humidifier in the space the uke lives and then you can adjust the levels.
    Will do, thanks for the advice

Thread Information