Detailed info about Bruce Wei Arts Vietnam ukes on eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, this is the essence of all Bruce Wei threads on guitar, mandolin and uke sites. It stands to reason that someone who sells instruments from different builders is going to have a range of build and wood quality pass through his hands on the way to people who are thousands of miles away.

There are people who have bought Bruce Wei guitars who are satisfied with what they received. The same can be said for mandolins and ukes. But, what cannot be denied are the legions of reports from folks who have parted with real money only to receive instruments that they would not have given a second look to had they happened upon them in a shop.

In the early days, the complaints were that Wei was simply obtaining cheaply made instruments and hiring children to do inlay work. Some of the threads over the years have included photographs of kids working on Wei instruments (not just inlays, but actual construction, too).

As time went on, Wei found builders who could create instruments that reflected better build quality. I am sure that this is why we read reports from folks who stand by their Wei purchases. But, the fact that Wei has sold some instruments that are decent players does not obviate the long established history of unreliable instruments he has sold around the world. And, a large number of folks who have ended up with seriously subpar instruments never heard from Wei again. But, it is a big world with billions of people, many of whom discover a calling to play stringed instruments.

So called "natural free market" forces that are believed to cull out producers of inferior products don't work when there is a never ending supply of new customers who are interested in obtaining quality at "it looks too good to be true" prices. If someone lucks out, then Wei has someone who can sing his praises. Those who end up writing checks and receiving junk post threads that eventually fade into the ether and Wei continues to crank out his wares.

I share John's view that new folks deserve to have a balanced perspective when it comes to parting with their cash. In my view, buying a Wei instrument has always been a crap shoot. Some folks will win, but just like in Vegas, the house typically has the better odds.

Last edited:
I've been seeing a few posts lately about ukes bought from Bruce Wei Arts eBay auction site. After winning a tenor mandolele a few months ago (not very good), I found out some pertinent info directly from Bruce a couple of weeks ago while corresponding with him about making me a custom ukulele.

During our correspondence, I mentioned that I was disappointed with the mandolele I bought, thick top with dull sound (even with a string change), very poor binding seams, poor fret installation, the only nice thing is the color/finish. His response was that the U series ukes are not his construction, they are made by other builders and he allows them to be sold through his eBay site (but he does stand behind them). He concentrates on custom builds only.

The UTT series is what he calls "B" grade, simple bracing, heavy tops, whatever material is on hand, not a lot of attention to detail. The two letter U series are better construction, and higher priced. (The other letter series are apparently other builders of various qualities.) I asked if I could get a mandolele built better and he said he would do that himself in about 30 days.

I've posted this info in other threads, but thought I would do Bruce a service by clarifying things specifically. There have been a few posts from UU members who have Bruce's custom builds and they say they are very happy. So I'm going ahead and ordering the custom, a tenor gypsy jazz Django/Selmer Maccaferri "Grande Bouche" style uke, to be ready in about 60-70 days. The mandolele should be done in a couple of weeks (I'm adding the tailpiece shown and a preamp/pickup).

Gypsy custom 72.jpg

Mandolele mahogany.jpg

Just my personal taste but i like ,my ukuleles to be shaped like ukuleles in their traditional figure 8
or pinepple style bodies. I would def not want a ukulele designed to look like a mandolin, in that instance id just
get a mandolin (too bad i can't stand how they sound in most cases). The jazz guitar design is cool but i would
also not want that on a ukulele either.

Mike, you are absolutely correct that it is your money and your decision. The "problem" as I see it is that your enthusiasm can be mistaken for expertise by newcomers and we are trying to save both you and them some grief. You may have the spare cash to throw good money after bad, but many others simply don't...........

Okay, novel over. Whatever you decide I really hope that it does work out for you and you get the instrument of your dreams. I also hope that you will think about the impact on others who may see your post count and believe you are an expert...........

John

I agree. My biggest concern was all the mis-information posted because "Simon said so". That Simon guy was NOT telling the truth. We can all have different opinions and that is fine, but when posts are stating "facts" that have been proven to be false it presents a problem. New posters/players may not realize that.

Let's face it...based on this thread (and the other epic thread about Mr. Wei in the recent past), what would drive me away from buying a B Wei ukulele? His inconsistency, and the fact that I cannot play it before buying it (which becomes important because his return policy is in Vietnam).

This is close to what I think is the real problem with Wei instruments. Let's say he really does have other people build his lesser quality instruments. Even if his are far superior, they are still worth no more than the lowest end instrument sold under his name. One bad apple, you know.

I don't personally care much about resale value. But, I wouldn't spend 500 bucks for an instrument that was practically worthless (even if I could play it first).

I don't personally care much about resale value. But, I wouldn't spend 500 bucks for an instrument that was practically worthless (even if I could play it first).

Bingo! This pretty much hits the nail squarely on the head (and in far fewer words than I used).

I have said many times that I could care less about appearance, brand name, and reputation - if I can get great playability and tone from a fence post with barbed wire nailed to it then I'll happily play that - but I'm bloody well not going to pay a couple of days wages for it, either!

John

Guess I thought that I would get more support from the community rather than dissent. Will have to be more reserve in the future expressing my thoughts and actions.

Actually, it's because we care. Your last endeavor, while not a debacle, but by your own admittance, fell short of your expectations. You emailed the man in charge repeatedly, and kept your self informed.

We, as a group, just don't want you to either get gypped, or be disappointed once again. But you are correct, it's your money, and by seeing the collection of ukes you own, you have plenty of it. I apologize for offending you with my last post. I will leave you alone about it, because in truth, I don't know you at all, and I have WAY too many problems of my own to try to give somebody else advice.

Hi Mike, I bought two ukulele from Bruce. One I paid 60$, another one 200$. I bought them via ebay which is a good thing because Bruce does not want negative reviews and will then be more willing to refund you if you are not satisfied with the ukulele you got.

The first ukulele I bought ( the $200 one) had a warped neck when I got it. I had it repaired by a local luthier ($60) but it warped again within a month. It is unplayable. Luckily, I waited before posting my review on ebay and Bruce refunded me the full amount after I proved him the uke was unplayable. I was disapointed because the ukulele I had bought was beautiful, had a side soundport and the neck was great.

So, I thought perhaps it was badluck and then saw another ukulele I liked and paid $60. Upon reception, I was disapointed because the neck was buffy and not even close in term of finish quality of the former ukulele. I did not really like the ukulele but gave this time a positive review to Bruce because I had paid $60 for it. Guess what, a few weeks later, the ukulele was unplayable..again, a warped neck.. :-(.

Now, at that point, I thought that caring for a wood ukulele was a lot of work and was not willing to pay $$$ to buy a good one because I was afraid of the warping of the neck but thanks to Matt Dalhberg, my ukulele teacher, who told me he never had a ukulele with a warped neck. He said, I will enjoy playing much more with a great sounding ukulele and as mentioned in another post, the resale value of a high quality instrument is much better, therefore the risk was limited.

I was still not sure but finally decided to follow his advice and Ended up buying a Luis Feu De Mesquita and I love it!!

Now, I want to buy another one because I would like one strung with a low g but my wife says I already bought 3 ukulele and that I have too many...even though I tell her two of them are unplayable!!!

From time to time, I am still tempted on bidding on Bruce's ukulele but so far, I resisted the temptations, knowing that i lost the bid twice! I Hope that mandoline ends up being to your expectations!

Last edited:
Guess I thought that I would get more support from the community rather than dissent. Will have to be more reserve in the future expressing my thoughts and actions.

Sorry you feel that way. You've got my support. I get that you found a builder who can make you a great instrument at a reasonable price. I know he can. I simply find it too scary for me. I admire your faith in your builder. It's all good.

That being said, I think we all expect a serious review of your instrument when it arrives. Let us know we might order from Mr Wei with your kind of confidence, and we all benefit.

I see the community on UU is caring other members as brothers & sisters. Otherwise, they wouldn't even bother to type so many words and spend so much time.

I understand you may feel bad, but the truth always not nice to hear. And it ONLY come from the people who truly care (care of you, me, other beginners, and all members here).

The conflict point is. You have been told something, that is opposite to what the community heard in the past.

We truly wish you get a great deal. And looking forward your happy result.

But we also do concern. Not just being cold blood, standing aside and watch how you to be disappointed. Watch other beginners to read and follow your thread, let them to be disappointed too. Then we regret we have been silent.

Last edited:
I'm getting the impression that Brucewei has become EVERYONES favourite whipping boy. First things first. Its the seller Inlaidartist who has a really bad reputation. Brucewei's reputation isn't that bad and while his instruments are not perfect I think he's being hammered for faults that you ignore on other, more expensive instruments.

After a while of biting your lip and not criticising other instruments you take your frustration out on Brucewei.

Now I'm not claiming that they are perfect and that I haven't had my own issues. Its just that I've seen exactly the same faults on other, more expensive instruments which people ignore or even if the faults are mentioned people still recommend them anyway.

I've had/seen Kala, Gretsch, Lanikai, Cole Clark and Koaloa ukulele's with the saddle incorrectly placed and therefore suffering from poor intonation. I've seen Gretsch and other mainstream brand instruments in shops with seriously warped necks. I've measured various instruments up in shops and the nuts weren't in the right place.

Sure, many of these instruments were made from kiln dried timber and they sounded harsh and brittle because of it.

As usual a LOT of complaints come from people who haven't bought a Brucewei themselves.
Now as I said. I'm not personally going to buy an $800 ukulele from Brucewei. I will spend the money with a local luthier first but again some of the comments on this thread are getting out of hand.

Anthony

I'm getting the impression that Brucewei has become EVERYONES favourite whipping boy. First things first. Its the seller Inlaidartist who has a really bad reputation. Brucewei's reputation isn't that bad and while his instruments are not perfect I think he's being hammered for faults that you ignore on other, more expensive instruments.

After a while of biting your lip and not criticising other instruments you take your frustration out on Brucewei.

Now I'm not claiming that they are perfect and that I haven't had my own issues. Its just that I've seen exactly the same faults on other, more expensive instruments which people ignore or even if the faults are mentioned people still recommend them anyway.

I've had/seen Kala, Gretsch, Lanikai, Cole Clark and Koaloa ukulele's with the saddle incorrectly placed and therefore suffering from poor intonation. I've seen Gretsch and other mainstream brand instruments in shops with seriously warped necks. I've measured various instruments up in shops and the nuts weren't in the right place.

Sure, many of these instruments were made from kiln dried timber and they sounded harsh and brittle because of it.

As usual a LOT of complaints come from people who haven't bought a Brucewei themselves.
Now as I said. I'm not personally going to buy an $800 ukulele from Brucewei. I will spend the money with a local luthier first but again some of the comments on this thread are getting out of hand.

Anthony
Yes every brand / builder do have bad cases, no perfect in the world. But please consider, if there is 2 of 10 buyers complaint on brand A, and 6 of 10 buyers complaint on brand B. Will you say brand B is just doing the same as brand A, so they should share the same level of recommendations.

Please do not take these as offended. I understand you have positive experience like to share, then others have heard bad things and like to remind, before its too late. To take the advise or not, its subjective.

But as my previous post said, we do not want to be silent and regret not telling something we know we should warn.

Actually, it's because we care. Your last endeavor, while not a debacle, but by your own admittance, fell short of your expectations.

Bingo! I was part of the Alida group, and am very happy with the outcome. It was an interesting experience and I now have a really fun and highly playable uke for several hundred dollars less than a comparable one. But, from the very beginning, I knew that I might be flushing $200 down the toilet. This, if anything, encouraged me to enjoy the experience even more, and made the payoff even better.

Of course, another way to look at the very same experience would be to say "It's not as good as a Kamoa, and there is stain missing on the sound hole". This is also factually correct, but results in less satisfaction.

In this case, it seems like there are two things pushing your expectations higher - correspondence with Bruce Wei and the high price. Although the first might be a valid expectation indicator, the second probably encourages higher expectations, which may not be met.

If the $800 will not magnify any disappointment, or set your expectations too high (it isn't going to be a Collings), you should go for it. If not, maybe you are setting yourself up for a fall.

Yours as a caring comrade.

I wish they were sold by some other means than eBay auction. I was planning to buy a certain design one time, but by the time I had the money he no longer had any of them up for auction.

Buying blind domestically always brings with it a certain amount of Caveat Emptor risk. Buying blind internationally magnifies the risk, especially if any warranty service requires shipping the warranted item back to the international source. The risk gets even greater when any recourse for vendor failure must be through foreign courts or administrative agencies. The risk becomes abominable when local Customs Service may refuse admission of the item because the item is suspected to contain prohibited substances.

Have not previously dealt with Vietnam-based instrument-makers, mainly because of negative reviews on other forums. Would much rather deal with makers which are positioned to honor warranties without my having to return- ship the item internationally. There are a lot of good international makers in the world who have already established themselves within my domestic marketplace regarding Customs regulations, warranty service and overall customer relations. I'm sure that, in time, there will be Vietnam-based instrument makers established in my domestic narket, just as Chinese, Indonesean and Filipino have so evolved. However, until that happens, I plan to abstain from Vietnam-based instruments.

Now, that's just me. I admit to being old and curmudgeony. Anyone who wants to experiment with Vietnam-based instruments may be doing all of us a future service, as Vietnam may become the next instrument low-price mass-producer, replacing China just as China replaced Korea and Japan. Many of us have expressed our reservations regarding Vietnam-based instrument purchases, and the reservations have been made in good faith. If the thread's originator chooses to still go ahead, it's his choice and I wish him well. I also hope he shares his experiences as they may affect some future purchase of mine. I thank him for originating this thread and making me think about this subject more than I may have otherwise.

And yet AGAIN, someone who has never dealt with Brucewei weighs in with their opinion. Brucewei backs his instruments and will offer refunds if they are faulty.

This is getting old folks.

Anthony

And yet AGAIN, someone who has never dealt with Brucewei weighs in with their opinion. Brucewei backs his instruments and will offer refunds if they are faulty.

This is getting old folks.

Anthony

I would think that bad purchase outcomes from folks who have purchased Wei instruments for many years is pretty old, too. I don't understand how you apparently choose to ignore real purchase history reports simply because you are satisfied with your purchases.

The preceding post that seems to have prompted your lament of a comment from someone who has not purchased from Wei stands out in my view as one of the most cogent statements about buying sight unseen. Nobody needs to either get burned or be happy about Wei's business practice in order to express an opinion about the risk of paying for something simply on faith.

Okay, I have to step back in again in spite of trying very hard not to become a regular in this thread. The one thing I've noticed is that those who sing the praises of questionable instruments seem to have one thing in common...we never seem to see videos from them backing up their claims to this or that being a great instrument. There may be a few exceptions but I check the videos forum pretty regularly and I can't think of any off the top of my head.

If you want to sing the praises of any maker then quit "running your mouth" and get out there and post some vids so we can judge for ourselves; not only the instrument in question but your ability/experience to even evaluate an instrument! (The preceding sentence and the following paragraphs are NOT directed at any particular member, just a general comment to all that one should "put up or shut up" so to speak.)

I remember seeing a youtube video a few years ago of a young lady just going on and on about how lovely her new Kiwaya was because it had a compensated bridge saddle and therefore superior intonation. She never really played it, just talked it up. Some sharp-eyed viewer (not me) noticed and commented on the fact that when she had changed strings she had turned the bridge saddle 'round backwards, thus making the intonation poorer than normal rather than better.

Over and over I see people give the excuse that "well, my playing is not good enough to post a video yet" and then they go on to sing the praises of some instrument or maker. I've got news for y'all, if your playing is not good enough to post a video then how the heck can you have enough experience to evaluate the playability/tone/overall quality of an instrument??????????????????????????????????????????????

I'm not saying I'm a great player...but when I make a claim I will back it up with video!

John

Last edited:
Okay, I have to step back in again in spite of trying very hard not to become a regular in this thread. The one thing I've noticed is that those who sing the praises of questionable instruments seem to have one thing in common...we never seem to see videos from them backing up their claims to this or that being a great instrument. There may be a few exceptions but I check the videos forum pretty regularly and I can't think of any off the top of my head.

If you want to sing the praises of any maker then quit "running your mouth" and get out there and post some vids so we can judge for ourselves; not only the instrument in question but your ability/experience to even evaluate an instrument! (The preceding sentence and the following paragraphs are NOT directed at any particular member, just a general comment to all that one should "put up or shut up" so to speak.)

I remember seeing a youtube video a few years ago of a young lady just going on and on about how lovely her new Kiwaya was because it had a compensated bridge saddle and therefore superior intonation. She never really played it, just talked it up. Some sharp-eyed viewer (not me) noticed and commented on the fact that when she had changed strings she had turned the bridge saddle 'round backwards, thus making the intonation poorer than normal rather than better.

Over and over I see people give the excuse that "well, my playing is not good enough to post a video yet" and then they go on to sing the praises of some instrument or maker. I've got news for y'all, if your playing is not good enough to post a video then how the heck can you have enough experience to evaluate the playability/tone/overall quality of an instrument??????????????????????????????????????????????

I'm not saying I'm a great player...but when I make a claim I will back it up with video!

John
Right on John...
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom