Ruined finish - Aaaarrrrggggg!

Habanera Hal

Reaction score
Just moved from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to Katy,Texas. Movers packed my ukes in bubble wrap, then into cardboard moving boxes. Due to problems with the buyers of the old house, we couldn't close on the new house when scheduled and all our possessions sat in a trailer for two weeks in the hot sun. Yetserday, I was able to get to my latest build, a curly mango tenor with ebony bindings that I was especially proud of, only to find the impression of the bubble wrap burned into the sides and back. I'm so upset I can't even bring myself to unwrap my other ukes yet.

All depends on the finish, I got my brand new uke just the same. I was freaking out, until the maker told me to relax and start with a very soft brushing with 0000 wire wool and lemon oil and finish off with lemon oil and baking soda rubbed on with my fingers. Worked like a charm and the big circles vanished. This was on a softer satin finish though. If you are gloss, i'm not sure what you can do. Good luck on getting the uke back into shape...

Same thing happened to a couple of ukes I sent to the US in a heatwave..Luckily it was FP finish and it was an easy fix.

You should be able to buff it out easily. I was on a trip recently and the uke I brought came in contact with some bug juice leaving a large, nastily marred area on the front and back of the lower bout. I did an emergency in the field repair by buffing it out with some toothpaste (baking soda kine) and a t-shirt. It wasn't high gloss but when I got home I took the buffing wheel to it and it's good as new.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll try to save it once I get my shop set up. The movers didn't even bring the full load as we were overweight by about 10,000 lbs! Waiting for second shipment this week. Of course it's all my tools, workbench, supplies, etc. I'd rather they had delivered all that first and waited on the furniture! Then the fun begins painting and decorating.

This move has been the most stressful event in my life, even more so than losing my parents. In a nutshell, the buyers of our house in Florida were not totally truthful about their creditworthiness and have had to find a new lender to underwrite their loan, so they haven't been able to close on the property. That means we can't close on this house yet (even though our credit is golden and we're putting a 50% downpayment). We are presently RENTING the new house from the sellers until we can close, which means we are in total limbo. This is going on almost three weeks after the original scheduled closing date. It's probably taken ten years off my life expectancy.

Top Bottom