Wrinkles in the waist

Timbuck

Reaction score
Just completed a batch of 8 sopranos 7 turned out pretty good...Just one has let me down...I got wrinkles/creases when bending (My fault I suppose :eek:)..I thought that I had sanded them out ..But! when the stain and FP was applied they showed up again :mad:...pitty co's this uke is a nice player ..anyway I've put it up for grabs in my shop window;) at a reduced price...this is a pic of the offending bit.

Last edited:
I'm not allowed links to my ebay items

I've seen plenty of members announcing an item for sale, then supplying nothing more than an ebay link. The 2 MBs that were sold on here, for example (IIRC).

I've just checked the rules and this it what it says.

There are three Marketplace rules:

1.Please do not post links or otherwise direct people to your eBay auction. This subsection is intended for member-to-member transactions only, sans middle man. If you would like to announce your eBay auction, please do so in the Links and Videos subsection.

2.Dealers may not post in the Marketplace. If you wish to start a thread about your business, you may do so in the Links and Videos subsection.

3.Certain items are unsuitable for trade through UU. The following are prohibited and may not be mentioned, even in hints or code, in the context of trading on this forum:
> weapons (including, but not only, firearms, knives, bows/crossbows, stun guns and martial arts weapons)
> drugs or medicines
> any item the trading/selling of which is subject to legal regulation or control, including items such as tortoiseshell, wood, and other things covered by the CITES convention.

Post a notice in the Marketplace that you have a uke for sale, along with a link to your post in the Links and Videos section, wherein lies a link to your ebay auction.

And you're a luthier, not a dealer. So that's ok.

Eesh...compression fractures never sand out. Mahogany seems much more prone to that than other woods I've worked with.
Those look almost invisible though. I wouldn't discount it too much

Does anyone know if these type of wrinkles in the waist are likely to be a problem structurally or is it purely a cosmetic thing? I have a handmade soprano with these type of wrinkles in both sides of the waist. They are quite noticeable and you can just about feel them when rubbing your finger across them

It depends on the extent of the wrinkles. Slight ones are no problem whatsoever.
Larger ones are called "cracks".

I wouldn't call them cracks at all and on the inside they're barely visible. Here's a couple of pics

image.jpg
image.jpg

"Super-Soft II" veneer treatment seems to reduce the instance of wrinkles on troublesome wood. I use it on fracture prone wood, like curly & flamed wood.

I have been applying Super Soft II to my waist all morning, but it's still as wrinkly as ever. Although, to be honest, it was already super soft before I started using that stuff.

I have been applying Super Soft II to my waist all morning, but it's still as wrinkly as ever. Although, to be honest, it was already super soft before I started using that stuff.

Not your waist, you are supposed to be applying it to "troublesome wood" like my instructions said. Enough said.

I had two more sets of ready bent sides cut from the same piece of mahogany..They also showed slight signs of wrinkles :(...So I decided not to use them and I destroyed them before they could give me any more pain.;)

I had two more sets of ready bent sides cut from the same piece of mahogany..They also showed slight signs of wrinkles :(...So I decided not to use them and I destroyed them before they could give me any more pain.;)

Would you say based on my pics above that I should query it?

Last edited:
They are compression wrinkles in the wood Daz. The area where you see that line has collapsed under the stress of the bending operation. If there aren't crack on the inside, then don't worry about it. They are not structural. Just cosmetic.

It happens for a few reasons. The bend is more than the wood can take. Bending too fast. Not enough steam / heat.

Some woods are far more prone to it than others. Mahogany can be a real problem with this.

Top Bottom