Worth string 'gauges'?

Shady Wilbury

Reaction score
Hi, all.

I've done a search, but couldn't find anything about this specific topic. Sorry if I haven't looked hard enough. I'm considering branching out to Worth ukulele strings for my tenor, because the Aquilas just don't sound right on it. However, it doesn't seem that simple. Please can somebody explain the differences between light, medium and heavy in this case?

Many thanks.

It is less confusing than you might think.

Worth strings= C means Clear and is bright sounding

CL =clear light, for soprano
CM = clear medium for soprano or concert
CT = clear tenor for tenor

Brown is warm sounding

BL
BM
BT

But you can fill in the blanks above for the brown strings.

Your options for tenor are CT, CH, and CF. The CT ones are "normal." The CH ones are heavy gauges (what I like). And the CF ones are the same as CH except for a thicker A string (I wasn't too excited about it).

Do you play with low g? Because then you have three more options, but I won't confuse you yet...

And the terms light, medium and heavy refer to the tension correct? So on a very lightly built soprano one might not want to use a medium tension string? (I'm trying to sort all this out myself)

The major problem with all of the nylon string makers except D'Addario is that they rate their strings in very ill-defined terms like "hard tension", "high tension", "extra high tension", etc. These terms are particularly useless...as are the actual gauges (diameter measurements)...when talking about nylon or other synthetic plastic strings because the linear density of the material varies so widely. D'Addario has particularly good...even great...information regarding all of their strings on their website. You can compare "apples to apples" with them. You can't with any other string maker I know of.

Top Bottom