1 year later...How we interpret music over time.

Phluffy the Destroyer

Reaction score
Just over a year ago I recorded a little song called Poor Ellen Smith which is a wonderful old bluegrass murder ballad. Recently I decided to revisit the song, so I worked out a new arrangement using the same chords and re-recorded it.

I was originally going to post this in videos a few days ago but there was apparently a problem with the site. While I was getting ready to post it tonight I thought it might be beneficial to post both of them here in the beginners section.

It was really pretty interesting to see how much my interpretation of the song had changed after a year.

April 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDNU38ECXLk&index=34&list=UUSMhUNXAPzA2g3pxLvDYhPA

May 2014
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX5z9vyAcUs

Last edited:
Am only hearing an increase in tempo and a different strumming pattern.

What a great idea! Record the same song every year and see your progress.

You're a lot smoother in the chord transitions and obviously more comfortable playing. Keep up the annual tradition.

Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
See ... It is all in the eye of the beholder! I personally see a vast improvement. Tempo, chord changes, confidence, poise. I think what the previous poster was taking about was perhaps having a melody or some such thing in the middle to break it up a little. Personally, I saw past that and understand that what you were doing was making a quick video presentation of the same song, with the same arrangement, only difference was one years worth of practice.

This video gives me encouragement and I thank you for posting it. After only 1 1/2 months of practice it is easy to find a wall to cause discouragement and your videos are helping to overcome

Definitely more confident in the second one. I always enjoy a song more if I can see it being performed. Good job!

That's pretty cool. I really enjoyed the increased tempo in the second video. I also liked the notes in the first video. Is malicious gardening a crime? Haha

Top Bottom