Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Things to Fret About?

Default Some Things to Fret About?

Okay All you Luthiers, what is your experience on frets....
    What is the advantages on a lower seated fret aside playability and comfort? Does a higher seat offer better anything in volume or tone wise? and what is your experience with the sizes and shapes or frets. which one to you offers more and why.....Thank you in Advance
    Making music is a gift in itself, and when you can share it ....it is your gift to others

I'm chiming in here just to add the green mark so I can follow this thread.

Outstanding query, Stanley.

They don't make the slightest bit of difference to either tone or volume. Why would they? At the end of the day it's just a string being stopped by a piece of metal.
    Whether or not you prefer the feel of fat, thin, low or high frets is down to individual player preference. Nothing more than that really.

"Seating" is the physical process of mating the crown shoulder to the fret board. Are you asking about crown height and/or profile?
    The only thing better than playing is building!

I always thought taller frets required less finger pressure to fret a string.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    I always thought taller frets required less finger pressure to fret a string.
    Or more, if the string is tight (to get string to fretboard)? I don't know, just asking. Also, are taller frets more likely to be played out of tune (e.g. sharp) if incorrectly fretted?

Not a builder but i know my OU has massive high frets and you press down and the damn thing goes sharp every time, so yup i agree with cool...

With hand/wrist issues I've learned by accident that taller frets are easier for me to play. If I over pressure and go sharp that's just another alarm that I'm working too hard.
    “Justice is like a train that is nearly always late,” - Russian poet Yevgeny Yevtushenko.

“62,400 repetitions make one truth.” - Bernard Marx, character in Brave New World, Alduous Huxley

Dig In-finity! - The Naz, in the words of Lord Buckley

Taller frets assume that you aren't going to be pushing the string to the fretboard.
    If you like to push the string to the wood, you should like lower frets.
    Have Courage!
    Guitar & ukulele building, repairs also, 38 yrs. in business.
    http://davidnewtonguitars.squarespace.com/repairs/

First up would be aesthetics. Some might like the look of big fat frets, and on a bass, that's fine. But on a ukulele or mandolin they look silly and just plain wrong. Take that to the next level where we as builders are always trying to improve our work, and then the subtitles of those aesthetics between small size differences in appropriately sized frets from one brand to another is what drives me. Soprano's get a different fret than my Baritones. Guitars get something else again.

Intonation is also a factor. All be it a very small one and more to do with playing style than the hight of the fret. But if you have a tall fret and are the type that mashes the string down to the fret board, that note will be sharper than on a lower fret with everything else being equal......but we are splitting hairs here.

Thread Information