Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 60 of 60

Thread: GDAE tuning?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Englandshire
    Posts
    3,820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamesperambient View Post
    it actually sounds/feels/handles very much
    like a fender strat
    I don't get how you can keep making this claim. The scale length is 3.5" shorter than a strat, which means the string tension will feel completely different, not to mention the sound. It has a humbucker, not single coil, so it won't sound anything like a strat, unless you're comparing it to a strat with a humbucker, which again sounds nothing like a strat. The neck width at the nut is 2/8" narrower than a strat, so the neck and string spacing will be nothing like a strat. It's shaped like a toilet seat, with no contouring whatsoever, so I can't see how it even remotely "handles" like a strat. The pickup is mounted almost at the bottom of the neck, which won't come close to giving the sort of tone that people associate with the "strat sound".

    I can only assume you've never played a strat (and in case you were thinking of employing the "well I bet you haven't either" argument, I've owned half a dozen or more over the last 35 years, and played/setup hundreds more).

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    new brunswick, new jersey
    Posts
    1,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna View Post
    I don't get how you can keep making this claim. The scale length is 3.5" shorter than a strat, which means the string tension will feel completely different, not to mention the sound. It has a humbucker, not single coil, so it won't sound anything like a strat, unless you're comparing it to a strat with a humbucker, which again sounds nothing like a strat. The neck width at the nut is 2/8" narrower than a strat, so the neck and string spacing will be nothing like a strat. It's shaped like a toilet seat, with no contouring whatsoever, so I can't see how it even remotely "handles" like a strat. The pickup is mounted almost at the bottom of the neck, which won't come close to giving the sort of tone that people associate with the "strat sound".

    I can only assume you've never played a strat (and in case you were thinking of employing the "well I bet you haven't either" argument, I've owned half a dozen or more over the last 35 years, and played/setup hundreds more).
    My first guitar i got on my 16th birthday (im 32) was a vintage 70's fender strat(set up to my specs actually with humbuckers from the shop i got it from and repainted blue). I'm saying it has a nice twang of a fender strat. The neck is nice and solid like a fender. Also you haven't actually played the konablaster baritone (unless you have) i'm not sure how you can make these assumptions about it's sound until you play one. I'm not sure what kind of toilet seats you sat on but that would be quite an odd toilet seat( i guess a kamaka pinapple is a toilet seat too). We are having a friendly discussion about 5th's tuning I'm trying to just get some pointers on testing this out in the hope of obtaining a tenor guitar, this isn't a discussion about konablaster's and if you like them or not.
    Last edited by iamesperambient; 07-13-2014 at 06:42 AM.
    Current Ukes:
    Makala Shark Soprano (high g)
    Vorson Steel String Solid Body Electric Tenor (low g)

    Electric Guitar/Electric Ukulele Based drone ambient music
    http://iamesper.bandcamp.com

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Englandshire
    Posts
    3,820

    Default

    I never said I didn't like them, I've never played one, as you so accurately surmised. However, UU members use the opinions given on this forum to help with their purchasing decisions, and I would hate to think that someone would purchase what is probably the least "stratty" instrument on the face of the earth based on your description.

    If you had, as you claim, a 70's strat with humbuckers, then someone must have carved the crap out of the body, because I've never seen a strat from that era with a body channeled for a humbucker (and really, applying the word "vintage" to a 70's strat is about as much of a stretch as you describing your konablaster as "luthier built").

    The only reason any Strats can be described as having "a nice solid neck" is due to the piss-poor quality control in the CBS days.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Sumter County, FL
    Posts
    1,524

    Default

    Perhaps another thread needs to be originated on electrified instruments and their inherent differences. This thread has had one "history" already and deserves a chance to stay on track.

    Back to the original topic:

    Have not known anyone who has tried GDAE or any 5ths on a tenor ukulele. Have read a couple discussions about it, but no progress reports. any info/experiences would be appreciated.
    ...SteveZ

    Ukuleles: Martin T1K (T)*, Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)**
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T)*, Lanikai LB6-S (S)*
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)***

    Tuning: *Reentrant C CGDA. **DAEB. ***GDAE. The rest are CGDA

    The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Englandshire
    Posts
    3,820

    Default

    In the spirit of the topic, if that tuning works for you, stick with it mate. After 37 years of guitar, I wouldn't have touched the uke with a bargepole if it hadn't been tuned to the same intervals. Don't get me wrong, I love open tunings on guitar, but I consider that "situational". I'd have to really want to learn an instrument badly to consider something whose "standard" tuning was totally out of whack with what I'm used to.

    Of course, that's just me...now where did I put my diddley bow?

  6. #56
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Sumter County, FL
    Posts
    1,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna View Post
    In the spirit of the topic, if that tuning works for you, stick with it mate. After 37 years of guitar, I wouldn't have touched the uke with a bargepole if it hadn't been tuned to the same intervals. Don't get me wrong, I love open tunings on guitar, but I consider that "situational". I'd have to really want to learn an instrument badly to consider something whose "standard" tuning was totally out of whack with what I'm used to.

    Of course, that's just me...now where did I put my diddley bow?
    That's what led me to GDAE on a uke. I play too many instruments with a 5ths chord pattern to not give it a shot on ukulele as well. A half-century of gnarled fingers trying to do six-string somewhat musical is what ked me to mandolin and then other instruments of like pattern....old dog, new tricks syndrome!
    ...SteveZ

    Ukuleles: Martin T1K (T)*, Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)**
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T)*, Lanikai LB6-S (S)*
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)***

    Tuning: *Reentrant C CGDA. **DAEB. ***GDAE. The rest are CGDA

    The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    814

    Default

    I'll take a middle position here.

    I don't see why one would bother buying a ukulele and then turn it into a mandolin. On the other hand, it is a very fortunate fact that I don't make the rules for what other people do ;-)

    So if it turns your crank, go for it!
    Allan

    Frequently Played
    National Triolian
    Godin Multi-Uke
    Kala 5-String
    Martin Style 2
    Koaloha Sceptre
    Other Instruments
    Harmonica, Lap Steel, Flute, Guitar

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    new brunswick, new jersey
    Posts
    1,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna View Post
    I never said I didn't like them, I've never played one, as you so accurately surmised. However, UU members use the opinions given on this forum to help with their purchasing decisions, and I would hate to think that someone would purchase what is probably the least "stratty" instrument on the face of the earth based on your description.

    If you had, as you claim, a 70's strat with humbuckers, then someone must have carved the crap out of the body, because I've never seen a strat from that era with a body channeled for a humbucker (and really, applying the word "vintage" to a 70's strat is about as much of a stretch as you describing your konablaster as "luthier built").

    The only reason any Strats can be described as having "a nice solid neck" is due to the piss-poor quality control in the CBS days.


    Bruce of blue star is very much a luthier
    each instrument including mine is hand made
    in his workshop I'm paw paw Michigan therefore
    it is luthier built and not a factory made instrument
    he also makes customs to order. mine has a nice
    bluesy twang to it that's all I was trying to say
    a nice solid built clear twangy sound good intonation
    and nice solid neck. and just as good in my opinion
    as the fenders I have played.
    http://bluestarguitarcompany.com

    as for trying these tunings I'm trying
    to get into playing tenor guitar in 5ths
    and I want instruments to practice and get
    used to the sound before I buy one which will
    be a few months.
    Last edited by iamesperambient; 07-13-2014 at 08:48 AM.
    Current Ukes:
    Makala Shark Soprano (high g)
    Vorson Steel String Solid Body Electric Tenor (low g)

    Electric Guitar/Electric Ukulele Based drone ambient music
    http://iamesper.bandcamp.com

  9. #59
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Sumter County, FL
    Posts
    1,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allanr View Post
    I'll take a middle position here.

    I don't see why one would bother buying a ukulele and then turn it into a mandolin. On the other hand, it is a very fortunate fact that I don't make the rules for what other people do ;-)

    So if it turns your crank, go for it!
    That's the point. It's not turning a ukulele into a mandolin (or tenor guitar, or tenor banjo) at all. GDAE on a uke is high-G or low-G, C-to-D, A stays the same, E4 or E5 - whatever works. I've done all combinations and have my preferences by ukulele size. Playability-wise, no ukulele will play like a mandolin or vice-versa. This isn't simply "5ths" as the options are greater than that.

    For me, it's taking advantage of existing muscle memory across several instruments and adapting another into the mix. That just makes each instrument a "trainer" for the others with the end result being a bit better on all because of the left-hand redundacy and reinforcement.
    ...SteveZ

    Ukuleles: Martin T1K (T)*, Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)**
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T)*, Lanikai LB6-S (S)*
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)***

    Tuning: *Reentrant C CGDA. **DAEB. ***GDAE. The rest are CGDA

    The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    new brunswick, new jersey
    Posts
    1,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveZ View Post
    That's the point. It's not turning a ukulele into a mandolin (or tenor guitar, or tenor banjo) at all. GDAE on a uke is high-G or low-G, C-to-D, A stays the same, E4 or E5 - whatever works. I've done all combinations and have my preferences by ukulele size. Playability-wise, no ukulele will play like a mandolin or vice-versa. This isn't simply "5ths" as the options are greater than that.

    For me, it's taking advantage of existing muscle memory across several instruments and adapting another into the mix. That just makes each instrument a "trainer" for the others with the end result being a bit better on all because of the left-hand redundacy and reinforcement.
    that's exactly it for me a trainer
    for tenor guitar so I will be decent
    by the time I can purchase one
    Current Ukes:
    Makala Shark Soprano (high g)
    Vorson Steel String Solid Body Electric Tenor (low g)

    Electric Guitar/Electric Ukulele Based drone ambient music
    http://iamesper.bandcamp.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •