Resting Pinky on body while finger picking

heyitsamike

Reaction score
hey guys i just wanted to see how many of your kind of anchor your pinky against the body of your uke while finger picking? is this a bad habit? how do i over come it?

I do it all the time. Well....not all the time, but most of the time. I get better control. There are certain techniques that demand some type of anchoring -- tremolo for one.

Not everybody does it, but it's quite useful.

I do it, because that's how I was taught way back when. But I've recently noticed others who don't do it, and who use their pinky to play instead, and they seem to have a bit more... freedom? than us pinky-anchorers. So I'd recommend playing with, and without, anchoring, to see which works better. As for me - old dog, new tricks, etc., I suspect I'll always be a pinky-anchorer!

I hope it's not a terrible bad habit, bcuz I do it frequently. As a retired dentist, I have to say that using a finger rest to stabilize your operating hand is recommended. When I was drilling, using a hand instrument or scalpel, I always used my middle or ring finger planted to stabilize my hand. This has translated over to my uke playing and I just naturally do it when I'm picking. I'm just a beginner picking though, and if this is a terrible habit, I will try to stop. More experienced players, please advise.

Last edited:
Coming from a background in classical guitar where anchoring the pinky on the soundboard is considered a big no-no, I don't do it. It actually restricts the movement of your other picking fingers.

But I've seen better players than me who do it. I've also seen people who pick with just their thumb, or their thumb and index finger, which I find limiting compared to using the thumb and index, middle and ring fingers.

When your hand floats just barely above the strings and you can pluck them from a good angle with little effort, playing will be easier.

This "economy of motion" applies to both hands. The less your hands/fingers have to move up and down to get where they need to be, the better.

My favorite CG player, John Williams, is a master of this "economy of motion." Watch both of his hands in the video below. His fingers never move more than they have to. He makes it look pretty effortless. :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPfZVflJdp0

You're new, learn to overcome the temptation to anchor that finger. Avoid it, you'll be the better for it in the long run. If only to consider the dynamics of how your hand works, and depending on how much you practice, you may avoid tendon issues as a bonus. This is not to say that everyone that anchors is incorrect, a somehow "lesser" player than the one that doesn't. But again, if you are just starting, it would not be a bad idea to avoid planting the finger.

I have yet to hear any anecdotes of someone in the habit of having a free hand over the years extolling the benefits gained by reverting to planting the pinky, but many stories of the opposite. Anyone here fingerpicked for years without anchoring revert to planting?

I sometimes anchor my ring finger on the top, (almost never) but I haven't ever done it with the pinky.

Is there really a right way? Perhaps. IMHO there is no right or wrong way...its all in the eye of the beholder. My 2 cents, do whatever is comfortable for you. Do you always use your thumb, index, middle and ring finger always? Is that the only right way to do finger picking? Again...perhaps, but you can do a lot with just your thumb and index finger picking melody. Take a close look at how Kimo Hussey plays. Again, do whatever feels right and don't fret too much.

I...More experienced players, please advise.

There are all kinds of ways to fingerpick. You must do what works best for YOU. That being said, my teacher doesn't rip me for anchoring. And like I said earlier, there are "tricks" where you need that pinky anchored. Also, different songs, chords, picking patterns may call for different positions and fingerings, etc. don't worry about it. You gotta do what works best for you.

Nothing to do with anchoring...just a comment -- my teacher wants me to tremolo using my thumb. I was resistant, but to surprise him I worked on it for weeks. Guess what? I tremolo a lot better with my pointer finger. It works better for ME. Besides, if it's good enough for Troy Fernandez, it's good enough for me. Whatever works is my point.

I learned finger picking myself playing folk guitar and anchored my pinky without even realizing there was an alternative. Then I tried to learn classical guitar and learned that anchoring the pinky was a big no-no. I have never been able to entirely break the habit and tend to anchor my pinky on the uke, but it does restrict movement and cause my hand to cramp. I think it's better to learn from the start not to do it, but I do it and I guess i can play however I want.

I've been trying to un-anchor my pinky with limited success, mostly because I feel it deadens the sound from the top a bit. The comments about limiting mobility in the rest of the picking fingers seem right too..
But it's sure hard to hit all the right strings without it!

You must do what works best for YOU. That being said, my teacher doesn't rip me for anchoring.

I'm a big fan of the "do what works best for you" approach. And my instructor doesn't either, but then he does it himself sometimes - the main difference being he can switch between anchoring and not anchoring without even thinking about it, and when I try not to do the anchoring bit it's like I completely lose all ability to play.

If Corey can play with his pinky on the top or side of the uke...that is good enough for me....
right or wrong it is about what is best for each person....IMO :)

http://vimeo.com/95918399

The old Pinky Planting Controversy rears its head again...

With classical instruments (including guitar), classical technique is very much a part of the package. As with classical dance, you must execute the technique as mandated. No questions asked.

With folk instruments, it's a do what works for you situation. There will be plenty of pseudo-scientific explanations regarding the inherent superiority of one technique or another, but you should keep a bucket of salt grains handy when they arise.

Personally, I'm a planter when I flat pick and a floater when I finger pick. Works for me... Might not work for you.

I never used to plant the pinky until I started doing a lot of fast finger rolls. When I'm doing the fast finger rolls my "dancing" thumb and two fingers make my hand bob up and down - when I plant the pinky it stops this and improves my precision; I can "roll" about twice as fast.

John

I never used to plant the pinky until I started doing a lot of fast finger rolls. When I'm doing the fast finger rolls my "dancing" thumb and two fingers make my hand bob up and down - when I plant the pinky it stops this and improves my precision; I can "roll" about twice as fast.

John

As do Scruggs Roll style banjo players ...........they plant the pinky and then there is much discussion as to the ringy ...should it float or be planted...sheesh.....
I'm going to get an instrument you blow.....

I like the whatever-works philosophy. I am trying to learn a four-finger tremolo, so I actually need that pinkie unplanted sometimes; plus I came from classical guitars, and even though I was not nailed into classical pedagogy, I got used to not putting the little finger down. If guys like Corey and Jake do it? It's probably not much of an impediment to one's progress ....

I did this naturally also, but my ukulele teacher said if I wanted it wasn't too late to try to do it without and this would give me more freedom later... but he let me decide. I decided to not plant my pinky, I think it would be easier to switching to doing it then switching to not doing it. He actually told me to learn to play both ways it would give me the most options.

This also applies to finger style. I can use 4 fingers, and sometimes I use 3 (thumb on top two strings) depending on what I am playing.

The important thing is ..the REALLY important thing is....no matter how you do it ...just play it .

Top Bottom