comparing soprano weight list

315g - Ohana SK-38
331g - Ohana SK-39
359g - Kiwaya KSU-1
410g - Koaloha KSO-10 (with UPTs and one strap button)
417g - Martin OXK

NamePrice (US$)Weight (gram)Price/Weight ($/g)
Ohana SK-383493151.1
Ohana SK-394293311.3
Kiwaya KSU-11003590.3
Koaloha KSO-104504101.1
Martin OXK4004171.0

Basically 1g is 1 US$.

Martin 1927-1932 Style 0- 284 grams (10 ounces)

Last edited:
Is there a thread for concert ukes? My Tanglewood TU14M weighed in at 470g, with strap.

Old thread revival! For what it's worth, I just weighed my Ohana SK-39 on a fairly accurate set of scales and it's 328 grams. That's including the strings.

I weighed it because I was reading about whether or not solid wood instruments really 'open up' over time, and what might be the cause if they do. A few people have suggested that it's loss of water that improves the weight:tensile strength ratio. This made me curious about whether my two year-old uke had lost any weight! Hence my finding this old thread.

Old thread revival! For what it's worth, I just weighed my Ohana SK-39 on a fairly accurate set of scales and it's 328 grams. That's including the strings.

I weighed it because I was reading about whether or not solid wood instruments really 'open up' over time, and what might be the cause if they do. A few people have suggested that it's loss of water that improves the weight:tensile strength ratio. This made me curious about whether my two year-old uke had lost any weight! Hence my finding this old thread.
Great thread, wonder how Ponos might weigh in as they are often described as more substantial. As for "opening up" I think this refers to the player as he subconsciously adjusts his playing gradually over time to make the uke sound better to his ears.

This is fun old thread that I’m glad got revived. Looks like I never posted to it. I’m not sure if owned my Weymann at the time this thread was started.

The previous owner of my 1918 Weymann weighed it at 8.2 oz (~ 232g). It feels ridiculously light.

(See her old thread here: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/index.php?threads/the-lightest-ukulele.134165/)

That was before I had the wood tuners switched out for Pegheds. I have no idea if that impacted the weight. I should weigh it again. I should weigh my Pohaku too. I don’t remember what was listed for the weight when I bought it.

Just put some new strings on the Svenster's Argapa Piccolo and put it on the scale. I know it's small anyway, but the kitchen scales measured what looked like 200. The digital scale gave 213g. Graphtech Tune-a-lele tuners contribute; not sure if they are even lighter than the violin pegs! Boy, it's good to have decent strings on this again. Worth BM quite satisfactory at standard GCEA tuning.
UPDATED THE FIRST POST A BIT. NOT ALL, BUT WILL ENDEAVOUR...

Attachments

• 2022-11-22 12.58.53.jpg
    2022-11-22 12.58.53.jpg
    606.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Thought I would chime in on this one. My lightest, (no scale to weigh) is an SS Stewart made in Chicago. very light build that has held up with no cracks or deformities. The tuners pictured are metal friction that fit perfectly, easy to tune and holds the tunning. Pictures tell the story.

Attachments

• SS Stewart.JPG
    SS Stewart.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 13
  • SS Stewart peg & insert.JPG
    SS Stewart peg & insert.JPG
    258.3 KB · Views: 12
My Famous FS-0 soprano (the thinline version, identical to the Kiwaya KS-0) weighs in at 333g
Would be useful to know whether you purchased new or used. I generally only play in the used markets. Also whether you have geared tuners and/or pickups for a fair body weight comparison. Dates purchased also reflect inflation/deflation. A Necro-Thread I know, but at any rate here are my most recent 2 sopranos;

ModelPrice Paid w/shipping+tax, DateWeight (g)Where purchased$/g
Ohana SK25 (mint) geared$106.00 Nov 2022377.05Reverb0.2811
Ohana SK22Z (mint) geared w/soundboard pickup and endpin jack$111.51 Dec 2022408.2eBay0.2731

Last edited:
To revive an old thread- I recently acquired an early Martin Style 1, circa 1920-1925. It is probably the lightest instrument I have ever had at 251 grams or 8.8 ounces. It has the old wood pegs, which helps it be such a feather weight.

My mid 1920s Martin Style 0 mahogany with wooden pegs and gut strings is 238g or 8.4 oz.. It's so light, if I drop it, it floats gracefully like a feather.

My mid 1920s Martin Style 0 mahogany with wooden pegs and gut strings is 238g or 8.4 oz.. It's so light, if I drop it, it floats gracefully like a feather.
Wow. That is pretty amazing!

I have two Enya Nova Mini that feel very heavy, more than my tenors. Unfortunately they are at my office and can't weigh them. But if someone else has one please add to the list.

Great thread, wonder how Ponos might weigh in as they are often described as more substantial. As for "opening up" I think this refers to the player as he subconsciously adjusts his playing gradually over time to make the uke sound better to his ears.
Pono MGS-K - 419 grams.

ANTIQUE VINTAGE UKULELE JOSE ALVAREZ TELESFORO JULVE 1920s-30s BARCELONA SPAIN spanish cedar/violin pegs 322g

Top Bottom