Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GDAE tuning?

Quote Originally Posted by CeeJay View Post
    I have PM'd you .
    received and responded.
    Now all continue on your normal discussion.
    Current Ukes:
    Makala Shark Soprano (high g)
    Vorson Steel String Solid Body Electric Tenor (low g)

Electric Guitar/Electric Ukulele Based drone ambient music
    http://iamesper.bandcamp.com

To resurrect this thread (and sidestep the fight), I'm thinking of setting up a tenor in fifths - would GDAE or CGDA be 'better' on the tenor scale?
    My reason is I want to start learning a bit more low-G linear, but there are scant resources for this on the interweb... then I realised there is tons of stuff for fifths tuning!
    I thought GDEA would be the right one as it is already close to GCEA, but will the longer scale of the tenor need CGDA like the mandola and viola?
    The human race will begin solving its problems on the day that it ceases taking itself so seriously. - Principia Discordia, Part 5

To be honest I do not know....You may have an issue with the wire wound low G trying to take it up five steps to C and it may not like the tension and bow the neck.

Go down to C and it will probably sound awfully slack .....plus you are going to have to take the E and A strings way beyond their comfort zone......I do not know how much leeway but you are talking nearly an octave for the E string and A will be higher as well.......I just tried it on Little Red (cheapy soprano) and stopped after doing G to C and C to G ......the strings did not like it and the two higher ones I don't think would have made it ....

Stick to GDAE, I would and if you want to go CGDA enquire about maybe a tenor banjo C string and some nylons that will reach those levels.......

Of course all of this could also be entirely wrong as well !!

Would recommend starting with CGDA with Aquila 31U. Aquila sells this Nygut CGDA set for concerts, but they should fit well enough on tenors What I did on my concerts to tune GDAE was take the GDA strings from the CGDA set, install them and then use 20-pound test (0.018") monofilament fishing line for the E. It all works well and sounds remarkably well.

The Aquila strings have always been available from Elderly Music. Southcoastukes.com just recently started stocking a GDAE set (#EFS17-RW) for tenors that's a bit pricy ($16 range), but the retailer's reputation is good. Either way, I'd get a $3 150-yard spool of 20-pound test from Walmart or equivalent for backup. If there is any problem, it's always with the durned high-E being too weak a string and potentially popping. By the way, have never had a problem with the Aquila Nygut CGDA strings popping.
    ...SteveZ

Ukuleles: Martin T1K (T)*, Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)**
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T)*, Lanikai LB6-S (S)*
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)***

Tuning: *Reentrant C CGDA. **DAEB. ***GDAE. The rest are CGDA

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveZ View Post
    Would recommend starting with CGDA with Aquila 31U. Aquila sells this Nygut CGDA set for concerts, but they should fit well enough on tenors What I did on my concerts to tune GDAE was take the GDA strings from the CGDA set, install them and then use 20-pound test (0.018") monofilament fishing line for the E. It all works well and sounds remarkably well.

The Aquila strings have always been available from Elderly Music. Southcoastukes.com just recently started stocking a GDAE set (#EFS17-RW) for tenors that's a bit pricy ($16 range), but the retailer's reputation is good. Either way, I'd get a $3 150-yard spool of 20-pound test from Walmart or equivalent for backup. If there is any problem, it's always with the durned high-E being too weak a string and potentially popping. By the way, have never had a problem with the Aquila Nygut CGDA strings popping.
    See ...I knew I would be wrong LOL

-ach what do I know? I'll stick to soprano and try that out at GDAE...Mandolele here we go...Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by CeeJay View Post
    See ...I knew I would be wrong LOL

-ach what do I know? I'll stick to soprano and try that out at GDAE...Mandolele here we go...Cheers.
    There is no wrong way when you're having fun.....

The Aquila Soprano 30U set is what I use for my sopranos. However, the $&@#^€#. E string is so thin half of them snap on me during installation. Ergo...the fishing line E string (which never breaks).

Later this week I think I'll do some sound samples with the various ukes at GDAE...something easy like "A Fool Such As I" - seems appropriate!
    ...SteveZ

Ukuleles: Martin T1K (T)*, Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)**

Quote Originally Posted by SteveZ View Post
    There is no wrong way when you're having fun.....
    This, of course, is always true!

Just the same, I think some people will have more fun when their set-up gives them back a good response and a pleasing tone.

All right, I know some folks enjoy the set-ups mentioned above, but we didn't like them at all. Ring it up to personal preference if you will, but any way you cut it, there are differences in classical strings and the instruments built for them vs. steel strings and the instruments built to handle them.

Coming from a background that included the Tenor Guitar (another 5ths tuning instrument) we fought for years to come up with what we considered to be clear, responsive 5ths tunings for the Ukulele. The best version of traditional linear tuning we ever came up with was c g d' a' for a 17" (Tenor Ukulele) scale. Even that had it's problems.

We discontinued that set as a result,and came up with two different reentrant versions - one taken from the Tenor Banjo and another from the Tenor Guitar. If you're interested, take a look at our site. Go to the "5ths Tuning" page in our string section (your own links are not allowed in the body of a letter here).
    Dirk Wormhoudt

email: sales@southcoastukes.com

I will head over and have a look... maybe low-G would just be easier! I love Dirk's constant effort to get people to use the strings that make their instrument sound as good as it should, despite us all insisting that stringing them with shoelaces or electrical wire and tuning them to AAAA sounds just fine
    The human race will begin solving its problems on the day that it ceases taking itself so seriously. - Principia Discordia, Part 5

Quote Originally Posted by Czutney View Post
    I will head over and have a look... maybe low-G would just be easier! I love Dirk's constant effort to get people to use the strings that make their instrument sound as good as it should, despite us all insisting that stringing them with shoelaces or electrical wire and tuning them to AAAA sounds just fine
    I second that.

Quote Originally Posted by drbekken View Post
    I second that.
    Have to admit to enjoy experimenting. GDAE with a low-G and high-E creates a unique sound on a ukulele.

For those who want as "pure" a ukulele sound, but the ability to chord in 5ths fashion, an alternative is to 1) leave the high-G alone, 2) tune the C to D, 3) swap the E and A strings, keeping them tuned to their original levels. For those who prefer the low-G sound, then replace the high-G with a low-G.

The above gives those of us who have difficulty smoothly swapping from a multitude of 5ths instruments (I have mandolins, tenor guitar and tenor banjo) to keep "muscle memory" standard across a bunch of instruments. The above also reduces string costs from "specialty 5ths" to standard strings.

There is a lot to be said for keeping instrument sound as "pure" as possible. The above basically has only one modification to GCEA, and that is changing the C to D. Among my ukulele herd, my Flea Soprano follows this alternative with a high-G, and my Mitchell Concert follows this alternative with a low-G.

For me the fun of ukulele includes the broad experimentation spectrum offered by four (or more) category sizes and the range of sounds from them all. Retirement is a great time to try new things.
    ...SteveZ

Thread Information