Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60

Thread: GDAE tuning?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Sumter County, FL
    Posts
    1,524

    Default GDAE tuning?

    Anyone else tune their soprano and concert (or other) ukuleles GDAE?

    Since I already had my mandolins, tenor guitar and tenor banjo tuned GDAE, it just seemed logical to do the same with the ukuleles. It definitely makes it easier (at least for finger-challenged me) to jump from one instrument to another.

    My first ukulele was a RISA Solid Soprano. It has a reputation as a "travel mandolin alternative" when tuned GDAE and I got it for that reason. It piqued my interest in ukuleles and led to acquiring others. However, I found it a lot more comfortable to maintain one chord/key system than jump from GDAE to CGDA to GCEA, so GDAE got the nod. In doing so, it has helped performance across all the instruments, speed-wise and accuracy.
    ...SteveZ

    Ukuleles: Martin T1K (T)*, Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)**
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T)*, Lanikai LB6-S (S)*
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)***

    Tuning: *Reentrant C CGDA. **DAEB. ***GDAE. The rest are CGDA

    The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveZ View Post
    Anyone else tune their soprano and concert (or other) ukuleles GDAE?

    Since I already had my mandolins, tenor guitar and tenor banjo tuned GDAE, it just seemed logical to do the same with the ukuleles. It definitely makes it easier (at least for finger-challenged me) to jump from one instrument to another.

    My first ukulele was a RISA Solid Soprano. It has a reputation as a "travel mandolin alternative" when tuned GDAE and I got it for that reason. It piqued my interest in ukuleles and led to acquiring others. However, I found it a lot more comfortable to maintain one chord/key system than jump from GDAE to CGDA to GCEA, so GDAE got the nod. In doing so, it has helped performance across all the instruments, speed-wise and accuracy.
    I understand the concept..I have grappled with the mandolin...and I get your point ..but from an opposing point of view....coming from uke, guitar and a bit of balalaika the tunings are opposite ....so I tried tuning the mando GCEA......didn't really work to my ears ...though I may be should have changed the strings (?)

    I presume that the uke played GDAE sounds okay ? I may give it a whirl ....I presume it will need a low G on the G string course (soprano uke will be the "victim")

    Drowsy Maggie here we come ...!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Sumter County, FL
    Posts
    1,524

    Default

    I've used the Aquila 30U Soprano GDAE string set with no problems other than a popped E string. My E string substitute when/if needed has been 0.018" 20lb test monofilament line and it works well.

    On the concert ukuleles I use the Aquila 31U concert CGDA string set, tossing the C, using the G D A strings and the 0.018" line for the E. Have not experienced any stress problems with the substitute E and have not had one pop.
    ...SteveZ

    Ukuleles: Martin T1K (T)*, Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)**
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T)*, Lanikai LB6-S (S)*
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)***

    Tuning: *Reentrant C CGDA. **DAEB. ***GDAE. The rest are CGDA

    The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    new brunswick, new jersey
    Posts
    1,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CeeJay View Post
    I understand the concept..I have grappled with the mandolin...and I get your point ..but from an opposing point of view....coming from uke, guitar and a bit of balalaika the tunings are opposite ....so I tried tuning the mando GCEA......didn't really work to my ears ...though I may be should have changed the strings (?)

    I presume that the uke played GDAE sounds okay ? I may give it a whirl ....I presume it will need a low G on the G string course (soprano uke will be the "victim")

    Drowsy Maggie here we come ...!
    I believe aquilla might even make a set for 5ths tuning.
    However i think 5ths sound awful on a ukulele. If you wanna play the uke learn to play the uke in 4ths, and if you want a mandolin play a mandolin.
    Current Ukes:
    Makala Shark Soprano (high g)
    Vorson Steel String Solid Body Electric Tenor (low g)

    Electric Guitar/Electric Ukulele Based drone ambient music
    http://iamesper.bandcamp.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Sumter County, FL
    Posts
    1,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamesperambient View Post
    I believe aquilla might even make a set for 5ths tuning.
    However i think 5ths sound awful on a ukulele. If you wanna play the uke learn to play the uke in 4ths, and if you want a mandolin play a mandolin.
    I guess how it sounds is a matter of personal choice. Aquila 5ths strings work well (to me, anyway). if I don't prefer 4ths, that's my choice. Other stringed instruments (including ukukeles) are adaptable and played in several tuning systems, and there's nothing sacred about 4ths. If you choose a 4ths-only position, that's your right, but 4ths is not an absolute for all.
    ...SteveZ

    Ukuleles: Martin T1K (T)*, Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)**
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T)*, Lanikai LB6-S (S)*
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)***

    Tuning: *Reentrant C CGDA. **DAEB. ***GDAE. The rest are CGDA

    The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    new brunswick, new jersey
    Posts
    1,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveZ View Post
    I guess how it sounds is a matter of personal choice. Aquila 5ths strings work well (to me, anyway). if I don't prefer 4ths, that's my choice. Other stringed instruments (including ukukeles) are adaptable and played in several tuning systems, and there's nothing sacred about 4ths. If you choose a 4ths-only position, that's your right, but 4ths is not an absolute for all.
    I just don't get why you would want a ukulele to make it sound like not a ukulele,
    you may as well get a nice mandolin i really dont understand. If i want a mandolin
    sounding instrument i'd pick up a mandolin. The tuning is what gives the instrument
    its voice once you take away the tuning it really just sounds like a softer mandolin.
    Current Ukes:
    Makala Shark Soprano (high g)
    Vorson Steel String Solid Body Electric Tenor (low g)

    Electric Guitar/Electric Ukulele Based drone ambient music
    http://iamesper.bandcamp.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Sumter County, FL
    Posts
    1,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamesperambient View Post
    I just don't get why you would want a ukulele to make it sound like not a ukulele,
    you may as well get a nice mandolin i really dont understand. If i want a mandolin
    sounding instrument i'd pick up a mandolin. The tuning is what gives the instrument
    its voice once you take away the tuning it really just sounds like a softer mandolin.
    Ironically, the sound is not like a mandolin, at least not like any of the three mandolins currently in my stable, nor like the tenor guitar or the tenor banjo. The sound is "rounder" (wish I had a better word) and mellower than the mandolin which really sounds higher and sharper. The right-hand play is quite different, combined with the feel. the only things they have in common is to be four-string based and the string order. It's like comparing a piano and an accordian.

    Had the Mele and the Loprinzi at GCEA for a while, just to be "traditional," and would have put them back to GCEA if going GDAE came out lousy sound-wise, play-wise or was a damage risk. Perhaps the quality of these instruments is such that a variety of tunings are responsive.

    Earlier today I was alternating among the Loprinzi, a mandolin (Army-Navy style flat-top) and my tenor banjo, doing the same songs. The difference is like going (sound-wise and play-wise) from a motorcycle to a convertible to an SUV.
    ...SteveZ

    Ukuleles: Martin T1K (T)*, Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)**
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T)*, Lanikai LB6-S (S)*
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)***

    Tuning: *Reentrant C CGDA. **DAEB. ***GDAE. The rest are CGDA

    The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    new brunswick, new jersey
    Posts
    1,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveZ View Post
    Ironically, the sound is not like a mandolin, at least not like any of the three mandolins currently in my stable, nor like the tenor guitar or the tenor banjo. The sound is "rounder" (wish I had a better word) and mellower than the mandolin which really sounds higher and sharper. The right-hand play is quite different, combined with the feel. the only things they have in common is to be four-string based and the string order. It's like comparing a piano and an accordian.

    Had the Mele and the Loprinzi at GCEA for a while, just to be "traditional," and would have put them back to GCEA if going GDAE came out lousy sound-wise, play-wise or was a damage risk. Perhaps the quality of these instruments is such that a variety of tunings are responsive.

    Earlier today I was alternating among the Loprinzi, a mandolin (Army-Navy style flat-top) and my tenor banjo, doing the same songs. The difference is like going (sound-wise and play-wise) from a motorcycle to a convertible to an SUV.

    yeah i mean im sure the overall tone is different because its has a different design and nylon strings
    but the HUGE part of what gives the ukulele its sound is the reentrant tuning i think with out that
    it doesn't sound like a mandolin. Maybe what you really have is just a 'soprano tenor guitar' if thats even a thing
    maybe it is now.

    Ukulele chords i find to be just as easier to pick up if you play guitar/tenor guitar or mandolin.
    I started on guitar and learned ukulele and mandolin at the same time, it was pretty easy to learn both.
    I find mandolin or 5th's tuning in general less pleasing to my ears for whatever reason. I find it most pleasant on
    larger instruments though such as tenor banjo, tenor guitar or octave mandolin, but a small standard mandolin
    i just don't care for it's sound. but to each his own.
    Current Ukes:
    Makala Shark Soprano (high g)
    Vorson Steel String Solid Body Electric Tenor (low g)

    Electric Guitar/Electric Ukulele Based drone ambient music
    http://iamesper.bandcamp.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    new brunswick, new jersey
    Posts
    1,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveZ View Post
    Ironically, the sound is not like a mandolin, at least not like any of the three mandolins currently in my stable, nor like the tenor guitar or the tenor banjo. The sound is "rounder" (wish I had a better word) and mellower than the mandolin which really sounds higher and sharper. The right-hand play is quite different, combined with the feel. the only things they have in common is to be four-string based and the string order. It's like comparing a piano and an accordian.

    Had the Mele and the Loprinzi at GCEA for a while, just to be "traditional," and would have put them back to GCEA if going GDAE came out lousy sound-wise, play-wise or was a damage risk. Perhaps the quality of these instruments is such that a variety of tunings are responsive.

    Earlier today I was alternating among the Loprinzi, a mandolin (Army-Navy style flat-top) and my tenor banjo, doing the same songs. The difference is like going (sound-wise and play-wise) from a motorcycle to a convertible to an SUV.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_P7znmhxY0

    sure has hell doesn't sound like a ukulele, and their playing
    them like mandolins i don't i just don't get it sorry :0
    Current Ukes:
    Makala Shark Soprano (high g)
    Vorson Steel String Solid Body Electric Tenor (low g)

    Electric Guitar/Electric Ukulele Based drone ambient music
    http://iamesper.bandcamp.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    7,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamesperambient View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_P7znmhxY0

    sure has hell doesn't sound like a ukulele, and their playing
    them like mandolins i don't i just don't get it sorry :0
    I think its cool when people do non-traditional things to find their own sound. I admire the way you integrated your uke into ambient, something I hadn't heard before. I bet you saw a lot of people roll their eyes at the thought of a ukulele in ambient music, but you stuck to your guns and created something pretty interesting. People who are trying alternate tunings to find their sound are doing the same thing. They may end creating something cool, too!



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •