Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gold Tone Banjoleles

Default Gold Tone Banjoleles

Anybody own a Gold Tone Banjolele? Whadaya think? Good? The flat "resonator" on the back--is it just a board? Can one just leave it off and use the Uke open backed? What the heck is the pot made of? Is it wood? It looks like some man-made substance. Is yours DGBE? That's what I want, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    Anybody own a Gold Tone Banjolele? Whadaya think? Good? The flat "resonator" on the back--is it just a board? Can one just leave it off and use the Uke open backed? What the heck is the pot made of? Is it wood? It looks like some man-made substance. Is yours DGBE? That's what I want, I think.
    if you want DGBE go for the gold tone baritone banjolele i don't own one but i've heard enough good things
    about them and sound samples seems best if your looking to use the baritone uke tuning. In fact i want one my self.
    Current Ukes:
    Makala Shark Soprano (high g)
    Vorson Steel String Solid Body Electric Tenor (low g)

Electric Guitar/Electric Ukulele Based drone ambient music
    http://iamesper.bandcamp.com

Anybody own a Gold Tone Banjolele?

Yup

Whadaya think? Good?

Yup

The flat "resonator" on the back--is it just a board? Can one just leave it off and use the Uke open backed?

Mine is open back.

What the heck is the pot made of? Is it wood?

Yup.

It looks like some man-made substance. Is yours DGBE? That's what I want, I think.

GCEA soprano
    Last edited by Freeda; 05-28-2014 at 04:58 PM.
    "play till you don't suck no more" ~Chuck Deyo "I think it's cool you turned one of your 'some day I'm gonna's into a 'today I did.' " ~RichM "Self care is not failure." ~JerBear "It is impossible to reason with people who do not rely on reason." ~ mascompro "You make your own magic." ~ Mim"The riff-raff are my people." ~ Joko

Other people's opinions of me are none of my business.

I have the tenor version with dGBE strings (high 'd'). It will not take a low D without modifying the tailpiece and nut. It still has the closed back but I understand it can be removed.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    I have the tenor version with dGBE strings (high 'd'). It will not take a low D without modifying the tailpiece and nut. It still has the closed back but I understand it can be removed.
    thats why the baritone version would be best you can set up low or high d with them.
    Current Ukes:
    Makala Shark Soprano (high g)
    Vorson Steel String Solid Body Electric Tenor (low g)

Electric Guitar/Electric Ukulele Based drone ambient music
    http://iamesper.bandcamp.com

Thanks, All, for the help. A bad case of UAS is growing within . . .

The Gold Tone and the Eddy Finn are so closely similar, they are probably made in the same factory. Why carry a baritone length when one can get the same sound out of a more conveniently sized tenor or concert? I will put a set of dGBE strings on my concert to see how the feel and sound. Widening the 4th slots will not be brain surgery. A set of automotive feeler gauges makes a set of files very quickly and easily. You only need one. If you want to know how to do it, I can tell you. The flat REFLECTOR on the back allows the sound to project rather than be swallowed up in one's clothing as with an open backed banjoukulele. I put one on my little soprano open-back.

I have a Goldtone baritone banjo uke and it's a very nice instrument. Mine is tuned high-D.

Good fit and finish, but I would have preferred a 10" pot for this scale instead of the 8" they use for all their banjo ukes.

I immediately removed the back of mine and put a bit of sponge under the skin to mute it a bit for playing around the house because it's a LOUD instrument. I have experimented with different types of material as a resonator plate, too. You can get a bit more of a banjo-like ring with metal.

You can buy a chrome armrest from GT, too. I haven't got it, but would really like one.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

While a lot of folks use the term "banjolele" as a generic term to refer to a skin head uke instrument, Banjolele is actually a specific Gold Tone model. The Banjolele is a higher end instrument than the BUS, BUC, BUT, or BUB models. It also is an open back, non resonator type. Just a point of clarification...

I love mine, concert length, tuned gCEA, LOUD!
    Big Phil

Moore Bettah 55 VW Tenor
    Ko'Aloha Soprano
    Kanilea K1 Tenor Premium
    Kanilea Concert Hono Premium
    Pono Acacia Baritone
    Gold Tone Concert Banjolele
    Alida Archtop Electric Tenor
    Kala UBass
    Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor
    Philnominal Ukuleles Walnut Tenor
    Islander Guitalele

Quote Originally Posted by bigphil View Post
    While a lot of folks use the term "banjolele" as a generic term to refer to a skin head uke instrument, Banjolele is actually a specific Gold Tone model.
    It's also a term used in the 30s, perhaps earlier.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

Thread Information