NUD: First baritone

bynapkinart

Reaction score
So I've kind of been falling out of ukulele for the past 6 or so months...I'm a guitar player and songwriter first and for whatever reason I was feeling "stuck" with ukulele after having played it much more than guitar for the past couple of years. I had looked at baritones but because I've been so stuck with the uke I just couldn't justify spending a whole lot on one, so I was waiting for the right deal to come along before snagging it.

Recently I bought this uke, which is label- and headstock logo- free and hard to identify but from the design and the age I think it's a 70's Hikare baritone from Japan. All laminate but is surprisingly extremely loud and resonant...I've owned a few lam ukes and this is by far the biggest-sounding and has better sustain than any of the lam ukes I've tried. The sound is super mellow and sweet (which is what I was going for in a baritone), the action is a tad higher than I'd like but then again I haven't gone through and done my usual clean, polish and setup that I usually do on new used ukes (that's a weekend project for me).

Baritone is interesting, it's so much more mellow to me and really reminds me of the classic Hawaiian tunes I've heard and enjoyed most (think the music from the Descendants).

Here's a sound sample: https://soundcloud.com/ben-young-napkin-art/dreams-baritone

Here are a few pics: IMAG0161.jpgIMAG0162.jpgIMAG0164.jpg

Most importantly though, it was $50 with a case and a really good opportunity to see how I can integrate it into my songwriting style. I've played Kamaka and Martin baritones and while I would probably like to get one in the future I just didn't see the need to spend that much without knowing if I'll love the size. I'm thinking if I love this enough I might be back begging for someone to post their Pono AB for sale so I can get a deal on it!

Last edited:
Yay for you! Any pics?

I agree with starting with a $50 one to see if it is for you. I just did that with a soprano and a super soprano. My story was similar to yours in that I was starting to feel in a rut with my concert size.

So I've kind of been falling out of ukulele for the past 6 or so months...I'm a guitar player and songwriter first and for whatever reason I was feeling "stuck" with ukulele after having played it much more than guitar for the past couple of years. I had looked at baritones but because I've been so stuck with the uke I just couldn't justify spending a whole lot on one, so I was waiting for the right deal to come along before snagging it.

Recently I bought this uke, which is label- and headstock logo- free and hard to identify but from the design and the age I think it's a 70's Hikare baritone from Japan. All laminate but is surprisingly extremely loud and resonant...I've owned a few lam ukes and this is by far the biggest-sounding and has better sustain than any of the lam ukes I've tried. The sound is super mellow and sweet (which is what I was going for in a baritone), the action is a tad higher than I'd like but then again I haven't gone through and done my usual clean, polish and setup that I usually do on new used ukes (that's a weekend project for me).

Baritone is interesting, it's so much more mellow to me and really reminds me of the classic Hawaiian tunes I've heard and enjoyed most (think the music from the Descendants). I'll be recording it in the next day or so and will post it here for you all. I'll also post a picture in a bit!

Most importantly though, it was $50 with a case and a really good opportunity to see how I can integrate it into my songwriting style. I've played Kamaka and Martin baritones and while I would probably like to get one in the future I just didn't see the need to spend that much without knowing if I'll love the size. I'm thinking if I love this enough I might be back begging for someone to post their Pono AB for sale so I can get a deal on it!

welcome to the bari world, like i always say 'once you go baritone you never go back'.
Is descendants a movie btw or are you talking about the punk band? if its the band
did not know they used uke. Anyway....liked to see some photos of your uke.
I do agree the baritone ukulele can sound very classic Hawaiian. If played right.

Congratulations!

I meant to post these earlier but here are a few pics...maybe someone can help identify this uke? Sound sample to come tonight!IMAG0161.jpgIMAG0162.jpgIMAG0164.jpg

Looks like it's in really good shape.

I can't tell you anything except that it definitely looks like mahogany all around, laminate or not.

welcome to the bari world, like i always say 'once you go baritone you never go back'.
Is descendants a movie btw or are you talking about the punk band? if its the band
did not know they used uke. Anyway....liked to see some photos of your uke.
I do agree the baritone ukulele can sound very classic Hawaiian. If played right.

Haha definitely the movie!

$50?! Wow nice deal. Where did you find such a good deal? Craigslist?

Haha definitely the movie!

never heard of the movie.
I looked at a trailer it looks like
the title doesn't fit with the movie.

anyway the baritone is great
it's i think the most diverse of all the ukes
you can get a nice robust deep linear
g or you can do a still deep but close harmony
of reentrant g, you can string it up in gcea
like a normal uke aka a jumpo tenor or you can
capo the 5th fret and you have a tenor
with a low g.

I think the size is still small enough
to be portable just as any other uke
but the size also adds to that nice mellow
tone. I think some people think of te plinky
soprano sound when they think hawiian
music. but there is also that mellow slow jazzy
style which the baritone fits and still very much
sounds like a ukulele it just has a deeper voice,
which I think makes it sound more mellow , and calm
rather than hyper and fast like standard ukes.

btw nice recording sounds good.

Top Bottom