What strings are on your Clara?

PereBourik

Ukulele don't judge
UU VIP
Reaction score
Let's talk strings...
Mine came strung with Oasis and a wound low G. When I had a demo of Clara at Blackbird in SF it was strung low G and it blew me away. It was the only uke I'd ever played that made low G tuning sound good to me. I've swapped the low G for an Oasis high G. Much more to my liking. The strings need to settle more, but I am missing the warmth that I'd hoped for. That means I'll be indulging in the string chase soon.

What strings are on your Clara?

Mine are still the strings that came from Blackbird. Don't know what they are.

But I changed the wound low G to a black fluorocarbon low G, which is thicker and doesn't sit in the nut slot so well. But I find that it's better balanced with the rest of the strings.

When mine arrives I will certainly try Aquila Reds at some point. Have really, er ah, warmed to these strings on everything I've tried them on so far.

I'll probably try Worth Brown medium next for fluorocarbon strings. Don't really want to go to nylon strings.

Just ordered a set of Martin m600 strings high G has anyone tried these on the Clara ,,,oh and how does the Clara sound in a High G ?

Just ordered a set of Martin m600 strings high G has anyone tried these on the Clara ,,,oh and how does the Clara sound in a High G ?

Have used M600's but not on the Clara. I put Aquila Reds on mine (re-entrant) and it sounded absolutely fantastic. Quite a few people played it at 'uke festival and everyone raved about the sound. I had intended to also try Southcoast Mediums on there but recently sold it before I got the opportunity. I will absolutely have another when I'm not 'uke restricted.

Just got a Clara that is strung with low-G oasis strings (per manufacturers recommendation). My local store owner is also talking about a set of flat-wound related strings that sound very intriguing. I do know that the next set will be reentrant...

I've just put a spare high G living water string on the Clara just to see if it was worth changing and I think I like the high G better so when the Martins arrive they will go on ,,,,I will just keep my Kamaka as my only low G ,

I've just put a spare high G living water string on the Clara just to see if it was worth changing and I think I like the high G better so when the Martins arrive they will go on ,,,,I will just keep my Kamaka as my only low G ,

Let us know how it sounds with the Martins.

I am probably going to buy a Clara and will set it up with Martin or Oasis strings with a high G.

Further to the last post ,,,,its been raining and I've been trying out some different strings ,Orca low G and the rest worth Browns less boomy than the original strings it has quita a punch ,,,may just keep this set up

Let us know how it sounds with the Martins.

I am probably going to buy a Clara and will set it up with Martin or Oasis strings with a high G.

I just ordered the Clara so this thread applies even more now. Can't wait!

Unless they've changed it will come with Oasis in low G tuning. Clara is louder than any other uke you have. It probably makes sense to get used to her voice in low G. I was in a hurry to swap to high G and did circles around myself trying to find a set that toned down the loud and bright voice that Clara has.

I like Fremont blackline hard tension on Clara, with Fremont soloist low-G. Although the blacklines have taken forever to settle in, they give a nice tone and tame things a bit.

When mine arrives I will certainly try Aquila Reds at some point. Have really, er ah, warmed to these strings on everything I've tried them on so far.

It took a couple of days of playing, but I found I really like the feel of the Aquila Reds - I've been playing them on flea, but I found that some of my other ukes don't really do so well with a lower tension string...

I changed the strings that came on my new Clara to Oasis Bright strings with high G.

Great tone and sustain. Loving my new uke!

I am reviving this thread, as the last post is over a year old. I have had my Clara for a while now and am interested in the strings of choice for Clara owners.

I'm playing in low G. What is your string of choice for low G? How about high G?

Top Bottom