What strings are on your Clara?

Just got a Clara that is strung with low-G oasis strings (per manufacturers recommendation). My local store owner is also talking about a set of flat-wound related strings that sound very intriguing. I do know that the next set will be reentrant...

Still using Oasis, but I really like the warm high G. Tried the bright and it didn't work for me.

Still using Oasis, but I really like the warm high G. Tried the bright and it didn't work for me.

In case anyone is still interested - I currently have Aquila reds my Clara because i needed to go to a high G tuning and that's what I had on hand. It doesn't work for me - at least not without some adjustment to playing style. I find that I need to really relax on my strumming to avoid a feel of "overplaying"

Bumping this old thread because I just purchased a Clara with Misi pickup and want to know what other owners are using.

It's already played 3 gigs and I really love the loudness, note separation between strings (each string is easy to hear), easier access to higher frets because of the closer frets (I've been performing on tenor ukes until now) and the stability of the tuning. The Misi also works very well and is very convenient (no battery worries!). I run the Clara and a vocal mic through a Roland Cube Street EX and am getting great sound.

I'm not fond of the wound low G because I wear them out so quickly, and wound strings tend to eat frets. I also have acidic sweat.

I'd like to hear what other Clara owners who play low G are using.

Mahalo!
Aldon

Bumping this old thread because I just purchased a Clara with Misi pickup and want to know what other owners are using.

It's already played 3 gigs and I really love the loudness, note separation between strings (each string is easy to hear), easier access to higher frets because of the closer frets (I've been performing on tenor ukes until now) and the stability of the tuning. The Misi also works very well and is very convenient (no battery worries!). I run the Clara and a vocal mic through a Roland Cube Street EX and am getting great sound.

I'm not fond of the wound low G because I wear them out so quickly, and wound strings tend to eat frets. I also have acidic sweat.

I'd like to hear what other Clara owners who play low G are using.

Mahalo!
Aldon

Aloha Aldon
I settled on Worth Brown Mediums for now. Clara is very bright and I wanted to tone her down a little. If I wanted low G I'd try a wound Oasis or Fremont Soloist. Flouro low G strings seem flubby to me.

Clara is just an extraordinary ukulele, so responsive, each note so clear, but really, really bright.

I just bought another Clara uke w/Misi pickup (used, from an ad on Mandolin Cafe) for an excellent price, $1150! That's about $500 less than I paid for my first Clara!

Anyway, it came from the former owner with Aquila strings tuned in 5ths (CGDA), and I'll be restringing it later on with Oasis warm strings. At the moment I'm having fun playing with the low 5ths tuning since all my other 5th tuned ukes are in GDAE and I already own and perform on a Clara in regular low G uke tuning.

The reason I'm posting is to update on the low G string I've been using lately. It's the Thomastik-Infeld CF30. It's a flat-wound chrome string that has been excellent for my needs. I have mentioned earlier that I have acidic sweat that destroys brass and silver strings even with cleaning them after every playing session.

The Thomastik-Infelds have lasted for close to two months through regular daily playing and 20+ gigs!

Every other low G string I've used would have already shown string wear, separation or tarnishing by this point, but the Thomastik has been soldiering on with no indication it needs to be changed. (The exception is the new Aquila red low G that works well on the Clara, but doesn't have enough string tension to allow the Misi pickup to amplify them well.)

If you are a Clara player that uses amplification and are looking for a great sounding, intonating and durable low G, I highly recommend the Thomastik-Infeld CF30s!

They come as guitar strings with thread windings on both ends so you'll need to clip those sections off before stringing your uke.

I'm keenly interested in other players' experiences with stringing their Clara, so am keeping this thread alive.

Mahalo for reading!
Aldon

Last edited:
Hi all - thanks for keeping this thread open. I'm sure it will always be of interest to Clara users. I've just bought a Clara and it came with the Low G and Oasis strings. A beautiful sound but I soon found the squeaky low G taking its toll on my fingers. Therefore I've started to experiment. Last night I put on some Freemont High G Black Line Fluorocarbon. First impressions - with my eyesight a little difficult to see the strings against the fretboard at times ;) and the strings were remarkably thinner than the previous strings and certainly a lot thinner than an Aquila set on my Kanile'a. That said, one day in and I'm finding them a lot easier to play (kinder on my fingers ) and a great sound but in my opinion not as clear as the original strings when fingerpicking. I'll keep these on for a while and report back. I also have a set of Worth fluorocarbon which I will try next and then maybe some Aquila black/reds. I'm finding it enjoyable trying different strings and may well end up back where I started. Absolutely love the Clara - size and playability are just perfect. I look forward to keeping this thread informed. (PS Skill level medium).

Top Bottom