Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: GDAE tuning?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveZ View Post
    Have to admit to enjoy experimenting. GDAE with a low-G and high-E creates a unique sound on a ukulele.
    Oh, I'm probably going to try it one day... I just feel sorry for Dirk, sometimes he must dread reading our threads!
    The human race will begin solving its problems on the day that it ceases taking itself so seriously. - Principia Discordia, Part 5

I'm just spitballing here, but it seems to me that there are an awful lot of amazing experiments that use musical instruments in a non-traditional method.

GCEA is an alternative tuning and we all know how that worked out.

I dare say that clawhammer and frailing weren't techniques originally intended for the ukulele. For that matter even Travis Picking and all sorts of other techniques that the ukulele elitists love so much were imports from other types of instruments.

And of course where would we be without people learning percussive techniques. It ain't a drum, but someone who thought outside the box figured out how to make it sound like one just enough to add a whole new level of sound to the ukulele.

Personally, I'm in the "I don't get it." camp. But I know that I don't "get it". Apparently some folks do "get it" though, and if they can make music that they enjoy then that's great. If they can "get it" well enough to make music I enjoy, so much the better.

Who knows, maybe if I'm lucky someones experiments might help me "get it" enough to discover some wild, weird, wonderful way to play.

I'd hung back replying to this thread as I only found it after it had appeared to have degenerated into a bit of a mud-slinginging session. That all seems behind us now, so I'll post my tuppence-worth

I've had a set of Aquila 5th's on a soprano ukulele for some months and am thoroughly enjoying the experience. As a trainee-wannabe mandolin player it gives me an instrument to practice my fingerings on without the volume of my mandolin (who wants to hear mistakes repeated loudly ?)

I'll disagree with many other posters in that I still feel it "sounds like" a ukulele, but a ukulele that is being played as a melody instrument. This being a characteristic of the small wooden body and "nylon" strings. The bonuses are the much wider range of notes available, there's over two octaves available in the first position, and the wide range of sheet music and tabs that were originally designed for mandolin or fiddle

I'll not promote a ukulele tuned in fifths as a strumming instrument, perfectly possible but that's certainly not the "ukulele sound", nor for finger-picking, bluegrass or playing with a bow!! ... as a melody instrument, it's great!
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

Ironically, depending which GDAE one chooses, the sound is indeed different.

Right now I have two sopranos (Flea and Mele) using standard GCEA strings, but the C tuned to D and the E and A interchanged on the instrument. So, the "sound" hasn't really changed that much (C to D on one string), but the chord-fingering (for me, anyway) is a lot more hand-friendly and takes advantage of what I do on three other instruments.

I also have two concerts (Loprinzi and Mitchell) set up the same as above, but with a wound low-G - somewhat different sound with the low G and the C-to D and again the fingering advantage.

My RISA Solid Soprano is tuned GDAE with low-G and high-E similar to mandolin, and tenor guitar and tenor banjo when tuned "Irish." The RISA is this way to act as a suitcase-capable travel mandolin/TG/TB. The sound is definitely different than the other ukuleles and much more m/TG/TB.

I've tried the Aquila soprano and concert 5ths strings as designed and differently. For true 5ths tuning and sound, to me they are okay, but not great. On the soprano set, the E is so thin that snapping during tuning is 50-50, leading me to have to use 0.018" monofilament fishing line as the E (very strong, sounds pretty good) instead. On the concert set, the CGDA just sounds "off" to me, leading me to ditch the C, move the G-D-A strings over and add the 0.018" alternative E. This has caused me to prefer the modified GCEA string use earlier mentioned, with a wound low-G on the concerts.

So, it's GDAE, but it is and isn't at the same time. It all depends how you want to view it.
    ...SteveZ

Ukuleles: Martin T1K (T)*, Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)**
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T)*, Lanikai LB6-S (S)*
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)***

Tuning: *Reentrant C CGDA. **DAEB. ***GDAE. The rest are CGDA

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by kypfer View Post
    I'd hung back replying to this thread as I only found it after it had appeared to have degenerated into a bit of a mud-slinginging session. That all seems behind us now, so I'll post my tuppence-worth

I've had a set of Aquila 5th's on a soprano ukulele for some months and am thoroughly enjoying the experience. As a trainee-wannabe mandolin player it gives me an instrument to practice my fingerings on without the volume of my mandolin (who wants to hear mistakes repeated loudly ?)

I'll disagree with many other posters in that I still feel it "sounds like" a ukulele, but a ukulele that is being played as a melody instrument. This being a characteristic of the small wooden body and "nylon" strings. The bonuses are the much wider range of notes available, there's over two octaves available in the first position, and the wide range of sheet music and tabs that were originally designed for mandolin or fiddle

I'll not promote a ukulele tuned in fifths as a strumming instrument, perfectly possible but that's certainly not the "ukulele sound", nor for finger-picking, bluegrass or playing with a bow!! ... as a melody instrument, it's great!
    I feel like a 5th's tuning maybe be nice on a baritone uke, just because of its size and resonance i feel
    the baritone is the best uke for trying different tunings. Do they make 5th sets for baritone?
    if i could get kind of an 'octave mandolin' sound out of my baritone i may try it just to get
    comfortable with the sound and feel to see if i'd like to actually get an actual octave mandolin.
    I do like how larger mandolin family instruments sound but standard smaller mandolin i'm not a big
    fan of the sound.
    Current Ukes:
    Makala Shark Soprano (high g)
    Vorson Steel String Solid Body Electric Tenor (low g)

Electric Guitar/Electric Ukulele Based drone ambient music
    http://iamesper.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by iamesperambient View Post
    I feel like a 5th's tuning maybe be nice on a baritone uke, just because of its size and resonance i feel
    the baritone is the best uke for trying different tunings. Do they make 5th sets for baritone?
    if i could get kind of an 'octave mandolin' sound out of my baritone i may try it just to get
    comfortable with the sound and feel to see if i'd like to actually get an actual octave mandolin.
    I do like how larger mandolin family instruments sound but standard smaller mandolin i'm not a big
    fan of the sound.
    The last time you waded into this thread with nothing but a negative opinion, the thread deteriorated. The thread started by looking for folk who do GDAE so experiences could be shared. Having folk ask questions about the topic is a normal expectation. It's called information-sharing.

We get it. You don't like it. Now that the world has been told a couple of times in this thread what your opinion regarding GDAE and 5ths is, how about the courtesy of letting folk share and enjoy without "your opinion" why you don't approve?
    ...SteveZ

Ukuleles: Martin T1K (T)*, Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)**

The closest I've got to a baritone ukulele is a 1/4-size guitar, with a 19" scale. Just out of interest, I'd re-grooved the nut to take four strings and shuffled the existing nylon (guitar) strings around to give me a GDAE tuning an octave below my mandolin/soprano ukulele. It works, the instrument sounds just like it always did (when used for melody), but with the advantages of having just 4 strings to contend with. The chords sound "different" to a normal guitar, inevitably

So, in answer to your question, you'll probably be able to use a set of standard nylon guitar strings if you can't find a set of "5th's" specifically for a baritone ukulele.
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveZ View Post
    The last time you waded into this thread with nothing but a negative opinion, the thread deteriorated. The thread started by looking for folk who do GDAE so experiences could be shared. Having folk ask questions about the topic is a normal expectation. It's called information-sharing.

We get it. You don't like it. Now that the world has been told a couple of times in this thread what your opinion regarding GDAE and 5ths is, how about the courtesy of letting folk share and enjoy without "your opinion" why you don't approve?
    actually i just said i would like to try it on my baritone and was wondering if they made baritone 5th's tuning strings...wasn't doing anything other than that.
    Current Ukes:

Quote Originally Posted by kypfer View Post
    The closest I've got to a baritone ukulele is a 1/4-size guitar, with a 19" scale. Just out of interest, I'd re-grooved the nut to take four strings and shuffled the existing nylon (guitar) strings around to give me a GDAE tuning an octave below my mandolin/soprano ukulele. It works, the instrument sounds just like it always did (when used for melody), but with the advantages of having just 4 strings to contend with. The chords sound "different" to a normal guitar, inevitably

So, in answer to your question, you'll probably be able to use a set of standard nylon guitar strings if you can't find a set of "5th's" specifically for a baritone ukulele.

thank you for the answer maybe even south coast make's a set for this.
    I'm considering getting an an octave mandolin or tenor guitar in the future
    (this fall) and i'd like to prepare for the tuning and figured i could learn it better
    by trying on my baritone. I did it on my electric baritone but it doesn't feel right
    being its not acoustic.
    Current Ukes:

Quote Originally Posted by iamesperambient View Post
    actually i just said i would like to try it on my baritone and was wondering if they made baritone 5th's tuning strings...wasn't doing anything other than that.
    Then let's leave it at that....

A baritone's scale is 19" while tenor guitar is 21-23", depending on short/standard scale. GDAE String sets for baritone uke have been tried by tenor guitarists and the link below is to a thread on a tenor guitar forum where this "problem" and a solution has come up. It's been a matter of experimentation to have an even shorter-scale tenor guitar-like instrument and sound using a baritone ukulele as the test platform. Bottom line is it has been done, and relatively successfully.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...do-GDAE-tuning
    Last edited by SteveZ; 07-11-2014 at 01:06 PM.
    ...SteveZ

Thread Information