• Keep the FB account

7 33.33%
  • There are better sites to meet your goals

4 19.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Facebook

Default Facebook

I created a Facebook account for our band named The Charleston Hot Shots. Basically I just wanted to have a FB link to our web site by the same name. The site has a 200 + "Friends".

I am guessing 96% of the friends I've never met and a good 90% have never seen us perform but I get status changes, birthday notices, etc. in my email for them. If I go to our FB site news feed it consists of political rants, uplifting quotes of the day (fine, but one person posted 5-10'a day had postings from all hours pm through 2am, 4am,etc.), folks complaining about stuff, nothing uke or music related.

Then I get friend requests from realtors, salesman, folks with an agenda/ax to grind, people who have 3000 friends,etc I have to go and read their site to decide whether to friend them (if your site has a pic of a uke or you holding a uke you could be an axe murdering, salesman, wanting to overthrow the govt, you are automatically in.)

So I don't think the site is worth the overhead to maintain. Maybe it is just a setup issue. The goal is to push folks to the website and make it easy for folks to find us if they need a uke band.

On top of this I saw some videos on YouTube how intrusive FB is and I personally hate the user interface.

What should I do? Are there better sites that will accomplish what I want to do? Will robots come in the middle of the night and take me away?
    Last edited by Ukuleleblues; 06-08-2014 at 05:51 AM.

I don't know much about this, but I think you need a Facebook "Page", not a FB "Profile". My understanding is that a Page is set up more for businesses, public figures, etc...you have no friends on a Page, just followers. I think that should eliminate most of your problems. That being said, I don't have any direct experience with a Page.

Quote Originally Posted by gouacats View Post
    I don't know much about this, but I think you need a Facebook "Page", not a FB "Profile". My understanding is that a Page is set up more for businesses, public figures, etc...you have no friends on a Page, just followers. I think that should eliminate most of your problems. That being said, I don't have any direct experience with a Page.
    Thank you! Does anyone know if with a page account if I can post to another page, I have the same FB issue with our uke club. I post to the local cafe we play at on their page when we are going to play as a reminder and then thank them and compliment their food after we play. Will a page account allow me to still do that? Anyone know as this seems to be the solution.

Rather than a FB account, you might consider creating a FB "page" that people would "like" instead of "friend".

For instance here is the page for The Folk Project, an organization I belong to.

https://www.facebook.com/FolkProject?ref=ts&fref=ts

Once you have created a page for your band you can fill it with photos and videos and add a history of the band, etc...

You can also creat separate "events" for your gigs. Here is the Folk Project event page for our upcoming Uke fest in late August.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1508465692709817/?ref=5

Scooter
    Tenor Koa Fluke (rosewood fretboard, Pegheds)
    Concert Tie-Dye Flea (rosewood fretboard, Lucy's tuners)
    Soprano Firefly (walnut fretboard, Pegheds)
    Late 40's Martin Style 1 soprano
    Concert Oscar Schmidt Mousekulele
    Tenor Mainland Mahogany Slothead
    Concert Eddy Finn Moon and Stars

"The way I see it as soon as a baby is born, he should be issued a Ukulele."
    ~Linus Van Pelt~

As administrator of a Page, you can post and comment as that Page on other businesses' pages.

The one downside of using a page is that Facebook wants you to pay for the privilege of advertising to your followers, so they aggressively filter the statuses of pages unless you pay to "boost" the post. Typically, if I make a status update on my page, fewer than 10% of my followers will see that post, unless people start liking and sharing it, increasing the visibility.

Moreover, you should review your notification settings - you don't need to be getting emails for everything.
    Last edited by KoaDependent; 06-08-2014 at 06:17 AM.
    Lanikai SMP-TCA Monkeypod Tenor * RISA Uke-Solid Tenor * Kala KA-TG tenor * Ken Timms Style 0 Soprano * Ohana SK-38 Soprano * Mainland Honeybee Soprano * 1930's KlearTone banjolele
    1920's Favilla soprano * 1920's Criterion birch soprano * Makala Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Ukuleleblues View Post
    Thank you! Does anyone know if with a page account if I can post to another page, I have the same FB issue with our uke club. I post to the local cafe we play at on their page when we are going to play as a reminder and then thank them and compliment their food after we play. Will a page account allow me to still do that? Anyone know as this seems to be the solution.
    Yes, a page can post to other pages, as well as people's timelines. You can also "share" your events to other pages and individuals' timelines.

Scooter
    Tenor Koa Fluke (rosewood fretboard, Pegheds)
    Concert Tie-Dye Flea (rosewood fretboard, Lucy's tuners)
    Soprano Firefly (walnut fretboard, Pegheds)
    Late 40's Martin Style 1 soprano
    Concert Oscar Schmidt Mousekulele
    Tenor Mainland Mahogany Slothead
    Concert Eddy Finn Moon and Stars

"The way I see it as soon as a baby is born, he should be issued a Ukulele."
    ~Linus Van Pelt~

I voted "keep the FB account" but only because your keeping the account will help me reach my goal of being the only human being on the planet without a facebook account!

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

Quote Originally Posted by OldePhart View Post
    I voted "keep the FB account" but only because your keeping the account will help me reach my goal of being the only human being on the planet without a facebook account!

John
    Wanna start a club? I don't have one either. Unless they start delivering my paychecks via FB, I never will.
    I read somewhere that 77% of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23% who are apparently doing quite well for themselves.

~Jerry Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by UncleMoon View Post
    Wanna start a club? I don't have one either. Unless they start delivering my paychecks via FB, I never will.
    The club has now swollen to three members, no FB for me either.So many people have tried to get me to join, no thank you, no way no how.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    The club has now swollen to three members, no FB for me either.So many people have tried to get me to join, no thank you, no way no how.
    I'm not so sure we should be discussing a swollen club in polite company, but hey - Welcome Aboard!
    I read somewhere that 77% of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23% who are apparently doing quite well for themselves.

~Jerry Garcia

Thread Information