Strings Ukulele String Comparisons Spreadsheet

Ukulele String Comparison Spreadsheet. Aquila Nylgut has a specific density and acoustical qualities nearly identical to that of gut, and is the first truly.

Does anyone have a copy of the spreadsheet? It shows "in owner's trash" and cannot be viewed from the link.

Thanks for re-posting that. Also, I don't know if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but I think the Martin string diameters are listed backwards.

Yes, for a long time Martin had them reversed on the packaging. I think they have corrected that.

Yes, for a long time Martin had them reversed on the packaging. I think they have corrected that.

Yeah, I do remember that. All the current packs I've bought for a while have had them listed correctly.

This is great. It is particularly helpful since I may attempt to try using fishing line as strings. This gives me an idea of what gauges to try.

Thanks,
Bill
Don't sell yourself short George Hinchcliff founder of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain uses fishing ling on his uke

I think that there is also a more recent sheet with calculated tensions for a large number of strings. This may have been compiled last year or not much before that. A comparison may be useful.

bump. Took some time to find. This hard work deserves a sticky somewhere?
It's pinned to the top of the buying tips forum

Recently on one of the many threads about ukulele strings, a spreadsheet comparing string manufacturers and types was mentioned. It does not seem to be available to the forum anymore.

I have created a new spreadsheet which compares many of the most popular ukulele strings on the market showing data collected from the manufacturers web sites etc. It includes , in many cases, the string composition, string diameters and string tensions in Metric and Imperial units for Soprano, Concert. Tenor and Baritone tuning. Not all manufacturers provide string tension data as the spreadsheet shows. Unavailable data is recorded as "NA".

String choice is subjective. What you hear with a particular string set on your particular ukulele may not be what another player hears. In order to obtain the perfect sound for you and your ukulele, you will have to try different sets. Hopefully this spreadsheet will assist you in selecting string sets to try.

There are still some brands of strings that are not included, and I am trying to find the required specifications to include them. I will update it as the information comes available. I you have information on other strings that could be included, or suggestions, please contact me or reply to this thread.

My thanks to Andrew at HMS for helping me obtain some of the data which appears in the spreadsheet.

In the meantime, here is the link to the PDF File of this Spreadsheet which you can link to without needing permissions. You can also print out the file from this location.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9XJ7_3iJeaNdTRhYi1LdmN3cUk/edit?usp=sharing

I hope you find this useful.

Regards,
Bill
Bill,
Though I appreciate your doing this, I'm unable to access the file. The message I get from Google Chrome is, "Sorry, the file you have requested does not exist." Are you able to reply with an updated link?

Top Bottom