Strings Ukulele String Comparisons Spreadsheet

NOTLguy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Recently on one of the many threads about ukulele strings, a spreadsheet comparing string manufacturers and types was mentioned. It does not seem to be available to the forum anymore.

I have created a new spreadsheet which compares many of the most popular ukulele strings on the market showing data collected from the manufacturers web sites etc. It includes , in many cases, the string composition, string diameters and string tensions in Metric and Imperial units for Soprano, Concert. Tenor and Baritone tuning. Not all manufacturers provide string tension data as the spreadsheet shows. Unavailable data is recorded as "NA".

String choice is subjective. What you hear with a particular string set on your particular ukulele may not be what another player hears. In order to obtain the perfect sound for you and your ukulele, you will have to try different sets. Hopefully this spreadsheet will assist you in selecting string sets to try.

There are still some brands of strings that are not included, and I am trying to find the required specifications to include them. I will update it as the information comes available. I you have information on other strings that could be included, or suggestions, please contact me or reply to this thread.

My thanks to Andrew at HMS for helping me obtain some of the data which appears in the spreadsheet.

In the meantime, here is the link to the PDF File of this Spreadsheet which you can link to without needing permissions. You can also print out the file from this location.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9XJ7_3iJeaNdTRhYi1LdmN3cUk/edit?usp=sharing

I hope you find this useful.

Regards,
Bill

Last edited:
This is great. It is particularly helpful since I may attempt to try using fishing line as strings. This gives me an idea of what gauges to try.

Thanks,
Bill

good job, Bill! :shaka:

You will notice that the string length is not always available. Not all manufacturers give this information on their sites. For any of the strings missing this data, if any of you want to measure your strings before installation and forward the information to me, I will add it to the spreadsheet.

Regards,
Bill

Nicely done. Can you add Aquila Red?

E

Aquila Red is one of the string sets that I could find no data on. I tried contacting Aquila with no success. If anyone knows where I can obtain data on these strings, please contact me and I will add them to the sheet.

Regards,
Bill

Recently on one of the many threads about ukulele strings, a spreadsheet comparing string manufacturers and types was mentioned. It does not seem to be available to the forum anymore.

I have created a new spreadsheet which compares many of the most popular ukulele strings on the market showing data collected from the manufacturers web sites etc. It includes , in many cases, the string composition, string diameters and string tensions in Metric and Imperial units for Soprano, Concert. Tenor and Baritone tuning. Not all manufacturers provide string tension data as the spreadsheet shows. Unavailable data is recorded as "NA".

String choice is subjective. What you hear with a particular string set on your particular ukulele may not be what another player hears. In order to obtain the perfect sound for you and your ukulele, you will have to try different sets. Hopefully this spreadsheet will assist you in selecting string sets to try.

There are still some brands of strings that are not included, and I am trying to find the required specifications to include them. I will update it as the information comes available. I you have information on other strings that could be included, or suggestions, please contact me or reply to this thread.

My thanks to Andrew at HMS for helping me obtain some of the data which appears in the spreadsheet.

In the meantime, here is the link to the PDF File of this Spreadsheet which you can link to without needing permissions. You can also print out the file from this location.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9XJ7_3iJeaNdTRhYi1LdmN3cUk/edit?usp=sharing

I hope you find this useful.

Regards,
Bill

nice and very helpful but no baritone :/

This is incredible! I have members in our uke club who have questions about strings and this will be wonderful for them as well. Thank you so very much!!!

If you look across the row named Ukulele Scale, you will see that strings for baritone ukes are included where manufacturers provided the data.

Regards,
Bill

THANKS FOR THE STRING COMPARISON CHART;)

Martin Fluorocarbon M600 Soprano/Concert @ 30 pounds string tension per string??? 120 pounds total??? Is this a typo?
Seems like 30 pounds are for all 4 strings since the Aquila Soprano Nylgut are 29.3 pounds for all 4 strings.

Last edited:
THANKS FOR THE STRING COMPARISON CHART;)

Martin Fluorocarbon M600 Soprano/Concert @ 30 pounds string tension per string??? 120 pounds total??? Is this a typo?
Seems like 30 pounds are for all 4 strings since the Aquila Soprano Nylgut are 29.3 pounds for all 4 strings.

Yes, you are of course correct. Martin publishes the set tension rather than individual string tensions on their website. I have altered the spreadsheet to make it clearer that it is a "set" tension. Thanks for that, I appreciate the second set of eyes.

Regards,
Bill

Thanks for the spreadsheet. I recently posted a thread about concerns I had with the tension of the D'Addario T2s on my uke. Looking at you spreadsheet I see the T2s have less tension than the stock Aquilas. Very helpful. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi CJay,

It is interesting to see how tension and string diameter plays out on this spreadsheet. I tried a set of D'Addario J-71 strings and found they hurt my fingers and had a lot of tension. Another set, D'Addario EJ87T's I tried were much easier on the fingers but had slightly higher tension values and slightly larger string diameters on certain strings. The EJ87T strings are Dense Monofilament while the J71's are Nylon. The combination of tension and string diameter and string composition can play out in many different ways.

Once again, string choice boils down to individual preference and is subjective, but a set of specifications helps with choices.

Regards,
Bill

Last edited:
Just yesterday I decided to change the original Aquila strings on my tenor Gretsch G9121 A.C.E. because I was not getting much sustain or projection. I had a set of GHS black nylon with a wound C aluminum. They're heavier than the Aquilas, but still don't have sustain and presence. So far I've liked the sound of fluorocarbon Worth CT clears I put on a couple of my other ukes.

Top Bottom