3 versus 4 finger/ finger picking

chuck in ny

Reaction score
trying to learn finger picking and started with 4 finger as to have one on each string. using 4 fingers i could not get the pinky planted on the sound board, i could, but it restricted the movement and power of the ring finger on the A string.
being a clever fellow i switched to 3 fingers using the thumb of course for the 3rd and 4th strings. the pinky then easily rests on the top and doesn't interfere with the process.
i have to be missing something here as others use the 4 finger.

I tried 4 finger a little, but I didn't like it. Three finger seems more natural. I don't finger pick much, but when I do I use three fingers or just my thumb.

Then there's Kimo Hussey's style....thumb and forefinger only, LOL. My pinky finger just kind of floats along, following the ring finger, but not really interfering. Thumb on 4, fore, middle, and ring fingers on 3, 2, and 1.

Last edited:
i switched to 3 fingers using the thumb of course for the 3rd and 4th strings.

This is how I've always played. Recently I've come to realize that being able to use 4 fingers is helpful at times, so it's good to mix it up if you can - there are no hard-and-fast rules in ukulele about what finger to use for each string. Some people even pick with just their thumb!

You are doing no wrong.:)

I was trying to use 4 fingers all the time. However, I have changed, try to be open minded to any method could be used. Now depends on the song & mood, I would use only thumb, or 2, or 3, or 4 fingers.

using 4 fingers i could not get the pinky planted on the sound board, i could, but it restricted the movement and power of the ring finger on the A string.
While I have seen some uke players who anchor their pinky on the soundboard seemingly without issues, you are right... it does restrict the movement of your other fingers.

You don't see classical guitarists anchoring their pinky for this very reason. Same with keeping the LH thumb behind the neck and not wrapping it around the neck and using it to fret the fourth string.

As someone who came to uke after many years of CG, those habits are ingrained in me, but as mentioned, there are no set rules for how you should play uke.

itsme

hmm.. maybe a better idea to give up anchoring the thumb.

Top Bottom