Made a Strap For My Fluke :)

mssnrygrl

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I thought this might help other Fluke players (and maybe lead to a discussion that could further improve the design), so I wrote a blog post. Enjoy. :)

IMG_2267.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting. The simpler clothesline one would probably scratch the finish over time, but it is simple. Its really a shame the fluke doesn't have a hook on the heel like the flea does. But I guess one could hide a strap button there and take the lanyard approach...

I bought a leash and then attached a strip of velcro at an angle on the bottom of my Fluke and the other piece on the leash and attach them. It works absolutely perfectly and never comes apart. It was a very easy thing to make and you don't need a leash. Any homemade strap would work. BTW it looks really nice too and without string all over the place.

I know many people are reluctant to do this, but I've installed strap buttons on all my ukes, you then have a great variety of straps to choose from, even the UkeLeash, which has a button attachment available.

In "real life" I do and teach upholstery. Hook and loop fasteners hold many things far more expensive than our ukuleles.
What is available in a fabric store is good enough for its intended purpose. Other upholsterers also know that commercial grade has a better grip and also a better adhesive. There is also a semi rigid where both sides have the hooks and there are no loops. One square inch would hold up a guitar. The dampening effect of your case going almost to the bridge seems excessive and restrictive. Would it be possible to have the bottom piece have two or three one inch straps come up an inch or inch and a half on the face and back sides and a single strap at the L corners? Then a .5 or .75 or 1.0 inch strap as a girth strap secured by a hook and loop closure? It would fit more securely than elastic, and yet be quickly removable when you so desire.

On all my ukuleles that have plastic bodies, I use the Velcro method, as Dominator writes about here.

CountryMouse

perfect! I like it!

Is there a spot to put the Velcro that works well but doesn't interfere with setting uke down on its bottom? Just wondering..my flea is my only strapless uke.

Is there a spot to put the Velcro that works well but doesn't interfere with setting uke down on its bottom? Just wondering..my flea is my only strapless uke.

I don't know, as I have the Velcro on the bottom. However, I keep my Fleas and Flukes in their gig bags. Sorry for being so unhelpful. :(

CountryMouse

Hello mssnrygrl,
Thank you for this thread. It gives me a few ideas. Speaking of ideas....my grandmother said "Find a girl who can cook and sew"
Regards.

Top Bottom