2014 Kala Resonators

jotto

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has one yet and what they think? How does the sound compare to other resos?

Also, how easily can these be modified and how much of a sound improvement would swapping out the cone and biscuit to a National or similar make?

Thanks for any experience anyone has. My local shop just got both models and I got to play one briefly and liked it, but was curious how changing the strings from the Aquilas (not my favorite) to Worths or similar might change the sound. I haven't had a chance to hear many other resos aside from online.

I sure hope someone does respond to this I am interested as well. I did see one youtube reviewer that had a lot of good things to say about the 2014 model. It also seems like it is getting harder to find them, as if they have already stopped making them?

Just curious if anyone has one yet and what they think? How does the sound compare to other resos?

Also, how easily can these be modified and how much of a sound improvement would swapping out the cone and biscuit to a National or similar make?

Thanks for any experience anyone has. My local shop just got both models and I got to play one briefly and liked it, but was curious how changing the strings from the Aquilas (not my favorite) to Worths or similar might change the sound. I haven't had a chance to hear many other resos aside from online.

I really like the one luna makes with the tiki on it i so want one, in fact i pretty much want any ukulele ever made (except for the tofukulele) so who am i to say. my next uke I'm planning on getting is a tenor, than a new baritone, than next is a nice resonator. I had my eye on the gretsch tenor but I'm considering the kala or luna. I have a lot of saving to do.

I was told by the local music store they wouldn't be available (in Canada, at least), until August. i emailed Kala about that a few months ago, but never got a response.

Check with Mike at Uke Republic and Mim.

Last time I checked mim only had 2 in stock. Better hurry if you want one.

Last time I checked mim only had 2 in stock. Better hurry if you want one.

As of a few minutes ago, neither her website nor the eBay shop show any Kala Resos. They do appear to be a well implemented reso at a very decent price.

I have no experience with Kala's resonator but I do have a Gold Tone resouke (all metal body) from MIM. I did change out the Aquilas, which I thought were much too brash, for some Martin fluorocarbons M600's. Sounds much better now. I assume Worth Clears would sound good too on it.

Am waiting to hear about them myself. Resonator supposed to be larger and sound better than the previous model (of course it does, I bought the old model)

Kala Resonator eating the A string

I sure hope someone does respond to this I am interested as well. I did see one youtube reviewer that had a lot of good things to say about the 2014 model. It also seems like it is getting harder to find them, as if they have already stopped making them?

I just acquired this lovely model several days ago. Three A strings later in less than 12 hours and we two will be visiting the shop.

One time the string just popped while not even being played. It was on the table beside me when the ptwoink sound sent me jumping. I thought there was some poltergeist in my ukulele that had a thing for the A string.

I will write more after our trip to my local repair shop. The string keeps breaking near the bridge. I suspect the metal bridge and its less than rounded side might be the problem.

I remember reading about the Kalas having different tie-bar/ set ups for the strings and them snapping strings. I take it that this issue is still not resolved (?) I like reso's but they are a rather unique sound and can see how some people wouldn't like then at all. Plus they're really purty!

Hi Igor,
You are right about the tie bar problem. It has a very thin sharp metal edge and this may cut into the string as there is also quite alot of tension centered at this spot.

I think/hope my reso is all better now. I just picked It up from my local music shop. The tech there is worth her weight in gold. I havent played it too much yet. I'll pull it out today. :):cool:

They're finally available in Canada and am interested in any updates before I choose to buy one. Still not sure about the string breaking - that been resolved? or is it a non-problem?

Still having issues. The whole string setup on the body just seems
wonky. There is this metal flat section that the strings are tied to after they go through this slotted wooden bridge and metal housing. I will try to snap some photos. But this design seems less than ideal for the strings,as this contorts the A string. I had another series of A string snaps and this leaves me nervous about playing the thing. So far I have a really pretty Ukulele shaped paperweight.

I am a fan of Kalas. I think generally they make great instruments for the price, particularly the solid top ones. But I played some of the resos in a store and was pretty unimpressed. Surprisingly they weren't even very loud.

I purchased one of the Kala resonators last weekend. Overall, I really like it, but I have a deep love for a resonator anything.

I've played my friend's Gretsch resonator, and to my ears, the Kala has a much fuller more balanced sound. I also played several Recording King resonators at the music store and preferred the Kala to them as well.

Although, It has popped the A string twice. I thought it was at the bridge, so I removed the cover this morning after the second one broke and did some light sanding on the saddle with very fine sandpaper. After reading this thread however, I examined the piece where the strings tie off (not sure what it's called, tailpiece, maybe?) and find it to be sharp on the back side where the string wraps around to tie. I'll pick up a set of strings this week (may try the Worth's, thanks for the suggestion) and pull the tailpiece(?) off and give it the once over to make sure the sharp edges are removed. I'm thinking a buffing wheel should be enough to smooth it out. Honestly I'm surprised that it's not plastic, but it appears to be painted stamped metal.

Last edited:
OK, update...

I had the uke hanging on a stand behind me and toward the end of the day at work today it went *ping* and sure enough the A string had popped again.

After removing the strings, I pulled the tailpiece of and sure enough it was really sharp from the stamping process. I took some jeweler's files and dressed the edges nicely before restringing it with Aquilas. Let's see how it works out...

Top Bottom