NUD - 2014 John S. Kinnard Style 3 Concert

cigarfan

Reaction score
It's just over a year since I began my ukulele journey. I have sampled over a dozen ukes from soprano to pineapple to baritone. There are so many great builders and instruments out there. No way to own one of each. Just going to have to be satisfied going to jams and trying other folks special instruments.

I have found I am smitten with the signature tone and detail work on a John S. Kinnard ukulele. So much so that I commissioned two of them. A tenor that I received back in Nov 2013 and a concert that was documented in the build thread here.

JMHO but I think my JSKs are the best of those I have sampled. There are ukuleles that will come and go. And then there are some which stay for a lifetime. My JSKs fall in the keeper last category.

Soundclip (provided by Kevin of KinnardUkes.com)

Specs
Model: Style 3 Concert
Top: Old Growth Sequoia Redwood
Back and Sides: Figured Cocobolo
Binding (body/neck/headstock): Flamed Maple
Purfling (top/back/headstock): Abalone
Rosette: 3 Ring - Abalone/Radial Cocobolo/Abalone
Endgraft: Flamed Maple and Abalone
Headplate: Rosewood
Fretboard and Bridge: Rosewood
Nut & Saddle: Bone
Neck: Mahogany
Tuners: All Black UPTs
Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
Tweed Hardshell Case

2014-kinnard-concert-style3-01.jpg

2014-kinnard-concert-style3-02.jpg

2014-kinnard-concert-style3-03.jpg

2014-kinnard-concert-style3-04.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely stunning. That qualifies for the Uke p*** thread, big times.

Too lovely for words. Sounds beautiful. That gloss on the sides and back has an almost mirror finish. Very sharp.

Dennis, that is simply spectacular. One of the most handsome ukes I've seen. And I love, love, love the choice of woods. I think our tastes are quite similar. Let's see, I have a Clara arriving next week, a Pono ETSH-PC-C on order and now I want one of these. Seems like I'm following your lead. Maybe I need to change my name to Dennis, Jr. ;-)

Congrats, Dennis! That's just beautiful, and the sustain is incredible. Great choices!

-Steve

John's finish is spectacular. Really lovely. They sound pretty good too :)

Just going to have to be satisfied going to jams and trying other folks special instruments.

I always thought this was THE reason you went to jams; to talk to fellow uke players and try their special instruments.

That said, this one is a BEAUTY!!!! Wow!

I've been following your build thread for a while Dennis and really enjoyed seeing it get made, the finished product is beyond stunning. Congrats mate.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. This is one special little uke ... in sound and looks. I still can't believe it's here. Absolutely loving everything about it! :D

Top Bottom