How do you combat UAS?

JayMadison

Reaction score
So I started playing a month or two ago, and somehow I seem to have 3 ukes now (including the fluke that's being shipped to me) and i'm curious how you stop the whole UAS thing before you wind up devoting a room in your house to them. Not that i'd really mind that, since they are all basically unique and interesting.

So I started playing a month or two ago, and somehow I seem to have 3 ukes now (including the fluke that's being shipped to me) and i'm curious how you stop the whole UAS thing before you wind up devoting a room in your house to them. Not that i'd really mind that, since they are all basically unique and interesting.
I would start by asking, why are you buying them?

Mostly because I like the idea of appreciating the different facets of the instrument, they basically all have different woods and I enjoy playing all of them. It's a lot like learning different programing languages, some are good for some things some good for others. It's the way I tend to appreciate things I'm a fan of.

Get married. Trying to "justify" more than 2-3 ukes to your S.O. makes one realize how silly it is. ;-)

My question is, WHY combat UAS? Other than SWMBO, of course . . .

bobinde

Best way to combat UAS? Just get another uke...

Surrender!

Mostly because I like the idea of appreciating the different facets of the instrument, they basically all have different woods and I enjoy playing all of them. It's a lot like learning different programing languages, some are good for some things some good for others. It's the way I tend to appreciate things I'm a fan of.
I'm hearing this UAS being thrown around a lot, but it sounds to me like you are a ukulele collector, along with being a ukulele player. Nothing wrong with having two hobbies.

It's infinitely cheaper then when I had kayak acquisition syndrome so I just enjoy it. Although I'm jonesing for a few I can't justify right now, so purchases may be on hold for awhile.

Get married. Trying to "justify" more than 2-3 ukes to your S.O. makes one realize how silly it is. ;-)

Unless you get your SO interested in ukes as well, which just enables you all the more... I have my "forever" concert uke picked out and he's not appallingly against it. It is just a matter of time.

It's infinitely cheaper then when I had kayak acquisition syndrome so I just enjoy it. Although I'm jonesing for a few I can't justify right now, so purchases may be on hold for awhile.

Cheaper than bicycles too. And let's not even get into mistresses and Porsches.

Extreme Hoarding Ukulele's strummed to death will be airing on some cable channel in the very near future.

I'm sure my death will put an end to it.

I think the answer is to buy lots of ukes. Then the mania gradually subsides and normal life (and playing) re-starts.

UAS-busters are everywhere! My favorites:

1. SWMBO = Spouse Who Must Be Obeyed (Well, respected, anyway. Because marriage/relationship and common decency.)

2. Lack of Funds

3. Lack of Storage Space (best established by adding guitars to the mix)

4. Lack of Time to Play Them All (especially meaningful for those of us who also have guitar issues)

5. Gotta-Have Accessories (camps, festivals, lessons, strings for various tunings, books/charts, capos, tuners/batteries ...)

For me, it's All of the Above ... and yet ... despite all of this ... I have 4 ukuleles and am contemplating a 5th (that, or a Seagull dolcimer, as soon as funds come in).

Gooood Luck!

Top Bottom