Hanging my uke

Still Water Weapons

Reaction score
I usually play (let's call is practice for now) at the office. I also tend to practice more when the uke is not in it's case, I have a hanger on the wall so it is convenient to grab.
My question is about humidification, I live in hot, dry Tucson AZ, I have an Oasis humidifier in it whenever it's not in my lap. Is it OK to leave it hanging with the Oasis in it and not in the case? I don't want it to crack.
I have had it at least a year, so it seems very stable, keeps tune very well.
Oh, my Uke is a Kala flame maple tenor, so I'm pretty sure it is solid wood. Thanks for your help!

Other may disagree, but if my humidity was less than 25-30% routinely, because the frets and fretboard, bridge and headstock also need humidification, I'd put it in the case or buy a room humidifier (many past threads on that topic).

Good luck to you.

I used to live in Tucson and remember it getting so dry your face would chap and your lips would crack if you didn't keep them moisturized.

According to weather.com, the current humidity in Tucson is 7%. Don't know how much dryer than that it can get.

I'm with coolkayaker on this... keep it in the case. If you want something you can leave out, consider a Dolphin or a Flea/Fluke.

I have never used a humidifier for my uke but it's pretty humid here in Grand Island, NY. I agree with coolkayaker1, but I dont think leaving the humidifier in while it's hanging would hurt.

What coolkayaker1 says. Use a room humidifier.

not ok unless the whole room is humidified...you will get a crack!

Wow, well it is certainly unanimous! I guess, back in the case it goes. Just to be clear, I wasn't going to leave it out over night, just during the day so I could play a little, then hang it up if the phone rang etc. I will probably still do that, but I will certainly limit how much it's out.

Dang it all to heck! That means I just need to buy another uke that can "hang" with my at the office. Thanks guys, you just gave me reason, in writing I might add, that I need a new ukulele!

Just get a room humidifier. I keep my ukes on wall hangers but I keep a hygrometer in the room (currently reading 54%). It is always about 40-60% here as I live near the ocean. But when it does dip down I close the door to the room and turn on the room humidifier -- it gets it back up to acceptable levels. But if you can't humidify the room adequately, then yes, put it in the case. I had a uke get a crack at my old house (where we were routinely around 20%) because I left it out.

Yeah Wicked, that's not too feasible as it's my office I am talking about. So I can't really keep the door closed. I'm supposed to "be here" for my employees, blah blah blah...

Wow, and you cracked a uke at 20%!!?? I think if we got that high we would all grow mold in unspoken of places!

I do have a large fish tank in my office, so it's probably the most humid room in my building. I need to get a hygrometer in here and see what my readings really are.

Maybe I will have to budget for a humidor remodel so I can store cigars and ukuleles! Off to speak to the accountant!;)

Yeah Wicked, that's not too feasible as it's my office I am talking about. So I can't really keep the door closed. I'm supposed to "be here" for my employees, blah blah blah...

Wow, and you cracked a uke at 20%!!?? I think if we got that high we would all grow mold in unspoken of places!

I do have a large fish tank in my office, so it's probably the most humid room in my building. I need to get a hygrometer in here and see what my readings really are.

Maybe I will have to budget for a humidor remodel so I can store cigars and ukuleles! Off to speak to the accountant!;)

Oops, my fault for not reading that it was an office. And the humidity was usually 20% there but on occasion dipped around 9 or 10 percent.

Good luck to you, I hope you find an option that works well for you... :)

My office is way more climate controlled than my house, even with the office door open. (Cleaner, too.) I would leave it out during the day without hesitation, but I am east of you. Does anyone in your building have a comparable item that they leave out such as a guitar or a dulcimer?

I am going to bring my ukulele to work when we start back in the fall. I have a basket in mind to use when it is out of the case. Pictured is the basket I am using this summer for the two I most often play. Makes it easy to move indoors and out and less likely that I will step on them or drop them. I realize that is not answering your question about hanging, but if your office is like mine, administration is pretty antsy about hanging anything up - they like to have items hanging from picture wire from the drop ceiling next to the wall. Plus, mine would be the one item that falls.

Attachments

• Uke basket 1.jpg
    Uke basket 1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Uke basket 2.jpg
    Uke basket 2.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Top Bottom