Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My needs have changed since ordering the East-Start Alida arch-top electric.

Default My needs have changed since ordering the East-Start Alida arch-top electric.

After the long four month wait, adding the new tailpieces, new steel strings, new nut, new knobs, doing the finish stain of the f-hole edges, I've came to the conclusion that my needs have changed and I'm going to sell my East-Start Alida arch-top electric uke.

At the time I was deep in the throws of UAS, and when seeing the arch-top online, I instigated the group buy. During the long wait time, I've learned so much more about playing the ukulele, about what and how I want to play, that I'm sorry to say, this Alida electric is just not it. So I'm going to sell it for what I paid $254 (even though I put in about $50 additional).

Please see my post in Uke Marketplace if you would like to buy it.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...-Hard-Case-254

Such is life. That happens to me all the time. I never seem to touch my electrics these days.

Good luck finding your "groove" I bought mine pretty much as a "toy" or......a sow's ear with great potential. I still think it's worth the money if someone enjoys tinkering with it and getting it up to it's full potential. Cigar box builders would love some of those replaced parts. To them, (read old chicken commercial) "parts is parts." LOL. If I didn't have one, I'd buy it.

Hey Mike, I think maybe you're running up against the thing that has left me never tempted to try a steel-string uke no matter how pretty they might be. I've got umpteen gazillion electric guitars (that I never really play any more). A steel string uke is basically the same sound as playing an electric guitar well up the neck, with the added detraction that you don't get the sweet "round" sound that you do from playing a guitar around it's mid point on the string.

I can understand somebody who hasn't played guitar being attracted to a steel string uke, but for those of us who know (and perhaps have more or less abandoned) the six of strings the steel string acoustic uke just don't make much sense.

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

I have a Fender Telecaster and an Ibanez AF85 archtop hollow body, which are perfectly fine as they go, but I too haven't played them much, even before starting ukulele last July, now not at all. I've definitely been swayed by the nylon string, standard body sound of my ukuleles.

Chalk it up to a learning experience man...what is initially perceived may not be your preference...that is why in the uke world I always say,
    Try before you buy.....never buy sight unseen or unheard if buying for the first time from an unreliable source, even if the price or looks sound nice.
    rely on your good instincts and not hype.... there is a good lesson here
    I made alot of mistakes too out of impulse and or excitement..
    Making music is a gift in itself, and when you can share it ....it is your gift to others

I actually have no regrets overall, in fact, I'm glad I was able be instrumental in so many others getting something they will enjoy. It's a pretty nice instrument, especially for the price, just needs some tweaking. I'm sure I'll still be compulsive, but tempered to a degree with each experience.

I'll take my tinkering only so far, then pass it on to my luthier. I'm not interested in the process of dressing frets or fine tuning each groove in a nut or routing out a bridge to fit a pickup, but I'll carve out the side of my uke to fit a preamp, drill and install strap buttons, and even add a tailpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by OldePhart View Post
    the steel string acoustic uke just don't make much sense.
    Something like this?
    --- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- ---
    Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
    Join the Vita ukulele group
    Join the Brüko ukulele owners group

Quote Originally Posted by Skrik View Post
    Actually, I meant to say steel string electric ukulele.

If I remember right the thread you reference was talking about "is it still a ukulele" or "is it legitimate" or something like that. What I was talking about here is a bit different...I'm not saying that it's not legitimate to call it an ukulele just because it has steel strings and a magnetic pickup...I'm just saying that for anyone who already owns and plays electric guitar a steel string electric ukulele doesn't open any new territory, especially if strung with linear strings as most seem to be. I.e. I can play exactly the same things and with better tone using one of my electric guitars than I can on an electric steel-string ukulele.

For someone who doesn't play guitar and doesn't want to put in the time to learn...a steel-string ukulele might make good sense.

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

Thread Information