Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 192

Thread: Detailed info about Bruce Wei Arts Vietnam ukes on eBay

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong / Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
    I'm getting the impression that Brucewei has become EVERYONES favourite whipping boy. First things first. Its the seller Inlaidartist who has a really bad reputation. Brucewei's reputation isn't that bad and while his instruments are not perfect I think he's being hammered for faults that you ignore on other, more expensive instruments.

    After a while of biting your lip and not criticising other instruments you take your frustration out on Brucewei.

    Now I'm not claiming that they are perfect and that I haven't had my own issues. Its just that I've seen exactly the same faults on other, more expensive instruments which people ignore or even if the faults are mentioned people still recommend them anyway.

    I've had/seen Kala, Gretsch, Lanikai, Cole Clark and Koaloa ukulele's with the saddle incorrectly placed and therefore suffering from poor intonation. I've seen Gretsch and other mainstream brand instruments in shops with seriously warped necks. I've measured various instruments up in shops and the nuts weren't in the right place.

    Sure, many of these instruments were made from kiln dried timber and they sounded harsh and brittle because of it.

    As usual a LOT of complaints come from people who haven't bought a Brucewei themselves.
    Now as I said. I'm not personally going to buy an $800 ukulele from Brucewei. I will spend the money with a local luthier first but again some of the comments on this thread are getting out of hand.

    Anthony
    Yes every brand / builder do have bad cases, no perfect in the world. But please consider, if there is 2 of 10 buyers complaint on brand A, and 6 of 10 buyers complaint on brand B. Will you say brand B is just doing the same as brand A, so they should share the same level of recommendations.

    Please do not take these as offended. I understand you have positive experience like to share, then others have heard bad things and like to remind, before its too late. To take the advise or not, its subjective.

    But as my previous post said, we do not want to be silent and regret not telling something we know we should warn.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by consitter View Post
    Actually, it's because we care. Your last endeavor, while not a debacle, but by your own admittance, fell short of your expectations.
    Bingo! I was part of the Alida group, and am very happy with the outcome. It was an interesting experience and I now have a really fun and highly playable uke for several hundred dollars less than a comparable one. But, from the very beginning, I knew that I might be flushing $200 down the toilet. This, if anything, encouraged me to enjoy the experience even more, and made the payoff even better.

    Of course, another way to look at the very same experience would be to say "It's not as good as a Kamoa, and there is stain missing on the sound hole". This is also factually correct, but results in less satisfaction.

    In this case, it seems like there are two things pushing your expectations higher - correspondence with Bruce Wei and the high price. Although the first might be a valid expectation indicator, the second probably encourages higher expectations, which may not be met.

    If the $800 will not magnify any disappointment, or set your expectations too high (it isn't going to be a Collings), you should go for it. If not, maybe you are setting yourself up for a fall.

    Yours as a caring comrade.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Posts
    64

    Default

    I wish they were sold by some other means than eBay auction. I was planning to buy a certain design one time, but by the time I had the money he no longer had any of them up for auction.
    Walden

    Ukulele List: ♦ Kala Soprano ♦ Kohala Concert Koa ♦ Makala Pineapple Soprano
    ♦ Kaka (not Kala) Soprano Watermelon ♦ Shoenhut "Flake"
    ♦ Dixie Solid Aluminum Banjo Ukulele ♦ Rally Soprano Banjo Ukulele ♦ et cetera

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Central IL & Fox Valley, IL
    Posts
    7,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    I wish they were sold by some other means than eBay auction. I was planning to buy a certain design one time, but by the time I had the money he no longer had any of them up for auction.
    He'll build you a custom at any time. Or the kids in his sweatshop will, I should say.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Sumter County, FL
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    Buying blind domestically always brings with it a certain amount of Caveat Emptor risk. Buying blind internationally magnifies the risk, especially if any warranty service requires shipping the warranted item back to the international source. The risk gets even greater when any recourse for vendor failure must be through foreign courts or administrative agencies. The risk becomes abominable when local Customs Service may refuse admission of the item because the item is suspected to contain prohibited substances.

    Have not previously dealt with Vietnam-based instrument-makers, mainly because of negative reviews on other forums. Would much rather deal with makers which are positioned to honor warranties without my having to return- ship the item internationally. There are a lot of good international makers in the world who have already established themselves within my domestic marketplace regarding Customs regulations, warranty service and overall customer relations. I'm sure that, in time, there will be Vietnam-based instrument makers established in my domestic narket, just as Chinese, Indonesean and Filipino have so evolved. However, until that happens, I plan to abstain from Vietnam-based instruments.

    Now, that's just me. I admit to being old and curmudgeony. Anyone who wants to experiment with Vietnam-based instruments may be doing all of us a future service, as Vietnam may become the next instrument low-price mass-producer, replacing China just as China replaced Korea and Japan. Many of us have expressed our reservations regarding Vietnam-based instrument purchases, and the reservations have been made in good faith. If the thread's originator chooses to still go ahead, it's his choice and I wish him well. I also hope he shares his experiences as they may affect some future purchase of mine. I thank him for originating this thread and making me think about this subject more than I may have otherwise.
    ...SteveZ

    Ukuleles: Martin T1K (T)*, Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)**
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T)*, Lanikai LB6-S (S)*
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)***

    Tuning: *Reentrant C CGDA. **DAEB. ***GDAE. The rest are CGDA

    The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Queanbeyan, NSW Australia.
    Posts
    1,801

    Default

    And yet AGAIN, someone who has never dealt with Brucewei weighs in with their opinion. Brucewei backs his instruments and will offer refunds if they are faulty.

    This is getting old folks.

    Anthony

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Colfax, CA
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
    And yet AGAIN, someone who has never dealt with Brucewei weighs in with their opinion. Brucewei backs his instruments and will offer refunds if they are faulty.

    This is getting old folks.

    Anthony
    I would think that bad purchase outcomes from folks who have purchased Wei instruments for many years is pretty old, too. I don't understand how you apparently choose to ignore real purchase history reports simply because you are satisfied with your purchases.

    The preceding post that seems to have prompted your lament of a comment from someone who has not purchased from Wei stands out in my view as one of the most cogent statements about buying sight unseen. Nobody needs to either get burned or be happy about Wei's business practice in order to express an opinion about the risk of paying for something simply on faith.
    MP Mango Cedar Tenor
    Pono ATDC Acacia Cutaway Tenor
    Pono TE-2 Chambered Acacia Spruce Tenor
    Dupont D Hole Koa Spruce Cutaway Tenor

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    DFW, TX, USA
    Posts
    8,342

    Default

    Okay, I have to step back in again in spite of trying very hard not to become a regular in this thread. The one thing I've noticed is that those who sing the praises of questionable instruments seem to have one thing in common...we never seem to see videos from them backing up their claims to this or that being a great instrument. There may be a few exceptions but I check the videos forum pretty regularly and I can't think of any off the top of my head.

    If you want to sing the praises of any maker then quit "running your mouth" and get out there and post some vids so we can judge for ourselves; not only the instrument in question but your ability/experience to even evaluate an instrument! (The preceding sentence and the following paragraphs are NOT directed at any particular member, just a general comment to all that one should "put up or shut up" so to speak.)

    I remember seeing a youtube video a few years ago of a young lady just going on and on about how lovely her new Kiwaya was because it had a compensated bridge saddle and therefore superior intonation. She never really played it, just talked it up. Some sharp-eyed viewer (not me) noticed and commented on the fact that when she had changed strings she had turned the bridge saddle 'round backwards, thus making the intonation poorer than normal rather than better.

    Over and over I see people give the excuse that "well, my playing is not good enough to post a video yet" and then they go on to sing the praises of some instrument or maker. I've got news for y'all, if your playing is not good enough to post a video then how the heck can you have enough experience to evaluate the playability/tone/overall quality of an instrument???????????????????????????????????????? ??????

    I'm not saying I'm a great player...but when I make a claim I will back it up with video!

    John
    Last edited by OldePhart; 06-12-2014 at 02:56 PM.
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

    Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    152

    Default

    OldePhart


    Your post is abso freakin lutely true.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldePhart View Post
    Okay, I have to step back in again in spite of trying very hard not to become a regular in this thread. The one thing I've noticed is that those who sing the praises of questionable instruments seem to have one thing in common...we never seem to see videos from them backing up their claims to this or that being a great instrument. There may be a few exceptions but I check the videos forum pretty regularly and I can't think of any off the top of my head.

    If you want to sing the praises of any maker then quit "running your mouth" and get out there and post some vids so we can judge for ourselves; not only the instrument in question but your ability/experience to even evaluate an instrument! (The preceding sentence and the following paragraphs are NOT directed at any particular member, just a general comment to all that one should "put up or shut up" so to speak.)

    I remember seeing a youtube video a few years ago of a young lady just going on and on about how lovely her new Kiwaya was because it had a compensated bridge saddle and therefore superior intonation. She never really played it, just talked it up. Some sharp-eyed viewer (not me) noticed and commented on the fact that when she had changed strings she had turned the bridge saddle 'round backwards, thus making the intonation poorer than normal rather than better.

    Over and over I see people give the excuse that "well, my playing is not good enough to post a video yet" and then they go on to sing the praises of some instrument or maker. I've got news for y'all, if your playing is not good enough to post a video then how the heck can you have enough experience to evaluate the playability/tone/overall quality of an instrument???????????????????????????????????????? ??????

    I'm not saying I'm a great player...but when I make a claim I will back it up with video!

    John
    Right on John...
    Cheers!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •